What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Mustang

Trails of Cold Steel 2
Done. This might be the longest out of the 4. Granted, a lot of it was optional, but I chose to go for it anyway. Playing again to make an overpowered party now.

Guilty Gear Strive
Definitely a fun game. I do like it, but not over the previous games. Then again this can be solved depending on who exactly is in the DLC because the problem I'm running into is finding a character that suits me. Right now I'm settling on Sol and Giovanna and as fun as Sol is he's not that character I gel with at the moment. Leo, as aggressive as he is don't fit my style of aggressive even though I can probably just use him the same way. Giovanna fits but she just feels so incomplete at the moment.

That being said I've been watching some high level play which has been awesome, I wish ASW would find a way to put GGXXACR+ on the PS4/5 with the same netcode that's on the PC version or use the same netcode for Strive. The freedom, while it's there, I just enjoy the freedom more in +R.

And I hope they don't abandon GranBlue Fantasy. I hope they can somehow improve the netcode in that game as well. Saw a new character that reminds me of Wolverine was announced and sparked my interest again.

As for them weird party games like Among Us. I still watch people play, but I've mainly been watch ZeRoyalViking play with ChilledChaos's crew. Smart bunch of crazy idiots creating chaos. I saw that there was a new update to the game but it certainly does seem like it's on its last leg.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Trails of Cold Steel 3
I think I like the new Class 7 over the old in terms of characterization (and there's only 1 character that I don't care for at all and that's because he's so boring). Anyway, currently on chapter 3 and having a hard time trying to customize Rean mainly because I don't know what I want his role to be at the moment. I've never been into healers, but at the same time I already have my damage dealer and nuke set in stone (just waiting to get more stuff). We'll see by the time I get to the end of the chapter.

So, what's been on the brain lately (hasn't been fighting games)? Good ole Dark Souls. Of all games, Dark Souls. I've always been curious about the series but never decided to make the leap. With Elden Ring coming I'm more interested than ever. The main reason being is that I'm curious why everyone is always gushing about it. I still listen to Easy Allies and it's like they can't go a day without mentioning Souls/Borne. IMO, I think Nioh shits on the souls/borne games at least in terms of combat, but they would always say something along the line of everything is perfect. I recall Huber once stating that he had to hard quit Nioh because it was too hard. So you can imagine me when I hear things like that and then hear you say Sekiro has the best combat?! I have no problem with that (in the back of my mind I'm calling BS though) but I've been going over this for a little bit now. What the hell am I missing? I watched The Completionist talk about it and he's the only one that actually went into any kind of relevant thought. I can definitely see the world and lore being the draw, but if you tell me combat but then take issue with Nioh I'm going to question you or call BS. All that being said I'm still very curious about Dark Souls but I don't see myself playing all of them. I may get DS3 and call it a day until ER comes out.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Huber is also the same guy who thinks Nu God of War is a 10/10 masterpiece, so it's clear he values different aspects of gaming. I don't inherently have a problem with that but the odd thing about him saying that Nioh is too hard while he's clearly a fan of Dark Souls makes me believe that he's trying to approach Nioh as if it were a FromSoftware Souls game. Despite being inspired by it, the mechanics are entirely different, and the funny thing is that it's far easier to exploit Nioh's mechanics to cheese enemies and bosses than it is to do so in any Souls game. If you take the time to understand the game on it's own terms, it's really not nearly as difficult as it initially seems. I'd argue Sekiro was actually more difficult to beat than either Nioh game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm effectively close to the end of Metroid Fusion, but I'll be doing a run of all six zones to try and get all remaining collectible items that I missed since I always like to 100% all Metroid games (except for scanning everything in Metroid Prime....that was too much). As someone who doesn't have any previous nostalgia for this game, it's way better than some fans give it credit for. Yes, it is linear in nature, which may feel like a betrayal of the series' routes, but that doesn't make it condescending to the player. The AI gives you a clear objective marked on your map at all times, but it's more about traversing the environment and figuring out how to get there that makes it interesting. The game doesn't hold your hand by any means. It also allows for more intense encounters and this is easily a far more challenging Metroid game than most, which I actually quite like. The music and sprite-work are also top-notch. It's not as good as Super Metroid, no, but it's still pretty great in it's own right, IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, nevermind. It turns out the game locks you out of being able to access any zones outside of the Main Deck for no good reason once you trigger Adam's final order. This would obviously be the perfect chance for players to have one last go to get everything that they missed, but you're effectively forced into the endgame. That's just a stupid design choice, IMO.

Still, I stand by my opinion on the rest of the game. It's a solid action platformer overall.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 12, 2021, 04:26:59 PM
Huber is also the same guy who thinks Nu God of War is a 10/10 masterpiece, so it's clear he values different aspects of gaming. I don't inherently have a problem with that but the odd thing about him saying that Nioh is too hard while he's clearly a fan of Dark Souls makes me believe that he's trying to approach Nioh as if it were a FromSoftware Souls game. Despite being inspired by it, the mechanics are entirely different, and the funny thing is that it's far easier to exploit Nioh's mechanics to cheese enemies and bosses than it is to do so in any Souls game. If you take the time to understand the game on it's own terms, it's really not nearly as difficult as it initially seems. I'd argue Sekiro was actually more difficult to beat than either Nioh game.

