Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I think Eggmanland would have been far more tolerable if they had divided that up into 3 or 4 separate levels. When you go in blind, it takes far too long.

And yeah, the Egg Dragoon, is definitely the best Werehog boss in the game. Shame the actual fight with Dark Gaia blows ass. Though I hear the Wii/PS2 version is actually superior in terms of the final battle.

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic Colors and Generations writer is working on a new Sonic game

Not like that's much of a surprise. I'm sure this game will be announced in the next few months.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

"Written" a "script". As amazing as those games were, the writing was just... good lord. Then again, Sonic has never had anything even approaching good dialogue.

Spark Of Spirit

Nope, they've never been well written. Which is why I enjoyed Colors story since it was just a Saturday Morning cartoon plot, which is more than enough story for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It just saddens me that the guys who wrote MadWorld's genius script somehow thought crap like "BBBE" was funny. Robotnik's in-level dialogue is hilarious, but you can't even hear it 90% of the time!

Spark Of Spirit

To be fair, it was their first Sonic script. Generations toned it down quite a bit (despite the lack of story), but I do like how Sonic and Tails had an actual friendship instead of just being in generic protagonist mode with standard dialogue. Though yeah, not all the jokes were winners.

But they do deserve points for making Robotnik threatening and funny again. He's been reigned in too much since SA1, so it was good to see him be himself again.

Nel_Annette

A few cringe-worthy lines and some 90s dialogue doesn't ruin it. The scripts were fine barring that. At the very least, Eggman's been pretty funny these past few games.

I think the writer's want to write it in a wittier way, it just seems like they're dumbing it down slightly for the kid demographic.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think kids are smarter than the writers give them credit for. Even my little sister commented on how lame some of the jokes in Colors were, such as the infamous BBBE, among other things, and she's only 8 years old.

Nel_Annette

Oh I agree with you, it just felt that way when I first heard the dialogue. I think it's leagues better than what we got from Adventure through Unleashed, though the better voices and voice direction may have helped with that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I really do feel that the voice acting has gotten a lot better for the Sonic series as of late. I actually like Sonic's current English VA, and genuinely hope that Sega sticks with him for future Sonic games that involve any sort of voice acting.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 21, 2013, 05:35:48 PM
A few cringe-worthy lines and some 90s dialogue doesn't ruin it. The scripts were fine barring that.
It's still bad writing. I personally don't care, since I tend to skip the cutscenes in Sonic games out of principle now, but I'd love to see an installment with dialogue that was actually good and witty. Robotnik's in-level speech in Colors was excellent, so a full game with cutscenes written like that would be awesome.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 21, 2013, 05:46:17 PM
Oh I agree with you, it just felt that way when I first heard the dialogue. I think it's leagues better than what we got from Adventure through Unleashed, though the better voices and voice direction may have helped with that.
I can agree with that, at least.

Spark Of Spirit

I enjoyed Robotnik's cutscenes a lot, not just the in-level stuff. He's always the best when he's a total ham.

Still, the voice acting was much improved from the 4Kids cast and the general plot was a step up from what came before so I can cut it slack for some bad jokes. Just so long as the next one is an improvement.

Nel_Annette

On another note, I'm glad we're going back to that sort of "Saturday Morning cartoon" vibe again, as you described it. As much as I love SA 1 and 2, now that I'm nearing my mid twenties, I can't understand why I ever wanted those to be as dark as they were. And as I get older, I find myself arguing with other Sonic fans about the direction they're taking the series. I love this lightheartedness we've gotten. SEGA finally remembered that Sonic's about a blue cartoon hedgehog and a two-tailed fox stopping the schemes of a fat egotistical scientist. They're not trying to copy gritty shooters or Final Fantasy anymore, and for that I'm thankful.

...Now tell that to a fan of the comics and see how badly it goes...  :lol:

Foggle

It was so weird playing Sonic Adventure again now that I'm older and realizing that Gamma's story is basically about a dude killing his brothers and then committing suicide. That's heavy shit for a cheesy kids' game.

Rynnec

Gamma's story arc was one of the few times where the darkness actually sorta worked. I'd say the same thing about Shadow's, buuuut...

I like the new cast. I think Travis should go a little lower for Knuckles, and Amy's needs a little work, but other than that they're spot on. Now hopefully the characterization will get better.