Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I noticed that we didn't have a topic for the Metal Gear franchise, which I was kind of surprised about.

I've established how much I like this franchise. However, I have yet to talk about each game individually very much. I decided I would do that here and rank them from worst to best. But, there are just a few things to keep in mind. First of all, "worst" doesn't equate to "bad". Secondly, I'm only going to rank the main games in the series. Thirdly, of the main games, I can't yet rank Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes because I haven't played them yet.

#6 Metal Gear
The game that started so much. Metal Gear introduced stealth into a rather action based medium, featured a story that was deep for its time, and was even fairly meta with some of its secrets. But like many other first games, it was improved on quickly by its sequels. However, even more so than many others, I feel that the franchise has improved so much that the original Metal Gear simply doesn't hold up anymore. The game is chock full of vague elements from the old video game days, the enemy AI is incredibly primitive, the stealth elements amount to little more than hiding behind walls, and the combat portions aren't impressive. It was good for its time. That being said, it's not a bad game by our standards. I would still recommend it to a fan of the series, but it would be more for its historical and story significance than anything else.

#5 Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
The sequel to the original. This is like the Sonic 2 or Super Mario Bros. 3 of Metal Gear. It improves on its predecessor so much in every conceivable way. The level design is more creative, the enemies are actually somewhat competent, and the stealth gameplay is fleshed out. The story, while still not impressive nowadays, does have a few more memorable beats than the original. It's still not perfect, however. It still has some of those moments where you have no idea what you should be doing, like the first game, and the combat isn't very good. However, it's very good as a whole, one of the better 8-bit games in general, and is easily recommendable based on pure quality.

#4 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
I've talked about this game a bit in the past. Many would understandably call it a disappointment. However, on the whole, I do legitimately consider it to be a good game. People have issues with the story, and its certainly flawed. Plus, the Big Shell isn't a particularly great setting, and the characters generally aren't as good as the ones in MGS1. However, the gameplay itself is overwhelmingly better than its predecessor. First-person aiming, more ways to be stealthy, and enemies that are far smarter than ever. As for the story, yeah, it's flawed. However, the individual story themes are very interesting when looked at on their own, and I think that Kojima was actually pretty ahead of his time in certain ways. Look at the concepts he addressed, such as controlling digital information, and look at our post-9/11 world (an event that, by the way, took place right about when this game was released, and certainly after the story and themes were created). The problem is that the way the game presents all of its themes turns into information overload, and its handled through overly long cutscenes. But, credit where credit's due. And I like the way Kojima likes to play with the player's expectations, all the way from the game's story, to the way he kept Raiden so secret before the game's release. It was all his intent.

#3 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
The culmination of 20+ years of gamplay, and 20+ years of story... Many might argue that the game also amounts up to 20+ years of cutscene time. Either way, MGS4 deserves its recognition as a masterpiece. This was the game where the gameplay was perfected. And, while I do think the beginning is a little too action-based with not enough room for stealth, after that, the stealth quickly returns and matches or even surpassed MGS3's. And as for those cutscenes, let's be honest... yeah, they were long, but did they really feel that long? While the story, overall, was a bit confusing, I think it's hard not to get invested in these characters. Any player who cares about them had to have been won over by the final scene of the game (the true last scene). Konami did a great job at making a game with fantastic gameplay and a character arc that tied up every lose end and did it so well.

#2 Metal Gear Solid
While the MSX2 games brought stealth to gaming, those weren't especially well known games, mostly outside of Japan. Metal Gear Solid is the game that made it big. However, like I said above, credit should be given where its due, and it's worth noting that many elements that this game is celebrated for, actually came from Metal Gear 2. But that doesn't change its great execution of them. Many would argue that Metal Gear Solid is one of the greatest video games ever made, and I would agree with that claim. Shadow Moses is a great setting and one of the most memorable elements of the series lore. Plus, the character driven story is very well done in its simplicity.

#1 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 is the fan favorite, and rightfully so. The gameplay is fantastic, the level design is fantastic, the pacing is fantastic, and the story is fantastic. It not only deals with stealth, but also survival elements, and they are a lot of fun to play around with. I also like the jungle setting more than most of the locations from other games, with a level of freedom only matched by MGS4. The story is the best in the series, revolving around what I feel are the two best characters in the series (even better than Solid Snake), and without its cutscenes taking as much time as they do in MGS4. I also think this is the funniest game in the series by far. Then there are the boss fights, which are also the series best by far, the best of which being the final boss which is also one of my all time favorite video game boss fights in general. The ways you can fight these bosses, and the greater variety to the gameplay, also makes 3 the most replayable. There are probably other things I can talk about with MGS3, but I can't remember them right now. And whatever they are, they are probably at their best in this game, too.

Overall, Metal Gear is one of the most special video game franchises to me. It might be my 3rd favorite video game franchise, beaten only by Zelda and Mario, of course.

So there you go. Comment on my list, or give your feelings on the franchise. Feel free to talk about any game in the series, too, including spin-offs and games beyond the ones I listed here.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PMThe story, while still not impressive nowadays
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PMPeople have issues with the story, and its certainly flawed.
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PMAs for the story, yeah, it's flawed.
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PMWhile the story, overall, was a bit confusing
Are you implying Kojima-sensei isn't the greatest storyteller in Japan and possibly our generation? Those "flaws" you mention are not "flaws". It's called avant-garde storytelling. It's why Metal Gear has not had a movie offer since the original Metal Gear Solid. Because the common idiot doesn't understand the complexities of a vampire who can moonwalk on water desu.

...  :P

In all seriousness, I've always enjoyed the stealth-based action the series has offered and I've preferred the games when they keep their simple military sci-fi style and focus on gameplay. Overall, while I might find the series popularity deserved (to a point), I've only really liked one of the popular games and the ones nobody really remembers.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Weirdly, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is my second favorite game in the series as a whole, and I actually don't like the first Metal Gear Solid much at all anymore...

