What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The bow on the horse riders is the newbie strategy. There's a much easier way to fight that enemy type.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 07, 2015, 09:55:42 PM
The bow on the horse riders is the newbie strategy. There's a much easier way to fight that enemy type.
Why would you tell him that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 07, 2015, 09:55:42 PM
Ninja Dog difficulty!

talonmalon333

At this point, I don't even know if you guys are trolling me, or if you're being serious, or both. :sweat:

gunswordfist

You miss much of the best enemies on Ninja Dog mode.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Just played the Splatoon beta. The servers held really well!

As for the game, it's a pretty fun shooter with a fun paint mechanic. I only got to play two arenas but the were fairly inventive with a lot of neat nooks and crannies to hide in and scope out for extra paint points. On the negative side, when you get stuck with a team that either does nothing for the whole match or plays it like a death match it can become frustrating, but that's not much of a fault of the game. I can't wait to play the final version.

Oh, and the music is killer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Played the Splatoon Global Test Fire for the full hour as well. All in all, pretty enjoyable experience. Mostly used the roller and had a good laugh whenever an opposing player also used it and we killed each other. Also used the Splattergun and the Jr counterpart, skipped the sniper rifle since I suck at sniping in other FPS games, what makes you think I'll play it here? All in all, they were pretty balanced from what I saw.

The stages were fine and won most of my games. The games I lost, not sure if it was because everyone was treating it like Team Deathmatch or anything, but I still had fun.

Also, noticed a lot of Japanese players during my playthrough. I noticed no lag at all, have no idea if I played with someone from Europe or not, but if I did, the lag didn't exist at all. Pretty good if you ask me.

All in all, will try to play it again tomorrow at 3 PM.

Spark Of Spirit

There were quite a few Japanese players, I noticed. The impressive part was how strong the connection was. I had a shaky connection once and wasn't even kicked from the game.

In the full game, I'm definitely going to add more range to the Splattershot. It's a great weapon, but slightly short of what I want it to be.

Daxdiv

I will say that after playing the demo a 2nd time, I don't think the Roller is as powerful as people make it out to be. I used the Splattershot JR and ended up taking down people that wanted to roll me down. That and using the shield at the most appropriate times was such a laugh for me. Roller is good for map coverage, since I do feel more like completing the goal of covering the map with it rather than the splatter of the other guns. Did try the Charger, wasn't a huge fan of it.

I think I might end up maining the Splattershot Jr. or the Roller though.

Foggle

Finally continuing my Metal Gear series playthrough after MGS2 ruined games with extended cutscenes for me for a good four months.

MGS3 is still great, but I wish it wasn't so front-loaded with long-winded cutscenes. There's maybe 10 minutes of playtime in the first 2 hours of the game. Thankfully, once you meet Eva, it becomes an excellent gameplay-first experience, but that prologue is a bit torturous in terms of pacing. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a movie.

Still, this is easily the best entry in the series since MG2 for the MSX.

talonmalon333

The worst part is when the game shows the whole conversation between Lyndon B. Johnson and Nikita Khrushchev. They could have just had Major Zero tell Snake the needed info in 15 seconds. We didn't need to see the entire conversation.

But overall, it's still Kojima's masterpiece. And it blows MG2 clear out of the water. :blush:

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 16, 2015, 01:22:30 AM
The worst part is when the game shows the whole conversation between Lyndon B. Johnson and Nikita Khrushchev. They could have just had Major Zero tell Snake the needed info in 15 seconds. We didn't need to see the entire conversation.
Oh god. Yeah. Despite the questionable pacing and my desire to get on with the sneaking, the rest of the prologue stuff was either interesting, cool, or funny. But that bit was just wretched.

QuoteBut overall, it's still Kojima's masterpiece. And it blows MG2 clear out of the water. :blush:
I'm not sure I'd say it blows MG2 out of the water (that one's my second favorite in the series and probably my favorite 8-bit game ever), but it's certainly Kojima's best work to date. C'mon, September...

talonmalon333

Speaking of extended cutscenes, am I the only one who doesn't mind MGS4's cutscenes as much as MGS2's? At least 4 gives you a pause option during them, and shows some variety in the scenes. In 2 you're just stuck watching people talk to each other for huge stretches of time and have no ability to pause.

Foggle

MGS4's cutscenes are way too long and kind of stupid, but they're also a lot more interesting and generally better written/acted than 2's.