Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 04, 2015, 01:55:37 PM
Both of these look really promising, so I hope they mark a return to form for Pixar. Can't wait to see 'em!

I wouldn't say they've ever really fallen out of form, if that makes sense.

Avaitor

98%, and according to everyone I know who went to an early showing, the reviews aren't just for show. This really is their best film since Toy Story 3.

If anyone could wash away the taste of their last few mediocre films (and let's face it, if you take away Mike and Sulley, there really isn't much of anything to Monsters U), it's Pete Docter. I can't wait til I get to go.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

As I've said many times, Up is one of my favorite films, so I'm really anticipating this. Glad to hear that Pete Docter hits it out of the park again.

Shame I probably won't get to see this until next week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I still don't know why Brave gets such mediocre reception. Being a middle tier Pixar movie is nothing to be ashamed of.

Avaitor

For every person that found Brave mediocre, there are nearly as many people who think that it flat-out sucks. And considerably less people who like it a lot.

I've never seen a Pixar, or even a Disney movie as a whole, more divided than Brave.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 19, 2015, 03:17:33 PM
Not even the Cars films?
Nah, most people over the age of 8 just simply don't care about them. Brave seems far more divided.

Maybe Frozen kind of is too, but I think a lot of the criticism comes (rightfully) from fatigue over its massive marketing campaign. Give it a few years, and maybe some of its detractors will warm up to it.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on June 19, 2015, 03:09:45 PM
For every person that found Brave mediocre, there are nearly as many people who think that it flat-out sucks. And considerably less people who like it a lot.

I've never seen a Pixar, or even a Disney movie as a whole, more divided than Brave.

But I still don't know why people think it's mediocre. :P

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 19, 2015, 03:17:33 PM
Not even the Cars films?

Cars isn't all that divided since almost everyone agrees it's the worst Pixar movie, alongside its sequel

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, but I also haven't much of a problem with recent Pixar films. Toy Story 3 is one of their best movies. Brave was decent. I actually really did enjoy Monster's University, my real issue comes with a sequel to Finding Nemo. A movie nobody asked for or needed.

Pete Docter, however, directed the original Monster's Inc. (the movie that put Pixar on the map as more than a one hit wonder), and Up (one of my favorite movies), so I've been anticipating Inside Out for awhile now.

The unknown is The Good Dinosaur. Since it had so many production problems, I'm just hoping they pulled it together again. On the other hand, it's not another sequel, so that's nice.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 19, 2015, 03:25:24 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on June 19, 2015, 03:09:45 PM

But I still don't know why people think it's mediocre. :P
Well, I've secretly moved from the "Brave is mediocre" to "Brave is bad" camp, but I will say that the mother/daughter dynamic is strong... but probably would have been stronger if there was any incentive to like Merida, at all. I find her annoying and devoid of personality, while the comic relief is among the most juvenile and pointless in a Pixar movie, to the point that it's obvious how compromised the final product is.

I just don't like it very much at all. I mean, Brave has got to be better than Home on the Range, but it's still low-tier for me.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 19, 2015, 03:25:24 PMBut I still don't know why people think it's mediocre. :P

Two words: Missed opportunity.

Brave was too small in scope and could've been something bigger than it was advertised as being. The trailers showed a princess going on what would seem like an epic adventure. Instead, we get a repeat of Brother Bear.

talonmalon333

So Inside Out was spectacular. Any opinions here from anyone who watched it?

Avaitor

I sadly probably won't get to see it until next week, so if you guys don't mind hiding your spoilers, that would be great.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I'm guessing I'm the only one that likes Cars here.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 19, 2015, 11:51:13 PM
I'm guessing I'm the only one that likes Cars here.

I actually enjoyed the first movie. Haven't seen the sequel, and don't really plan to in the immediate future.