What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 09, 2014, 03:35:35 PM
Shit! And I forgot about those as well. At this rate I'll never get around to any of the classics from the PS1 era. :P

But, really, it's very telling about modern gaming that I'm starting to look so much into retro stuff. I'm really trying to appreciate modern games, guys, I swear! It's just that....something about the vast majority of them is just not doing it for me. That said, there are a lot of games from this gen that I missed out on that I still need to try, including a bunch of Wii exclusive titles. I also need to try other games that I've wanted to give a shot for a long time but still haven't gotten around to, like Max Payne 3 and Bulletstorm, among other things.
I think the last gen had a lot of classics... F.E.A.R., Nier, anything by Platinum, the Souls games, Ratchet & Clank Future, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, No More Heroes 1&2, the Yakuza games, Borderlands 1&2, Fallout: New Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dishonored, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and quite a few others... but yeah, it wasn't really one of the best. If you like old games, I do recommend checking out GOG sometime. Those retro PC games don't need a particularly fancy computer to run, don't cost very much (especially during sales), and are generally excellent.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 09, 2014, 03:41:44 PM
I don't think are bad, though. Well, the writing in the cutscenes from the last 10 minutes of the game do show their age a bit. But for the rest of the game, they are fine. They aren't even half as bad as they are in MGS2. It's just... in particular, the last 40 minutes of cutscenes from MGS2 is just shockingly bad.
Yeah, aside from the final area, the cutscenes are very good, especially for when MGS was made.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 09, 2014, 03:44:40 PM

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 09, 2014, 03:41:44 PM
I don't think are bad, though. Well, the writing in the cutscenes from the last 10 minutes of the game do show their age a bit. But for the rest of the game, they are fine. They aren't even half as bad as they are in MGS2. It's just... in particular, the last 40 minutes of cutscenes from MGS2 is just shockingly bad.
Yeah, aside from the final area, the cutscenes are very good, especially for when MGS was made.

"When MGS was made"? You think the dialogue from this game is superior to great lines like "Radio... What's going on with that radio?" and "You were almost a Jill sandwhich!"?

Rynnec

Madworld's been an awesome game so far (Mad Castle levels aside) and easily satisfies my chainsaw fetish. I like how arcade-y the game is too.

talonmalon333

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2014/03/opinion-10-amazing-video-games-from-the-90s-that-have-not-aged-well/

Thoughts on these choices? Also...

QuoteDonkey Kong 64 was never a good game. But there was a time when you were too young to know the difference

Man, that is unbelievably accurate to my childhood with this game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That comment on dying on the same level 500 times is a load of bull-shit. I replayed Sonic Adventure last year and I only ever died a handful of times, most of which were my own fault. Honestly, most of the hate for that game is unfounded compared to many of the other 3D Sonic games, and once again, that's not just nostalgia talking as I did replay the game recently and while it doesn't hold up gracefully, it's still a fun game and is far from the broken mess that its painted out to be, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic Adventure is the easiest 3D Sonic game by far. I can see getting lost sometimes in the hubs because of vague hints, but the levels themselves are well designed and rather straightforward.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I think I agree with all of them except for Crazy Taxi, that one is still fun.  Tony Hawk's and Crash Bandicoot's sequels were so much better than the first games, some of them I never cared for like DK64 and Final Fantasy, and Red and Blue are so hard to play anymore, as are Gold and Silver.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And Pokemon Red & Blue are at #1 on the list, really? There are tons of games that have aged worse than those, and the fact that the writer thinks that every new generation of Pokemon games is better than the last is absurd. Gold and Silver are infinitely better than Ruby and Sapphire, which IMO were really lazy games in terms of design, and the quests and battles just felt so boring to me.

talonmalon333

I do agree with DK64 and Crash Bandicoot being on the list. I honestly don't think they were ever that good... Then again, wouldn't that fact disqualify them from the list?

Also, I feel I am in the shrinking group that thinks GoldenEye has stood the test of time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Comeau on March 12, 2014, 06:55:39 PMRed and Blue are so hard to play anymore, as are Gold and Silver.

Oddly enough, those are some of the only JRPGs that I can tolerate. Obviously I'm not a fan of the genre, though, so that's probably no surprise.

Commode

I just prefer the remakes to the originals.  Same with Gold and Silver.

Running Shoes was one of the best additions to the series.

talonmalon333

I love Red and Blue, as well as Gold and Silver. Ruby and Sapphire is where my interest faded, so I guess that speaks what I think of their "Each generation is better than the last" claim.

I'm sure the remakes of the first two generations are great. But since I never owned them, the originals are all I've got and can refer to.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, yeah, the remakes are better, but I still think that the originals are fun games minus the grinding. At the very least I could easily think of more than 10 games that have aged worse than those ones (and that were considered to be good for their time).

Spark Of Spirit

GoldenEye's campaign design holds up well. Mutiplayer? Eh, without bots it loses a lot that Perfect Dark has.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 12, 2014, 06:59:19 PM
Quote from: Comeau on March 12, 2014, 06:55:39 PMRed and Blue are so hard to play anymore, as are Gold and Silver.

Oddly enough, those are some of the only JRPGs that I can tolerate. Obviously I'm not a fan of the genre, though, so that's probably no surprise.
If you get your hands on a DS or 3DS I recommend the Gold/Silver remakes. I usually have problems keeping up with Pokemon these days, but Gold/Silver holds well on a base level and the remakes really help them further.

Crash 1 is a massively unbalanced platformer. But it is not a bad game in any shape, in fact I would say it trounces all the post Crash 3-platformers with ease, but the difficulty is poorly handled.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 12, 2014, 07:03:34 PMAt the very least I could easily think of more than 10 games that have aged worse than those ones (and that were considered to be good for their time).
I don't disagree with you on this, it does seem they only put those there to generate interest and controversy.