What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Saw a used copy of Nier at GameStop last year and almost picked it up. That was just before the sequel was announced and its Amazon price skyrocketed. Kind of regret not getting that now. Wonder if it's still there.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on May 16, 2016, 10:15:45 PM
Saw a used copy of Nier at GameStop last year and almost picked it up. That was just before the sequel was announced and its Amazon price skyrocketed. Kind of regret not getting that now. Wonder if it's still there.
It should be cheap again now! I got my friend a copy of the game for his birthday last month and it was only $20 new on Amazon. :D

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on May 16, 2016, 10:40:16 PM
It should be cheap again now! I got my friend a copy of the game for his birthday last month and it was only $20 new on Amazon. :D

Well, shit, then that's definitely back on my radar. Once I saw that price going up after the sequel announcement I figured I had missed the boat to get the thing.

Peanutbutter

I rented Mad Max, and egad did I get ambushed! This game is AMAZING. The combat is awesome, similar to the Batman Arkham games but unique enough to stand on its own. Its so intense that I really feel like I actually hit a marauder's face when the controller vibrates. There's tons of different things to do in the game too. Finding mine fields, looting camps and hideouts of bandits, stunt jumps, harpooning guideposts, blowing up cars by plowing into them. This game is a real blast.

gunswordfist

Started Chains Of Olympus. Readjusted to its controls again. It was one of the only PSP games I have ever played.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

After over 2 hours (most of which were cutscenes) I finally reached the main opening title sequence of the game. Yep, this is definitely Metal Gear Solid.

gunswordfist

Damn, I started Geometry Wars 3 on Vita today and it has bosses and upgrades. That pleasantly caught me off guard. After 2 being kind of lackluster, this was great to see.

gunswordfist

I am about to play Borderlands 2 on Vita. Still can't believe that I own this!

Spark Of Spirit

I've been playing a bunch of EDF. Specifically Insect Armageddon.

Man, these games are such simple fun.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Got Gungrave Overdose on Amazon for cheap, which I've been playing while concurrently watching the anime. It's a really solid arcade-style TPS with excellent combat and a great cast of characters,  but unfortunately it has a few problems that really hold it back. The lock on is incredibly finnicky and unreliable, the camera can work against you half the time, and some of the bosses are the most poorly designed I've ever experienced. The story is fun, and while it's not exactly what I'd call well-written (especially compared to the anime) its cast is cool, likable, and interesting enough to make up for its shortcomings, it also really hinges on you having either played the first game or watched the anime to get any real emotional attachment to the returning characters. It's for that reason that I'm holding off on finishing the game until I've watched all the anime.

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've gotten past The Pain boss fight and up to the warehouse section of MGS3 so far. As far as stealth goes, my strategy just boils down to landing headshots with the Mk-22 on any opposition within my direct path, and just ignoring anyone else too far away to notice me. I also remember the grenade trick which my friend showed me over a decade ago, so that comes in handy when I want to move quickly without making noise.

I feel like an idiot for not realizing that you had to equip new weapons from the backpack menu. I don't really understand the point of it, but I had to make it through the Ocelot fight with limited ammo because I didn't yet realize that I could use other guns for the fight. Consequently, The Pain boss fight felt like a joke in comparison.

As for the cure system, I do think it's kind of neat even if it is rather contrived, but I'm not a fan of the stamina meter. It just feels tacked on and is a nuisance without really adding anything of value to the gameplay.

gunswordfist

Within pretty much just today and yesterday, I've put in about 10 hours on Muramusa : Rebirth. I am loving this game and it is making me love my Vita more.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I started playing Dark Souls. I can't really say much yet since I've only played as far as Firelink Shrine, meaning that I only got through the tutorial stage and haven't actually encountered any of the game's challenging content yet. That said, this is definitely the sort of game that will either float or sink for me based entirely on how much I like the mechanics.

I'm also still working my way through Metal Gear on the MSX. I've made it up to the part where I beat the Machinegun Kid boss fight and acquired the parachute. Admittedly, I had to use a guide at one part in the game so far, and that was for the maze section with the guard dogs all over the room. I never would have figured out to use the plastic explosives on weak points on the wall (or rather I probably wouldn't have thought to check for weak spots on the wall) on my own. That's almost as cruel as the original Zelda expecting you to know exactly which trees to blow up in an area full of them.

Foggle

Yeah, that was the part I was talking about needing a guide for!