What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

....I thought you might you bought an actually ocarina for a second.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 13, 2015, 05:23:15 PM
....I thought you might you bought an actually ocarina for a second.
Heh, but I always wanted one of those ocarinas they used to show in Nintendo Power. It never happened, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Maybe you'll get lucky the next time you go to the pawn shop. ;)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Splatoon is an okay game, but I feel like I'm never gonna have as much fun with it as seemingly everyone else. And yeah, I am playing it online. That might be part of the problem I'm having it with it though; I know 2p is its bread and butter, but the 1p mode is.....really kinda lame. And I just don't know if I care that much about online shooters at this point.

That's not really a knock against it mind you, I can see the quality is there. Just goes to show that Ninty definitely still has what it takes to churn out new quality IP's, and any preconceived notions of their demise are exactly that. /fanboy

Spark Of Spirit

I'm kind of surprised you don't like the single player mode. I thought it was great. Especially the boss fights.

But yeah, if you don't like online shooters, then this really isn't going to do much for you. It's inventive and different, but it still is a 4v4 game about blasting your opponents and taking territory.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Been spending some time here and there over the past few weeks going through NSMB2 for the star coins. I blazed through it when I bought it, but I'm enjoying it more in incredibly short bursts. Then, out of curiosity, I went back to the first game, and was surprised by how much I remembered the level designs. I even forgot that each world had a boss that wasn't a Koopaling. Still enjoyable.

And now I'm back into NSMBU, which I had apparently quit after World 2. Slowly making my way through. Game is much more challenging than the portable titles. I kind of want to go back to the Wii game too. Haven't touched that in six years at this point.

So I remember being really negative towards these games, but I'm much warmer towards them than I was, even if I think the aesthetic has worn thin. I still want new 2D Mario games, but they need to break the formula up a bit. New worlds (like one that's a modern city) and maybe give the Koopalings a rest for a game or too. I remember absolutely fanboying when they were brought back for NSMBWii, buuuut I'm over it at this point.

Spark Of Spirit

With Super Mario Maker I think it's a hint that the NSMB series is done. U didn't light the charts on fire (despite being the best game in the sub-series) and it pushed the formula as far as it can go. You should totally give Wii another chance, as it's an A+ platformer in every way.

As for NSMB2, it's all about coin rush. I got more enjoyment out of that than I thought I would, going well past the one million goal and even getting the DLC levels for it. The score attack formula for coin rush is addictive, but the base game isn't all too impressive. But I still liked it better than DS.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Maybe I worded it wrong, I loved NSMBWii. It was 2 and U that made me just kind of say "okay, now you're milking it".

Completely forgot about Mario Maker too. Yeah, I suppose unless they have some extremely new ideas, this Mario series is done with that coming out.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I was just assuming with Wii since a lot of people dump on that game for some reason. Return of the Koopalings aside, the level design is incredibly tight and inventive. Personally I think the console NSMB games are two of the best Mario games ever.

Also, the music gets kind of a bum rap. Sure "bahs" and whatnot: but listen to what it sounds like without them. That's some classy platformer music.

But I'm satisfied if they finally decide to move on from the NSMB style. They've gone as far as they can with it.

talonmalon333

Isn't Super Mario Maker basically a level maker and a full on 2D Mario platformer?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 29, 2015, 03:05:05 PM
Isn't Super Mario Maker basically a level maker and a full on 2D Mario platformer?
Yes, it includes 100 pre-made levels as well as online sharing and a full level editor.

It also has the NSMBU skin and physics which means any level you can make in the editor could be made in a future NSMB game thereby cutting down reasons for fans to purchase it. I think that's a hint that they won't be doing them anymore.

Kiddington

So is U the best in the series then? Didn't seem like people were all too crazy about it from what I remember. I have it sitting here (along with Super Luigi U), but I haven't even touched it myself yet. Just so busy anymore.

I played NSMB2 about a couple years ago; yeah coin rush is fun, but the rest of the game was pretty underwhelming. What surprised me the most was seeing them reuse so much of the music from Wii though; not that I'm complaining but it did come across as kinda lazy, especially given the 3-year gap between games.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

U > Wii >>> 2 >1

A lot of people didn't get U a shot because they were burnt out on the NSMB formula, but anyone who gave it a chance knows it's a great game. For instance, it has the best Ghost Houses in the entire series, but you never hear anyone mention them. The level design is so good and the Luigi U DLC adds a cherry on top of the deliciousness of the package.

It's one of the best 2D Mario games, IMO.

Nel_Annette

It's definitely a hell of a lot more challenging. I actually had to put the game down yesterday because I was getting so flustered trying to get Star Coins and some secret exits. Oddly enough, I played Luigi's DLC loooong before I ever got around to the main game. I think I'd like it more if it didn't have the time limit gimmick in pretty much every stage.

I'd say my ranking is the same as Foggle's right now.