Favorite Artists

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Metallica stole one of the greatest funk rock bassists ever from Infectious Grooves. You can barely even hear the bass in the former's songs, and when you can, it's really boring.

That's enough for me to hate Metallica. That, and I think their music is bad.

Avaitor

You know what one of my favorite Metallica stories is?

When Cliff died and they were auditioning for other bass players, Les Claypool tried out for the job. They didn't let him in because, and I shit you not, he was literally too good for them. He eventually did play with the band though- he played banjo on their cover of "Tuesday's Gone".

Also, this proves that they weren't joking.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I've always just found them boring. I thought Dave Mustaine was a better songwriter than anyone in Metallica, and were way more interesting to listen to.

They must have thought so too since they were using material he wrote almost three albums into their career.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 07:57:11 PM
You know what one of my favorite Metallica stories is?

When Cliff died and they were auditioning for other bass players, Les Claypool tried out for the job. They didn't let him in because, and I shit you not, he was literally too good for them. He eventually did play with the band though- he played banjo on their cover of "Tuesday's Gone".

Also, this proves that they weren't joking.
Is there a bassist alive better than Les Claypool? That cover was like 1000x better than the original song.

One time I saw some chucklefuck RHCP fans calling Claypool overrated and saying that Flea is better. God no.

Spark Of Spirit

The problem with Primus is that as a songwriter Claypool is incredibly inconsistent. They probably would have been huge if they didn't sort of fade away around Pork Soda.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 08:08:48 PM
The problem with Primus is that as a songwriter Claypool is incredibly inconsistent.
Yeah, a lot of his music is too weird. Just listen to Of Fungi And Foe if you want proof of that. (Bite Out Of Life is fucking awesome, though.)

But his good stuff is simply amazing.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 08:10:37 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 08:08:48 PM
The problem with Primus is that as a songwriter Claypool is incredibly inconsistent.
Yeah, a lot of his music is too weird. Just listen to Of Fungi And Foe if you want proof of that. (Bite Out Of Life is fucking awesome, though.)

But his good stuff is simply amazing.
Same issue with Fishbone, really. Only they had a much messier time staying together.

I would still recommend Truth & Soul to any fan of rock music, however. Same with Sea Of Cheese for Primus.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 08:14:49 PM
Same issue with Fishbone, really. Only they had a much messier time staying together.

I would still recommend Truth & Soul to any fan of rock music, however. Same with Sea Of Cheese for Primus.
I'd also recommend Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel's High Ball With The Devil to just about anyone.

Fishbone really went in a steady decline after The Reality of My Surroundings. Still Stuck In Your Throat was pretty good, though. Primus/Claypool haven't ever really gone downhill; they've always been kind of hit and miss. But their hits more than make up for their misses.

Avaitor

Seas of Cheese is up there for me, too. I really like Primus, but yeah, Les can be way too weird for most people.

It's funny about Metallica. As boring of a lead guitarist as Kirk is (seriously, his best stuff was on the first album, which he literally stole note by note from Dave's scraps), as sloppy as Lars is, and as awful of a singer and guitarist James is, their bassists are typically pretty good. Cliff was easily the best part of the first three albums. Jason is a great metal bassist, but you'd never figure it out since they dubbed him out of the recordings (check out Flotsam & Jetsam and his Voivod work). Robert is way more cool in literally every other album he's played on. And for all the problems St. Anger had, Bob Rock's bass playing was the only redeeming quality.

It's really says something when the best members of the band either got kicked out and formed a much better one, died, and left due to being criminally underused.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 08:20:23 PM
Robert is way more cool in literally every other album he's played on.
BUT WHY ISN'T HE PLAYING FUNK BASS :cry:

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 08:22:12 PM
Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 08:20:23 PM
Robert is way more cool in literally every other album he's played on.
BUT WHY ISN'T HE PLAYING FUNK BASS :cry:
Why did Lou Reed want to make an album with Metallica?

There's so many things I don't get about that band.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 08:22:51 PM
Why did Lou Reed want to make an album with Metallica?
Literally the worst music I have ever heard.

...Okay, it was better than Brokencyde. But only just.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 08:19:42 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 08:14:49 PM

I'd also recommend Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel's High Ball With The Devil to just about anyone.

Fishbone really went in a steady decline after The Reality of My Surroundings. Still Stuck In Your Throat was pretty good, though. Primus/Claypool haven't ever really gone downhill; they've always been kind of hit and miss. But their hits more than make up for their misses.
They suffered hard after losing Kendall Jones and Chris Dowd. Losing the Rock n Roll and the Soul writers threw their balance out of whack. Not to mention the lyrics.

They've never topped Ma & Pa, Question Of Life, Pouring Rain, Mighty Long Way, Ghetto Soundwave, or Change since then.

Too good.

Avaitor

You actually listened to Lulu, Foggle?

New blog!

Foggle

Mighty Long Way is in my top 5 favorite Fishbone tracks. Others are In The Air, In The Name Of Swing, Sunless Saturday, and Knock It. :joy:

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 08, 2012, 08:26:26 PM
You actually listened to Lulu, Foggle?
Only because of the reviews I read. I wanted to see how bad it was...

Worse than I could have ever imagined.