Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Here's a thing that I always had with WALL-E. And it's not a flaw in the slightest. It's just a tiny nitpick. But I always found it somewhat strange for the human characters in the movie to be animated and practically blobs, after the movie showed us live-action humans earlier on.

Commode

But those live action humans(really just Fred Willard) were shown in archived footage that was over 700 years old by that point, and I guess the movie they showed WALL-E watching.  The humans that were on the ship were barely humans, they regressed that far, pretty much to the point were they didn't even fundamentally function as humans.  Plus depicting those overweight and barely mobile characters as live action probably would've been pretty jarring.

btw, I think I could go several years without seeing this movie again, it has been screened dozens of times on my ship in the last four months, same with fucking Toy Story(never thought I'd say this), The Sandlot, and Angels in the goddamned Outfield.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Having not seen it since it was brand new, I have finally gotten around to rewatching The Incredibles. It's better than I remembered. I dare say it's rather, well, incredible. But I suppose by default it ends up being lower tier Pixar, not that that's a bad thing at all.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually consider it upper-tier with Up and Wall*E.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The Incredibles doesn't really get as emotional as some of Pixar's other films, which is probably why it doesn't make it high on a lot of people's lists. But I find the general lack of a sob factor a brisk change of pace in the film.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I really like it, too, and I can see how the lack of sob factor is a nice change of pace. I just love Pixar and am a huge fan of nearly all their movies (except Cars and Cars 2 which weren't anything special, and I haven't seen Brave yet). Maybe once I give it some more time to let it settle, The Incredibles will move up my list.

talonmalon333

And I just got done seeing Up for a second time (I haven't seen it since it first came out in 2009 or 2010). That movie is just beautiful.

Next week I'm gonna see Brave, which is the only Pixar movie I haven't seen yet.

Avaitor

Reviews for Monsters U are coming in, and surprisingly, they aren't THAT positive. They're not really negative though, but you would've expected it to be higher than 71%, right?

The reception seems to be that it's good, but not really great. Fun, but not at the level of Pixar's best.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

That's too bad, but I'm sure I'll like it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

So tonight I finally got around to seeing Brave (the only Pixar movie I hadn't yet seen). Honestly, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I liked what was going on, the animation was better than ever, and the music was great. I'd say Merida is one of the top 3 best Disney Princesses, alongside Belle and Giselle (screw what Disney says, she deserves to count as a Disney Princess).

Also, Mor'du has an excellent design that is legitimately intimidating.

Avaitor

That reminds me, talon, have you seen Princess and the Frog or Tangled yet?

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on June 11, 2013, 10:09:33 AM

Not yet. All I know is that Tangled was supposedly really good. What do you think?

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 11, 2013, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on June 11, 2013, 10:09:33 AM

Not yet. All I know is that Tangled was supposedly really good. What do you think?
I prefer TPATF, but you really should check them both out. I'd put Tiana and Rapunzel high among my favorite princesses.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 11, 2013, 06:14:52 PM
Here's an unpopular opinion.

I consider Brave to be completely middle tier for Pixar. Like, as middle as possible.

And on that note, I figure I might as well rank them. Of the 13 movies, Brave falls dead center at #7.

1. Toy Story 3
2. Toy Story
3. Toy Story 2  :awesome:
4. WALL-E
5. Finding Nemo
6. Up
7. Brave
8. The Incredibles
9. Monsters, Inc.
10. A Bug's Life
11. Ratatouille
12. Cars
13. Cars 2

To be honest, I love every movie there from 1-10. As for Ratatouille, I like that movie but don't love it. The Cars movies are decent entertainment for kids, but I don't think much more of them.

The Shadow Gentleman

Let me try. It's been a while since I've seen many of these movies, though.

1. Up
2. Toy Story 3
3. Toy Story 2
4. WALL-E
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Ratatouille
8. The Incredibles
9. Finding Nemo
10. A Bug's Life
11. Brave/Cars (it's a tie for me)
12. Cars 2