What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

ok. that reminds me, when i saw the perfect dark commercial as i kid, i thought the game would be rated nc-17 or something. lol
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

My friend loaned me a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, but I'm not really digging it that much. I mean, the writing, music, and world design are all fantastic, but I just can't get into the gameplay at all. It reminds me of an MMO. :( And the side quests really suck.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 04, 2015, 08:30:49 PM
My friend loaned me a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, but I'm not really digging it that much. I mean, the writing, music, and world design are all fantastic, but I just can't get into the gameplay at all. It reminds me of an MMO. :( And the side quests really suck.
Yeah, it's not really my thing either. Have you tried The Last Story or Pandora's Tower? They seem more your style of game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I had pretty much the exact opposite problem with The Last Story. I liked the gameplay a lot, but the story, characters, and voice acting really turned me off. This came as a big surprise to me, as I was a huge fan of Lost Odyssey.

I have, however, loved what I've played of Pandora's Tower, and am thinking of picking up a copy for myself soon!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 04, 2015, 08:41:03 PMI had pretty much the exact opposite problem with The Last Story. I liked the gameplay a lot, but the story, characters, and voice acting really turned me off. This came as a big surprise to me, as I was a huge fan of Lost Odyssey.
That's the same problem I had with Blue Dragon. Classic JRPG in every way, but outside of the battle system, dungeons, and music (other than the horrendous boss theme, UGH) I just couldn't get into it.

Quote from: Foggle on February 04, 2015, 08:41:03 PMI have, however, loved what I've played of Pandora's Tower, and am thinking of picking up a copy for myself soon!
Be wary, this one might also be heading to the eshop soon like Return to Dreamland as Europe is getting it in the near future. Just an FYI.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Thanks! It's still pretty cheap, though, so I'll probably just go for the disc version.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2015, 09:04:21 PM
i want to play blue dragon.
You'd enjoy it.

Other than that Boss Battle theme. Sitting through a long boss battle while that is playing is migraine-inducing.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
lmao. the game has a world map, right?
If I remember correctly, it does. It's pretty old school JRPG.

Nel_Annette

I can understand Foggle. Xenoblade took me a while to get into. I hate MMOs and hate the gameplay for the most part, but the interface is made really conveniently, the areas become a joy to explore, and the plot gets really fucking good. And then really fucking mediocre at those last three areas, but the ride was fun. It's a bumpy start but the experience gets really rewarding. Sidequests are mostly filler but a good chunk of them expand the world in a really interesting way.

I quit The Last Story after about five hours though. That gameplay was not up my alley at all, and the characters and story were absolutely abysmal.

Foggle

Hmm... Maybe I'll push through it, then. I really like the characters so far and I can feel a spirit of adventure that's lacking in most similar games. If the story really becomes excellent even for others who feel the same way about the gameplay, I shall try to press onward! :e_hail:

talonmalon333

I was excited when I heard about the 3DS port of Xenoblade, until I heard it was exclusive to some "new" version of the 3DS. I hope they don't start leaving out the original 3DS on a daily basis now.

Nel_Annette

You don't lose anything when you die, so you can just keep leveling up until you beat the bosses. I'm watching the chuggaconroy LP on Xenoblade and he knows so much about the gameplay that I realized I made it through the entire game with barely any understanding of the battle system, just by leveling up doing sidequests and exploring. I just am not interested in that kind of battle interface. But the areas are an absolute blast to explore. When you get experience from simply exploring the map, and doing the sidequests that offer EXP rewards, it cuts down massively on grinding and is really nice.

Essentially, you can tank the entire game like I did if the story and areas interest you enough.

And failing that, you can watch an LP.  :P

Foggle

My attention span isn't good enough to watch LPs, unfortunately. Despite how much I love Nier, and how shit the original Drakengard's gameplay is, I was only truly able to enjoy the story by buying a copy and playing it myself.

I'll get back to Xenoblade tonight, I think!