What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 13, 2014, 02:46:29 PMSome of the best games of all time are horribly clunky by today's standards. It's not exactly difficult to have fun with them despite their control issues and engine limitations.

Super Mario 64 is undeniably dated. Doesn't stop it from being fun, still.

In other news, I hear Nintendo is already thinking about their next console. Is this true? Does anyone know anything about it?

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 13, 2014, 03:02:14 PM
How's it dated?

Mario 64? The controls are slippery, early 3D models, certain parts of the game are an awkward blend of 3D and 2D, even some of the sound effects are dated.

Then there's Bowser's character design. Even when I played the game as a kid, I knew that looked bad.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hate it when people claim that games like DMC1 (and even 3 & 4 on occasion), Ninja Gaiden Black, and Resident Evil 4 are outdated. With the first 2 it m as only relates to the camera and difficulty. For the former, they aren't perfect, but are also hardly that bad. I rarely get screwed by the camera in either game. Secondly the difficulty is fair, so people just complain because the game doesn't automatically raise their self-esteem.

One of the worst examples involves the DMC series. Adam Sessler did a sort of topic discussion on it after the release of the new game last year. The 2 guys he invited to talk about it were both non-fans of the series. One even admitted that he only went back to the first game, played a few levels, and then decided that the whole series was dated. He didn't even touch the sequels. Adam Sessler said he was surprised at the back-lash toward the reboot since he didn't even know that the series was popular (and he's supposed to be a game journalist, of all things), and claimed that the series never had a good iteration. The whole video was about half an hour of these 3 guys claiming that the fans were immature (as a broad generalization), trashing the older games giving criticisms that weren't even fair (they could have brought on at least onecreasonable fan to defend the classic series), and some that were flat-out untrue and made it clear that they barely touched any of the games. Adam Sessler even claimed that the combat in the reboot was better because it was easier to attain a high style rank, and he wasnt good enough to do those on the older games....no, serously, that was his reasoning. Honestly, I know people on this board seem to respect him, but I just don't get it. Never did. He always came off as just as obnoxious and self-indulgent as most other game journalists, to me.

And with RE4, the main complaint is not being able to move and shoot at the same time. This so misses the point of this game that it just baffles me. The game is first of all designed around that mechanic, so its still perfectly playable. Secondly, its meant to cause tension. I guess modern gamers dont like feeling anything from their games other than instant gratification.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
How's it dated?

Mario 64? The controls are slippery, early 3D models, certain parts of the game are an awkward blend of 3D and 2D, even some of the sound effects are dated.

Then there's Bowser's character design. Even when I played the game as a kid, I knew that looked bad.
Graphics? Really? I thought AR was smarter than that...

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 13, 2014, 03:57:11 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
How's it dated?

Graphics? Really? I thought AR was smarter than that...

Not sure what you're getting at.

gunswordfist

Damn, Sessler really said that? :unimpressed:

Everyone knows that I embraced RE finally getting the ability to run 'n gun but to complain about the games that were made around that just doesn't make sense.

talon, graphics rarely effect gameplay for me. I think the only case in which they would is if I was playing a 3D fighter with bad graphics in a series that's usually 2D like Street Fighter or KOF.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 13, 2014, 04:03:31 PM
talon, graphics rarely effect gameplay for me. I think the only case in which they would is if I was playing a 3D fighter with bad graphics in a series that's usually 2D like Street Fighter or KOF.

Regardless, the graphics are dated, making it one of the dated aspects of SM64. That's what I was referring to.

Also, to bump this question...

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 13, 2014, 02:59:26 PM

I hear Nintendo is already thinking about their next console. Is this true? Does anyone know anything about it?

gunswordfist

I wonder how one analog stick 3D games would hold up for me now. I did play Ocarina Of Time for the very first time and Super Mario 64 about 2 years ago so I think I can stomach them. There's a bunch of Dreamcast and N64 games I want to try/play again.

Spark Of Spirit

All companies are thinking of their next consoles. Seven years is not a lot of time to plan out how to design a console, especially with things getting more and more complicated.

My problem with Mario 64 is that a lot of the level design just isn't very good to me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Kiddington

I'd put Sonic Adventure 2 on this list before 1. I still enjoy the original wayyyyy more than the sequel.

Also, it kills me to see Pokemon at #1. Call me an old frog or what you will, but sometimes the bells and whistles of this series are a bit much anymore. I kinda miss the days before EV's and Natures and all that noise; it was a hell of a lot easier raising a strong team without having to worry about it's nature dropping all of it's key stats like a led balloon. But whatever, I'm partial to retro gaming anyway so sue me.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on March 14, 2014, 01:05:37 AM
I'd put Sonic Adventure 2 on this list before 1. I still enjoy the original wayyyyy more than the sequel.

Also, it kills me to see Pokemon at #1. Call me an old frog or what you will, but sometimes the bells and whistles of this series are a bit much anymore. I kinda miss the days before EV's and Natures and all that noise; it was a hell of a lot easier raising a strong team without having to worry about it's nature dropping all of it's key stats like a led balloon. But whatever, I'm partial to retro gaming anyway so sue me.
They really did that? :srs:

Kiddington

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 14, 2014, 01:26:08 AM
Quote from: Kiddington on March 14, 2014, 01:05:37 AM

They really did that? :srs:

http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml

All but 5 natures raise one stat, but lower another. It's great if you have a Pokemon that doesn't need the lowered stat, but more often than not it's just a pain in the ass.

For example, an Adamant nature (raises Attack, lowers Sp. Attack) is great on Donphan; it already has a high Attack stat, actually uses that high Attack with physical moves, and Sp. Attack is the stat that's lowered, which it doesn't use at all. A Modest nature, on the other hand, would be terrible on the same Pokemon; it lowers Attack and raises Sp. Attack, which the exact opposite of what Donphan would utilize.

I'm just not a patient man, and level grinding already takes up enough of my time as far as I'm concerned. Catching 50 different Donphan's and sorting through their natures to see which one fits it best just isn't appealing to me, nor is spending hours trying to breed one up (egg hatching already takes long enough as it is). This is why I generally prefer the older system, but whatever.

Good lord, I am such a nerd.  >_<

gunswordfist