What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Watching some videos of Sunset Overdrive and wow this game just looks amazing. It's like if you made Saints Row more colorful and turned it into a platformer. Probably the most appealing current gen console exclusive I've seen aside from Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Hopefully I can find some way to play it, but none of my friends have an Xbone and I definitely can't afford one, so it may have to wait a few years.

Speedy

Just finished Super Mario 64 DS with all 150 stars.  Whew.

Starting on Yoshi's New Island.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sunset Overdrive looks like JSRF with TPS mechanics integrated in with the platforming. That is of course a truly awesome combination, and it's one of the few games that I really want which is exclusive to the XBOXONE. To Microsoft's credit, they have at least 2 more games coming out that I really want to play, which are Scalebound and Quantum Break, from 2 of my favorite video game developers of all time.

Foggle

Quantum Break definitely looks awesome as well, and I'm sure Scalebound will be amazing. This time next year, I think all three consoles are going to be mighty appealing for me...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's a good review of Korra where the reviewer actually seems to know what he's talking about: http://youtu.be/zAJoO9dmpP8

Foggle

I'm replaying Donkey Kong 64 (going for 100%... yes, really) for the first time in nearly a decade, and honestly, I'm digging it so far. It does feel like an inferior Banjo-Kazooie at times, the five character gimmick isn't particularly interesting, and some of the mini-games are just awful, but I'm still having a lot of fun 76 golden bananas in.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From what I've seen of the game, I never got why it was so hated even among Rare fans who liked the Banjo games. I mean, it can't be that it's a collect-a-thon that turns people off if they like those other games, so it would then have to be the gameplay, which from what I've seen of the game, looks perfectly fine outside of some frustrating mini-games.

Spark Of Spirit

You'd have to collect everything to understand why it's not so well liked. The game becomes the definition of tedious.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 10:53:37 PM
I'm replaying Donkey Kong 64 (going for 100%... yes, really) for the first time in nearly a decade, and honestly, I'm digging it so far. It does feel like an inferior Banjo-Kazooie at times, the five character gimmick isn't particularly interesting, and some of the mini-games are just awful, but I'm still having a lot of fun 76 golden bananas in.
:gonk:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 28, 2014, 11:17:27 PM
From what I've seen of the game, I never got why it was so hated even among Rare fans who liked the Banjo games. I mean, it can't be that it's a collect-a-thon that turns people off if they like those other games, so it would then have to be the gameplay, which from what I've seen of the game, looks perfectly fine outside of some frustrating mini-games.
It definitely feels less polished than Banjo (apparently it was rushed?), but it's still fun to play. I don't find the character swapping to be that tedious since I just play through the entire level as one Kong before switching to the next one. It does feel a bit "less" to me than BK and BT in terms of level design, variety, and humor, but it's still a pretty good game so far if you ignore Beaver Bother.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2014, 11:20:56 PM
You'd have to collect everything to understand why it's not so well liked. The game becomes the definition of tedious.
So far I haven't had any problems with tedium, but I'm only really playing DK64 while talking to my friends, so that might explain it.

gunswordfist

i can't get past the first team in kof '94. in other news, i started up golden sun: tla again. got somewhere in it this time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

My Pokemon adventures continue. I got a code in my email for the Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby demo today, so I'm messing around with that. I also decided to pre-order the bundle. I wouldn't mind Nintendo doing something like this for all future Pokemon releases, since I usually end up buying all the versions anyway.

Foggle

Looks like The Evil Within is selling surprisingly well! Around 350,000 units sold in the US, 500,000 units sold in the UK (thus becoming #1 in terms of sales), and 130,000 units sold in Japan. Include digital sales on Steam and that's over a million copies! Seems Tango has nothing to worry about, and we'll probably be seeing more great AAA games from them in the future. :)

gunswordfist

awesome! this is the kind of triple a game that should succeed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I was hoping the DKC and DKL games would be out on the VC by now, but since they're not I've been playing a bunch of Smash 3DS instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Speedy

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 30, 2014, 03:59:36 PM
I was hoping the DKC and DKL games would be out on the VC by now, but since they're not I've been playing a bunch of Smash 3DS instead.
I still don't understand what's so hard about NOA and NOE staying in sync when it comes to Wii U VC releases.  Why should one region get a game while the other has to wait for an unspecified amount of time?