What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Crash, to me, just feels like they took a 2D platformer and copy-and-pasted it into a 3D environment. I'd be more forgiving if it came out before Mario 64, but it didn't, so...

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 12, 2014, 07:04:17 PM
GoldenEye's campaign design holds up well. Mutiplayer? Eh, without bots it loses a lot that Perfect Dark has.

I can still play it with friends and have a great time... Though part of that is admittedly because we get a kick out of the way the character animations and models look (watching someone moving around and attacking while crouched is hilarious).

Spark Of Spirit

Crash 1 was being made at the same time as Mario 64 so it's strange to hold that against them. They made Crash 2 specifically as a response to Mario 64 and in the process made a much better game.

I would still take all three PS1 Crash games over Mario 64, as unpopular as that opinion is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Pokemon's just one of those things where the interface has gotten so much better with each generation that even Gen 4 feels a bit archaic at this point. I still love HeartGold/SoulSilver the most, though.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 12, 2014, 07:11:29 PM
Crash 1 was being made at the same time as Mario 64 so it's strange to hold that against them.

I didn't consider that. I take it back, then. But it's still a mediocre game outclassed by Mario 64. :blush:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for Goldeneye, I was never a huge fan of it, but I did appreciate how it incorporated various objectives into its gameplay rather than just trying to be yet another DOOM-clone (though, DOOM is a WAY better game than Goldeneye, IMO). That said, TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect did that gameplay style a lot better than Goldeneye (I can't comment on Perfect Dark since it's been far too long since I last played it).

As for me, one game that I used to love as a kid that just completely crushed my nostalgia on a replay is Spyro (the first game, I never actually played any of the sequels). I remember it being a huge open platformer with tons of fun exploration....and yes, it was a pretty big game for its time, but the actual gameplay feels ridiculously slow and tedious to me today, personally, and the levels look really bland in design now that I can see past the graphics (which for the time I thought were pretty good, obviously).

gunswordfist

I'll never not love Spyro. I don't care what you say. :thinkin:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Shame that 2 and 3 weren't on the same level as the first Spyro.

Foggle

Playing Dark Souls 2. While I enjoyed the first one, it didn't really click with me as well as it could have (though that might be due to the PC port being lousy). This sequel, on the other hand, is just exceptional. A couple of bosses have been frustrating for me, sure, but it's definitely one of the most rewarding games I've ever played. The level design is far and away some of this gen's best, with lots of excellent exploration and a great feeling of non-linear discovery. It actually reminds me of (a good) N64-era 3D platformer in that regard; it brings back amazing memories of playing the Banjo games as a kid.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 12, 2014, 06:44:44 PM
http://www.complex.com/video-games/2014/03/opinion-10-amazing-video-games-from-the-90s-that-have-not-aged-well/

Thoughts on these choices? Also...
So edgy. While none of those games have aged 100% gracefully, that list looks like it's trolling for hits more than anything. All of those titles are absolutely still playable by today's standards, they're just somewhat clunky now. You want an amazing game from the 90's that really hasn't aged well? I dare you to try playing the original System Shock. ;)

gunswordfist

Yeah, I tried to play System Shock a few months ago...I got like literally two steps before I gave up. Seriously...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 13, 2014, 01:37:59 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: Foggle on March 13, 2014, 11:29:25 AM
All of those titles are absolutely still playable by today's standards

Except DK64. :P
It's playable. It's just not very fun.

How many games have actually aged so badly that they are "unplayable"?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 01:53:51 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 13, 2014, 01:37:59 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: Foggle on March 13, 2014, 11:29:25 AM
All of those titles are absolutely still playable by today's standards

Except DK64. :P
It's playable. It's just not very fun.

How many games have actually aged so badly that they are "unplayable"?
According to modern gamers, anything older than an Xbox 360.

I honestly don't find many games "unplayable", just usually too dated to fully get all intended enjoyment out of. That's why I wish all N64 games could get remakes to lose the blur, get a sturdy framerate, and drop the fog.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 13, 2014, 01:58:46 PMAccording to modern gamers, anything older than an Xbox 360.

I honestly don't find many games "unplayable", just usually too dated to fully get all intended enjoyment out of. That's why I wish all N64 games could get remakes to lose the blur, get a sturdy framerate, and drop the fog.

To me, there are very few games that are truly hurt by being "dated", unless the gameplay has actually been ravaged over time. To be, age just makes the games a bit harder to get into. Not necessarily worse.

Also, I don't see DK64 getting remade, considering all the Rare stuff in it. That game will probably just fade away.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 13, 2014, 01:11:10 PM
Yeah, I tried to play System Shock a few months ago...I got like literally two steps before I gave up. Seriously...
I think I made it into the second room and killed an enemy before I gave up. Journalists should be required to play that game for at least an hour before being able to write articles about games being "dated" or "unplayable."

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 13, 2014, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 02:10:19 PM
To me, there are very few games that are truly hurt by being "dated", unless the gameplay has actually been ravaged over time. To be, age just makes the games a bit harder to get into. Not necessarily worse.
These. Some of the best games of all time are horribly clunky by today's standards. It's not exactly difficult to have fun with them despite their control issues and engine limitations.