Speedy

I've said this before, but MGS2 is underrated.  It pulled some of the biggest twists in the series, thus shaking up the status quo, and the philosophical stuff in the climax really sucked me in when I first played it.  Like, I had never heard characters talk like this in a video game, discussing IDEAS.

I admit that I didn't like MGS3 upon first playthrough, but I had more of an appreciation for it when I played it on the PS3 MGS collection (better framerate and higher res graphics certainly helped-  the PS2 just didn't do this game justice).

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2015, 12:47:03 AMBecause the common idiot doesn't understand the complexities of a vampire who can moonwalk on water desu.

Oh yeah, Vamp... worst character in the seires.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2015, 12:47:03 AMI've only really liked one of the popular games and the ones nobody really remembers.

Have you played 3 yet?

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 08:57:00 AM
Weirdly, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is my second favorite game in the series as a whole, and I actually don't like the first Metal Gear Solid much at all anymore...

How come?

Quote from: Speedy on January 27, 2015, 09:18:15 AM
I've said this before, but MGS2 is underrated.  It pulled some of the biggest twists in the series, thus shaking up the status quo, and the philosophical stuff in the climax really sucked me in when I first played it.  Like, I had never heard characters talk like this in a video game, discussing IDEAS.

Yeah, like I said, I'm a fan of the ideas Kojima tried to express. The game makes some interesting points. I just think too much of it is told through drawn out expository cutscenes, and it kind of becomes hard to swallow.

Foggle

This post would probably get me ostracized from most forums, but...

While the shooting isn't very good in MG2, I honestly think it's just plain more fun than MGS1, and it has way more content. Considering that roughly 1/3 of the set-pieces in the latter are copied from the former, that's not a good thing at all. MGS1 also probably has the least gameplay in the series. I never noticed until recently just how much of - and I hate to say this - a movie it is; more so than any of the sequels, which are the only ones that get shit on for that. Skipping all the cutscenes - many of which are just as overlong and badly done as in the sequels - I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 3 hours in length.

Now, despite what it may sound like, I don't hate the first MGS. I just think it suffers from a lot of the same problems that (according to some, only) the sequels do; problems that become compounded by the lack of and rudimentary nature of the gameplay. It's still a pretty good game, but IMO it's not as fun as its immediate predecessor, and the writing has only grown worse to me as I've gotten older. It may have far less exposition than MGS2, but I'd take that one over the original any day, as I find the gameplay in it to be much more satisfying.

talonmalon333

I don't think the cutscenes in it are that long. The only long one I remember is when Liquid is explaining their originals at the end, which only amounted to 10-15 minutes tops. 10-15 minutes is average by the standards of MGS2, and of course less than average by 4. And while the gameplay in MGS2 is overwhelmingly better, I like Shadow Moses island more than the Big Shell. As for the writing, I think it mostly shows its age in the ending.

But I do think Liquid is a pretty weak villain, while Big Boss, Solidus, Ocelot, and The Boss are all excellent.

Foggle

It's not so much that the cutscenes are long by themselves (though they're still longer than in most non-RPGs), it's that the game tends to string 3 and 4 of them together with maybe 1 minute of walking in between. It does that A LOT. MGS2 and 4 are far worse in that regard, but they have more meat to them in terms of actual mechanics and playtime.

Shadow Moses IS an awesome location, though, and I love the boss fights.

talonmalon333

Shadow Moses/level design is one of the reasons I think the game holds up so well. The gameplay isn't anything amazing now that we have later sequels, but the level design, story, and boss fights elevate it to being a great game for me. It also has clever moments like Psycho Mantis reading your memory card, messing with your TV screen, and forcing you to switch controller sockets. And it's not like the gameplay is any worse than it was in MG2.

Foggle

I do think the writing is a bit soggy. Not the actual story, which is pretty damn good for the most part as far as games go, but the dialogue itself - though it does have plenty of great, iconic lines, and amazing voice acting for the time period.

The gameplay may not have necessarily been better in MG2, but I liked it a lot more. Mostly due to it feeling faster-paced and its camera angles giving you much better visibility.

talonmalon333

I didn't have a problem with the overheard camera until MGS3, when the jungle setting didn't lend itself to that viewpoint. So glad that Kojima incorporated a third-person camera into 3.

You guys should give your rankings!

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 27, 2015, 01:49:13 PM
I didn't have a problem with the overheard camera until MGS3, when the jungle setting didn't lend itself to that viewpoint. So glad that Kojima incorporated a third-person camera into 3.
I hear you there. It's not so much that the camera was a *problem*, I just preferred it in MG2, is all!

QuoteYou guys should give your rankings!
Sure. :D

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge

Definitely one of the greatest video game franchises of all time; I like them all a lot except for the bottom three. Never played Ground Zeroes, Acid, Portable Ops Plus, or the original version of MGS3.

Spark Of Spirit

Acid was pretty good for what it was. It was Acid 2 that I never got to try, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

thank you for ranking mgs4 so high!

my rankings of the 3 mgs games i have played:

3. mgs2

my first mgs game, second time i experienced the series with the first being mgs1's demo. which probably explains why i didn't mind raiden. i thought he was a decent character. as for the game itself, i thought it was good but it seemed to be missing something. i can't put my finger on what it was though. evenso, i still had more fun in this game than the others due to messing with the enemy guards. a squad being all serious during a clearing sequence only to be rendered screaming loudly due to a claymore
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 02:16:27 PMNever played... the original version of MGS3.

It's in Subsistence. Just press the right analog stick, and the camera shifts back to overhead view. :P

What exactly is the story behind the NES games?