What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Sounds exactly like my experience with Hyperdimension Neptunia... Godspeed, man.

Nel_Annette

I couldn't even bring myself to put any Neptunia games in the cart when I was buying all these things. They all look like lolis in skimpy clothes. Did that game run like shit too? Does Compile Heart not understand how framerate works?

EDIT: I was going through my closet and found a magazine Nintendo Power sent me years ago containing nothing but posters. Like, 20 posters with a picture on each side. And they're still in really good condition! Here's a small taste.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on May 24, 2015, 02:29:57 PM
I couldn't even bring myself to put any Neptunia games in the cart when I was buying all these things. They all look like lolis in skimpy clothes. Did that game run like shit too? Does Compile Heart not understand how framerate works?
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Do not play it.

The one I tried was the PC port of a Vita game. The system requirements were ridiculous, the graphics looked like something from the PS2's later years, fullscreen mode didn't work, and it ran at about 24 FPS... with drops.

Nel_Annette

That's just depressing. What a miserable company. If anything, I should just buy the artbooks. Those are nice.

gunswordfist

I just played the Jack The Reaper demo. It's a linear platformer game starring a character with Kirby like power stealing. It's not perfect but it is pretty addictive. I think I got to its That One Level so I'm gave it a break for now.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So I took advantage of the deal, which means I have games left over that I already own. Does anyone want a copy of Guacamelee!, Mighty Switch Force!, OlliOlli Wii U, or Steamworld Dig 3DS or Wii U? I can testify that they're all great games well worthy of purchase.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Nel_Annette on May 24, 2015, 02:29:57 PM
EDIT: I was going through my closet and found a magazine Nintendo Power sent me years ago containing nothing but posters. Like, 20 posters with a picture on each side. And they're still in really good condition! Here's a small taste.

Hey, I still have that Minish Cap poster!  :awesome:

Foggle

Well, I beat Portable Ops. If the dictionary needed picture accompaniment for the word "mediocre," the box art for this game would do quite nicely. Ignoring the excellent music and heinous control scheme, there is nothing particularly good or bad about this game - it just exists. The level design is serviceable. The mechanics function properly. The story neither violates canon nor adds anything to it. The game isn't fun, but it's not painful to play either. It's whatever; neither worthwhile nor execrable.

I then decided to go back and replay/finish Ghost Babel (AKA Metal Gear Solid for Game Boy Color), the first handheld MGS game. It's a gem. It can be a little obtuse at times (much like MG 1 & 2), but the gameplay, level design, and story are all among the series' finest. I greatly prefer it to its PS1 counterpart. Highly recommended!

gunswordfist

A few days ago I unlocked the abilities to combine attack abilities in Jack the Reapers a la Gunstar Heroes except this game has more. I love it. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 02:16:27 PM

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge

Sounds like this list of favorites is way out of date. :D

Spark Of Spirit

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2015, 06:46:19 PM
Portable OPs over Solid and Ghost Babel. Yow.

Also MGS1 and MGS2 drop fifty light years, and maybe even 4 drops a bit (might be wrong there, though).

Foggle

In my defense, I hadn't played Portable Ops since 2008, and I loved it back then. I also thought MGS1 was the second best game in the series at that time, and while I liked Ghost Babel, I hadn't really grown to appreciate 2D Metal Gear yet. My opinions are reshaping constantly as I revisit the franchise.

Here's my current list, but I'm purposefully leaving off MGS4, Peace Walker, and Rising, because I haven't gotten to them yet on my full series run:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear 2
Ghost Babel
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Portable Ops
The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge

I did not finish either of the NES games, but I don't really think I need to to know that they're the worst in the series (and I actually got pretty close to beating the MG1 port). Also, I'm including the VR Missions expansion pack as part of MGS1 now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

When you get back to Rising make sure to play it on Revengeance mode. :sly: