What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

yesterday i tried beating quelagg on dark souls a few times and failed again. then i saw what appeared to be some object on the ground right before the white mist that leads to the quelagg fight. it was a summon sign. first time using one of those. i barely won that battle. it felt good to finally advance in the game. i rang the bell and went down. i got up to some lava tenticle thing and attacked. when it counter attacked, i immediately used a homeward bone so i wouldn't lose all the souls i acquired up to that point. lol and that's where i am at.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 31, 2014, 07:37:06 PM
yesterday i tried beating quelagg on dark souls a few times and failed again. then i saw what appeared to be some object on the ground right before the white mist that leads to the quelagg fight. it was a summon sign. first time using one of those. i barely won that battle. it felt good to finally advance in the game. i rang the bell and went down. i got up to some lava tenticle thing and attacked. when it counter attacked, i immediately used a homeward bone so i wouldn't lose all the souls i acquired up to that point. lol and that's where i am at.
Only read this if you want help finding out where to go next
Don't go to the lava area next! I believe you're supposed to do that part last. Now that you've rung both bells, I would suggest heading to Sen's Fortress. You can get there from a path across from the bonfire near the first blacksmith in the game (the one by the church). At the end of it should be a gate that opened after ringing the second bell.
[close]

gunswordfist

i stopped at don't go to the lava level. trust me, i was just checking the place out and planned on leaving even before i saw the monster in question. i've been wondering if that one gate with the 'mmm' guy next to it could ever be opened and now i am going to go see what's on the other side of it.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 31, 2014, 10:27:32 PM
i stopped at don't go to the lava level. trust me, i was just checking the place out and planned on leaving even before i saw the monster in question. i've been wondering if that one gate with the 'mmm' guy next to it could ever be opened and now i am going to go see what's on the other side of it.
:)

gunswordfist

yesterday i played dr. mario and tetris, super bomberman 2, shadow of the ninja, little samson, double dragon nes, metroid 1 and the legend of zelda. i haven't played the later 3 nes games in some years. especially double dragon, which i have played like once before. i have never beaten any of the games i listed.

gunswordfist

i also played more of circle of the moon on saturday. i feel stupid for not being able to figure out where to go without a guide, despite it being obvious. today i tried to get farther but got whooped again.  too many poison enemies. i also played more golden sun 2 and got a bit farther. lastly, i got to anor lando on dark souls. yes! now i got to figure out how to get farther by myself.

gunswordfist

i went all the way back to ceaseless discharge because i thought i missed something. i ended up stealing the gear there and then using a homeward bone to run. i went back to anor londo and finally found out where to go. that was borderline classic tomb raider secret area discovering to me. lol did they really expect people to find something so unclear.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 05, 2014, 02:29:02 PM
i went all the way back to ceaseless discharge because i thought i missed something. i ended up stealing the gear there and then using a homeward bone to run. i went back to anor londo and finally found out where to go. that was borderline classic tomb raider secret area discovering to me. lol did they really expect people to find something so unclear.
If you mean the entrance to the large building
Spoiler
up the wall and through the window,
[close]
yeah. I had a lot of trouble with that one, too. :D

gunswordfist

i actually found it surprisingly fast (the 2nd time i came down there, i believe, and after i dropped down and checked the perimeter of the building with the "elevator") i guess all my years of gaming paid off. i am glad i found it because since monday, gwydolin has been kicking my ass. i finally found another blacksmith, killed the firekeeper's murderer and got up to dragonslayer and whatshisname. hopefully after i finally beat them, i'll have enough to upgrade all the stuff i bought.

gunswordfist

i beat mother 3 and did the ending right so now i am watching the credits for the first time.

Foggle

I just beat The Last of Us. Overall, it was a pretty good game, with fun stealth/survival action gameplay reminiscent of The Evil Within (though I enjoyed the latter far more). The characters were fantastic and the ending was one of the best I've seen in the medium, but the story itself wasn't particularly special. It's a well-paced experience in spite of its relatively long run time, but the first three hours or so consist of an extremely slow "cinematic" slog that almost made me quit playing before it truly got going. Because of this, TLOU doesn't really contain much replay value for me, even though the Pittsburgh and Lakeside Resort levels are among the action-adventure genre's finest offerings.

So yeah, I liked it a lot. It wasn't the be-all end-all a lot of people have painted it as, but it's certainly worthy of the less over the top praise it's gotten, for sure.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It looks better than Uncharted, at least, since from what I've heard, there are more actual options to you during gameplay, and it's not as fixated on having you play in only the way the developers intended, rather than figuring situations out for yourself. If I had a PS3, I'd probably give it a try.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 09, 2014, 10:19:51 AM
It looks better than Uncharted, at least, since from what I've heard, there are more actual options to you during gameplay, and it's not as fixated on having you play in only the way the developers intended, rather than figuring situations out for yourself. If I had a PS3, I'd probably give it a try.
It basically plays the same as The Evil Within, only with better/more stealth and worse/less shooting. There are a lot of similarities between the two in terms of mechanics, actually, though the kinds of environments and enemy types/setups are completely different. I'd say there are deceptively few "automated" parts in TLOU - the first three hours are almost a glorified interactive cutscene outside of the scattered sneaky/shooty bits, but once you get past those early moments, it rarely ever delves into such territory again. Unfortunately, this makes the beginning portion of the game somewhat painful to endure even on your first playthrough, and has effectively killed any sense of replay value I could have gotten from TLOU. This is truly a shame, as certain levels later on are so good that I can almost see why it got 10/10 reviews across the board.

gunswordfist

i finally beat gwyndolin. i still had trouble dodging her soul arrows but for our last fight, she decided to use regular arrows. by that point, i could sometimes tell when she would fire arrows even before she rose. i just walked slightly out of the way of all or most of the arrow. then i did the jumping vertical slash and the 360 degree slash until i won. i also beat street fighter 3 with yun for the first time. it was also the first time i beat gill two rounds in a row. i believe i also halted his resurrection for the 2nd time ever (in round 2). me spamming dive kick really helped, lol, along with me mixing it up with combos. yun's ending was...uh uh...also, interesting contrast between his and ken's arcade mode. i thought urien was everyone's penultimate boss. i fought akuma (then just fought ryu instead since yun fighting akuma is suicide for me) and then hugo and yang before gill.

gunswordfist

and i beat dragon slayer and executioner earlier. it was easier after a couple of levels and using my brain.