To be fair, I think Huber is one of those types that favor story over everything else so I expect that from him (The amount of times I've rolled my eyes at him every time he brings up story over gameplay is too much to count). It's the rest of the allies that I question for actually letting him off saying things like that without any pushback whatsoever.

I did end up buying Dark Souls 3 though. Probably won't start it anytime soon though. Too invested in Trails, Persona and Guilty Gear. I really need to stop buying games until I finish a 3rd of my backlog.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Metroid: Zero Mission may end up being my favorite game in the entire series, though we'll have to see how the final third plays out as that part can be polarizing among the fans (I'm currently at the point where I'm ready to fight Mother Brain). However, it has the best core gameplay of any game in the series that I've played thus far, and I love how the game is designed with sequence-breaking in mind. Since I'm already familiar with the original NES game which I had beat using a walkthrough, I totally used similar tricks that I learned in that game and despite very different mechanics, a lot of that stuff still worked here. I was able to get to areas way before I was intended to, and in fact actually got to Ridley's lair before Kraid's and actually defeated Ridley before I had even gotten the Varia suit. It really felt like I explored at my own will and crafted my own adventure.

It's funny, playing something like this essentially proves something that I have thought about the Zelda series. It's entirely possible to combine Breath of the Wild's freedom of exploration with the more structured design of the classic Zelda formula and still make it work. That is to say, you can absolutely have the freedom to go where you want when you want to, but you have to earn it. Either you can follow the general path and context clues that the developers leave you and have a guided path through the game, or you can get creative and experimental and forge your own path through the world. It'll be harder but arguably more rewarding to do it the latter way. In that regard, it's also perfectly fine to follow the set guidelines for your first run through the game to learn it's general layout and mechanics, which makes a replay all the more rewarding. Metroid: Zero Mission does this brilliantly, IMO, and I believe that the same thing could be applied to the Zelda formula.

Avaitor

I went from not using my Switch as much to beating two of the games I've had on rotation for a while, Superhot and Katamari Damacy. The former was pretty fun, but I could get pretty frustrated with it, because you need to be at the exact right angle to get the right hit in without getting hit yourself. And one thing that bugs me is that while it takes a couple of punches to kill your enemies, all it takes is one for you to die. That's pretty cheap imo, but I still did end up enjoying the game.

And I'm glad that I finally got around to Katamari- it's so much fun! The gameplay is pretty one-note, yes, but it's balanced by an incredible soundtrack and a strong sense of humor, so it still remains worth it. It's also the perfect length, IMO. Not too long and overwhelming, but it's not so short that you'd feel ripped off, especially because it's meant to be sold at a discount. I don't know if I need to play the sequels, because it seems like the novelty ran off the longer the franchise went along, but I'm glad that I got to experience the original.

Now that I'm done with those, I've been going back to Animal Crossing, which is pretty relaxing after a long day of work, and Hades, which I love, even if I suck at it. And I think I'm in the last third of Xenoblade, but I haven't been playing that as much lately. I might fix that later, who knows. I've also been trying the original Castlevania, but I somehow suck even more at that. Still, though, it's pretty fun when it isn't handing my ass to me, easily among the NES games that hold up better.

I'm trying to decide what to play next. I'm deciding between adding Ori and the Blind Forest and Celeste next to my rotation, but I've also thought about finally trying out Assassin's Creed: Black Sails. I've heard that it's one of the best of the franchise, and good for a beginner, which is why it's on my radar. But also, my collection of unplayed games is honestly pretty obscene. :sweat:
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Mustang

Since my last post in this thread I've actually beat Trails 3 and Trails 4. Sort of replaying Trails 4 to see how broken I can get some of these characters. I've also been playing Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (against my better judgment). I haven't reached rage inducing levels yet but my blood is pumping a little bit because of these controls lol. Only reason I'm playing is because I want to see what's been added and how it's been implemented.

Getting that itch to get back into fighting games. Mainly Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Dragon Ball Fighterz. I've been watching Marlinpie's channel as he streams UMvC3 and people have been coming with some interesting teams. As for Fighterz, considering how much has changed I'm probably going to have 2 main teams I toy around with (SSB Gogeta will probably be my main). Also looking to get back into 3rd Strike as well.

That being said, there's been a lot of talk revolving around Melty Blood as of late and I may check it out but I may skip it. I'm not one of those people that'll just play any fighting game just because. I'm not really fond of the dull look that I'm seeing from the game but gameplay looks interesting. I'm also not nor have I ever been into all this "WAIFU" fighter either. All the characters I choose is for one reason and that reason is I found myself in them in some form of fashion.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

I really need to stop buying games if I don't plan to play them immediately. I just bought Tales of Arise. I've been anticipating this game, which feels like forever, but I ended up getting it won't be getting played anytime soon since the urge to jump back into fighting games.

