What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 16, 2014, 12:56:21 AM
I got lost in the sewer in COTM then realized I wasn't supposed to be there yet. No wonder I was getting demolished.

This game is a lot of fun. It's a real shame Igarashi no longer works at Konami. But then, nobody from the golden years works there anymore.

EDIT: Kojima aside, because I know someone is going to bring him up.

Well that explains why we haven't got a game from the old timeline in years.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on October 16, 2014, 01:39:03 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 16, 2014, 12:56:21 AM
I got lost in the sewer in COTM then realized I wasn't supposed to be there yet. No wonder I was getting demolished.

This game is a lot of fun. It's a real shame Igarashi no longer works at Konami. But then, nobody from the golden years works there anymore.

EDIT: Kojima aside, because I know someone is going to bring him up.

Well that explains why we haven't got a game from the old timeline in years.
He split last year to go indie like Inafune did. So we might get Castlevania inspired games, but Castlevania seems to be dead at Konami. Nobody's heard word one since the LoS games fell flat on their face. Just another Konami series buried with Contra, Silent Hill, and Goemon.

On the plus side, the portable game brought Simon back to the forefront, so he's still recognized as the face of the series. *Hint hint Sakurai*

Also, since they seem to be dumping the games on the VC, it's a lot easier for me to catch up with the games I missed.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Damn, I assumed he left in the 90s or something. lol Shows how much I pay attention to anything.

Also, it sounds like you are farther on COTM than I am. Didn't even know the game had a sewers.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I made it to the Observatory and this track started. Never gets old hearing that one.

I think I might be near the end. I'm level 40 and there aren't too many places left to go on the map.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Goddamn chapter 10 of The Evil Within is absolutely amazing but also insanely difficult. I can see why they won't let you play on Hard mode from the get-go; Normal is really kicking my ass now.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 17, 2014, 01:28:40 AM
Goddamn chapter 10 of The Evil Within is absolutely amazing but also insanely difficult. I can see why they won't let you play on Hard mode from the get-go; Normal is really kicking my ass now.
Some of the comments of this game contrasted with your impressions make me think someone isn't quite right.

I wonder whose opinion I trust more?

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 17, 2014, 02:29:35 AM
Some of the comments of this game contrasted with your impressions make me think someone isn't quite right.
Who's saying what now?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of The Evil Within, TS17 has just started uploading his AKUMU difficulty walkthrough, which so far is also a NO UPGRADE run (though he claims that he may change that since it's insanely hard even by his standards). To put things into perspective, he completed a NO DAMAGE run of Resident Evil 4 on Professional difficulty, and according to him, AKUMU difficulty is even harder than that. That just blows my mind. :o

Also, he confirmed that there are actually no crimson heads in the game, so don't waste your matches on dead enemies, because they aren't getting back up (this doesn't count for the enemies that are just playing dead, of course). That's something that I'll need to keep in mind when I finally get around to playing the game.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 12:51:48 PM
Also, he confirmed that there are actually no crimson heads in the game, so don't waste your matches on dead enemies, because they aren't getting back up (this doesn't count for the enemies that are just playing dead, of course). That's something that I'll need to keep in mind when I finally get around to playing the game.
Yeah, that's probably right. The game just features a similar concept to crimson heads, not crimson heads themselves.

Anyway, the only time you don't want to burn an enemy's body is if you blow up their head or stealth kill them. They will always get back up within 10-60 seconds otherwise.

Honestly, I can't even imagine playing this game on Akumu difficulty after reading what it entails. I don't even think I could handle Nightmare, judging from how hard Survival is getting. Chapter 10 is brutal.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, another thing that he mentioned was in regard to stealth. He said that on Survivor difficulty, it's actually quite easy to stealth kill most normal enemies once you understand how it works and how to predict their behaviors. However, on AKUMU difficulty, their awareness dramatically shoots up, and it's almost impossible to sneak up in them without them noticing you. You either have to try and outrun them or avoid them completely by finding your way around without even getting close to them. You CAN fight enemies, of course, but it's not advised unless you absolutely have to.

Also, here is just how ridiculous AKUMU difficulty is: http://youtu.be/QGb4K8m3PD0

You can get killed....by SPARKS! :D

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 02:26:25 PM
He said that on Survivor difficulty, it's actually quite easy to stealth kill most normal enemies once you understand how it works and how to predict their behaviors.
I understand that this guy is probably much better at the game than me, but this is just plain not true in my experience. Stealth is basically nonexistent after chapter 3 outside of a few specific points, and frankly, I don't see how it can even be possible for much of the game. For the most part, enemies will immediately notice you just like in RE4. However, you can get "stealth" kills by staggering enemies with bottles, which is invaluable and even necessary once you hit chapter 10.

QuoteAlso, here is just how ridiculous AKUMU difficulty is: http://youtu.be/QGb4K8m3PD0

You can get killed....by SPARKS! :D
:whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 17, 2014, 02:48:27 PM
I understand that this guy is probably much better at the game than me, but this is just plain not true in my experience. Stealth is basically nonexistent after chapter 3 outside of a few specific points, and frankly, I don't see how it can even be possible for much of the game. For the most part, enemies will immediately notice you just like in RE4. However, you can get "stealth" kills by staggering enemies with bottles, which is invaluable and even necessary once you hit chapter 10.

From what I've read and heard people say, it's completely possible for all normal enemies to stealth kill all of them on Survivor difficulty. I've avoided watching too many videos because I don't want to spoil the game for myself, but I did watch some videos from TS17 and TGD, and while  tS17 hasn't uploaded past chapter 2 yet, TGD used stealth kills a lot on chapter 3 (I though he was only playing on survivor difficulty). Basically you have to understand how the enemy AI behaves. On chapter 2, I saw TS17 use a strategy of running away from the enemies until they stopped chasing him, and then ran back up and stealth killed them from behind. He cleared out an entire room using mostly just this and the bottle throwing strategy. In fact, here's the video: http://youtu.be/qRWuSxjjY-4

It's worth mentioning, though, that he said there was a learning curve to stealth killing enemies on this game. He even said it took him a few hours to understand how to do it properly, and it's far from fool proof as he can still get caught on numerous occasions because of their increased detection on AKUMU difficulty.

Foggle

I'm not talking about chapters 1-3. Chapters 1-3 are almost entirely stealth-focused and practically a different game from what comes after them. I'm saying that stealth is nearly impossible after chapter 3 except for certain situations.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I wouldn't know since I specifically won't watch any videos after chapter 3 so as not to spoil the whole game for myself, but TS17 claimed that on Survivor difficulty you can stealth kill a bunch of enemies without much trouble once you understand how to do it. He's never been wrong about any gameplay tips as far as I know, so maybe there is a way to do it that's just not easy to figure out on a first playthrough. Keep in mind, this is the guy who taught me that it's possible to kill an El Gigante in RE4 with just 2 grenades (on Professional difficulty, no less), which utterly blew my mind, so if I've learned anything from him, it's that very little is impossible when it comes to video games, if you understand how the mechanics work.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 03:48:15 PM
it's possible to kill an El Gigante in RE4 with just 2 grenades
:zonk:

I'm not saying it's *impossible* to stealth kill a lot of normal enemies in the game, but there are quite a few sections where stealth is completely unfeasible, and I don't really think it would be much fun, anyway.