Favorite Artists

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The egos on these guys is incredible. I remember when they prided themselves on being a simple rock n roll band.

They were nowhere near this stupidly cocky when they were hugely popular in the 90s.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

There hasn't been anything from Green Day that I've liked or cared about in years. They're pretty much dead to me, at this point.

Avaitor

So new High on Fire is incredible.

You all really need to listen to them. Or more metal in general.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Does anyone else here like Gogol Bordello? Really digging this track from their new album atm.

Commode

Yeah, I used to listen to them.  Haven't in a while though, maybe I'll check out the new album.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

I think their two newest releases, Моя Цыганиада and Trans-Continental Hustle, are by far their best work yet.

Avaitor

Random question, but am I the only one that doesn't like my albums to run on too long? By that, I mean that I think that 40-45 minutes is the perfect running time for a 1 LP album, and that if it's going to be much longer, your material better be good enough to fill out that length.

It seems like a fair amount of artists today try to fill up their allotted 80 minute time limit as much as they can, and you can tell that there's some filler that could easily be cut out if it extends past the hour mark. Hell, even Maiden has been going that route with their past couple of albums.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Yeah, any album starts to drag when it goes on for longer than an hour. Doubles are the worst. I agree with you that 45 minutes is just about the perfect run time. Anything from 40-50 hits that sweet spot for me.

Avaitor

I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great double albums, and I do really like Maiden's longer stuff.

But I'm listening to Accept's comeback album from about 2 years ago, and while some of it is pretty good, we didn't need 67 minutes worth of material in one disc. You could have easily left some of this on the cutting room floor or save them for next time, since a lot of little things need polishing throughout.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Between 30 minutes and 45 minutes is usually the best length. If it's any longer than that there's usually some duff filler that you always end up skipping.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

There are definitely exceptions to the rule, but generally longer albums tend to have too much filler IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Check it out, today after mass I went to Walmart for some supplies and they were selling some classic albums for cheap so I grabbed Hysteria and Pyromania for a good deal.

You guys might want to check your Walmarts for similar deals since they seemed to be from all kinds of artists from CCR to RHCP.

Avaitor

Yeah, I noticed Love at First Sting and Fair Warning at my WalMart. I should go and get those when my truck isn't dead.

Also, the title track is my favorite on Hysteria. For Pyromania, I dunno, either "Die Hard the Hunter" or "Foolin'".

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2012, 01:01:24 PM
Check it out, today after mass I went to Walmart for some supplies and they were selling some classic albums for cheap so I grabbed Hysteria and Pyromania for a good deal.

You guys might want to check your Walmarts for similar deals since they seemed to be from all kinds of artists from CCR to RHCP.
Very cool! Is the deal only for today? Hoping they have some classic funk albums I've been looking for...

Avaitor

Nah, they always have a bunch of classics for $5. idk if they have too many funk ones, though.

Oh, another one they have that I've been meaning to get is Rocks. Easily Aerosmith's best.

New blog!