Speaking of, the main focus will probably be on Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Dragon Ball Fighterz. With UMvC3, I plan to have 2 teams. The Vergil team is for when I'm trying to outright own people and the Dante team is for when I want to have fun and style. That being said my Vergil team might be either Nova/Spencer, Vergil, Hawkeye/Taskmaster. The Dante team will probably be something like Dormmamu, Dante, Doctor Strange, I haven't figured that one out yet.

DBFz on the other hand, man, Wawa is crazy good. He might not be the best player in the world but he's the only one actually going for style points. Right now I like his team of SSB Gogeta, A.Gohan, UI Goku and that will be the team I use as well. I thought about using Hit, UI Goku/SS4 Gogeta and A.Gohan. Still might use as a secondary team.

I'll probably dabble with USF4, GGS (Giovanna) and some 3rd strike as well.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Avaitor

Not sure who cares, but here's my current collection of Switch games.

Physical Copies:
-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
-Doom (2016)
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
-Super Mario Odyssey
-The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
-Animal Crossing New Horizons
-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
-The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
-The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
-Super Mario Maker 2
-Collection of Mana
-Bayonetta 2 +OG Bayonetta
-Sonic Mania Plus
-Astral Chain
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-The Wonderful 101
-Paper Mario: The Origami King
-Mega Man 11
-Bioshock: The Collection

All these, plus I have a preorder of Metroid Dread down, and I'm hunting Walmart regularly for the new WarioWare

Downloads:
-Darkest Dungeon
-Doom
-Doom II
-Doom 3
-Devil May Cry
-Dragon Ball Fighterz
-Mega Man X Legacy Collection
-Bastion
-Mega Man Legacy Collection
-Outlast
-Furi
-Friday the 13th: The Game Ultimate Slasher Edition
-Sundered: Eldritch Edition
-Contra Anniversary Edition
-Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
-Assassins Creed: The Rebel Collection
-Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
-Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
-Enter the Gungeon
-Doom Eternal
-Castlevania Anniversary Collection
-Superhot
-Katamari Damacy ReRoll
-Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
-Hades
-Celeste
-Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game

...Just don't ask me how many I've played. :sweat:

Edit: After posting this, I downloaded Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and Trials Rising.

Edit #2: And I just went to a different Walmart, and found WarioWare! No more spending until November.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's a good list of games. To be honest, I also own a lot of games for the switch (mostly digital), as to me it's the ultimate amalgamation for retro/classic games as well as retro-style games, which is mostly what I tend to play on the console. I have even double-dipped with games that I already own elsewhere just to have a portable version to play. Here is what I own:

Bayonetta 1 & 2
Pokemon Sword
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
DOOM 1, 2, 3, & 64
Celeste
Final Fantasy VII
Mega Man Legacy Collection Volumes 1 & 2
Mega Man X Legacy Collection Volumes 1 & 2
Namco Museum
Hades
The Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
No More Heroes
Guilty Gear
Capcom Beat-em-up Bundle
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Collection of Mana
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Ninja Gaiden Master Collection
Sonic Mania Plus
Streets of Rage 4
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game
Castlevania Anniversary Collection
Contra Anniversary Collection
Axiom Verge
Steel Assault

And I too have Metroid Dread pre-ordered.

Also definitely keeping an eye out for the new Kirby game.

Avaitor

That's another good list of games! :thumbup:

I try to be as good as I can about getting titles, and mostly just get downloads when there's a sale. Similarly, a lot of the physical copies were also bought when there was a sale, or were birthday/Christmas gifts. My Metroid preorder is actually a birthday gift, as well.

I am thinking of getting Super Mario 3D All-Stars the next time I see it, though. I do already own SM 64, and will technically own it again when the N64 titles come to the Switch, but I'm not sure if I still own the first Galaxy. And while I don't love Sunshine, it'd be nice to own as well. Plus, I just like the idea of telling Nintendo to shove their limited supply.

New blog!

Mustang

Dragon Ball Fighterz
Kinda going through a character crisis at the moment. The difference between this and UMvC3 is that there are so many characters in this game I want to toy around with while in UMvC3 there are about 6 characters I have set in stone that I'm going to play. Here, Beerus has now become a character I want to learn (like A.Gohan, he has swag combos) but the problem is, is that there are too many characters I want to try with him and it's leaving me at square 1. I was going to use him and 17 together, but I think I want 17 on a different team altogether. I got some ideas that I've been thinking about like Piccolo but then I get in my own head and wonder do I really want Piccolo and Beerus on the same team? It may be something to try. We'll see.

As far as single player games go. Nothing.

I have graduated (or flunked, maybe?) from watching Chilledchaos play Among Us to watching him play Project Winter and JackBox Party. I think out of everyone I've ever watch stream games I can get behind Chilled and his group more. Anyway, I'm very interested in Project Winter along with some of these other quirky games they've been playing but I'm still searching for a good computer and whatnot.

Edit:

Decided to go with SSJ4 Gogeta and Beerus. Now to find an anchor. Not exactly sure whose a good anchor for this team yet. I'm trying not to pick a top tier anchor just because they are the "best anchor in the game". I'm trying to find one that I like and one that fits well with the other 2 characters. I may try Hit first, just to see if he actually has synergy with the team.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol