Favorite Artists

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The lyrics became incredibly stupid after Monkey (which was too serious), and they really don't have any real thought put into them. Sound-wise it's pleasant enough, I guess, but I just can't get into lyrics like:

I flew to the nearest escape
I ran from the land of rape
I jumped in the krnked up pit
I skuttled over snakes and bacon bits
I slipped on the peel of misfortune
I stumbled while tryin' to recover a fumble
I scraped up the flattened and started again
I leaped from within without a spring or a spin
we be cyclin' in a cyclic way
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Bad lyrics don't bother me unless they're outright offensive, tbh. Good lyrics really improve a song, though.

Which is why Fishbone's early work is the best.

Spark Of Spirit

Before they started misspelling words in titles intentionally.  :D

I don't find their latter material flat-out awful (other than Chim Chim), but after Still Stuck I told myself that unless they get the original line up back together they just weren't going to make the music I wanted from them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

So you haven't listened to Crazy Glue? Was really curious about your opinion on it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 09:53:57 PM
So you haven't listened to Crazy Glue? Was really curious about your opinion on it.
Nope. The song titles alone made me realize it was more of the same.

Sorry!  :-[

Foggle

The songs are about as good as their titles. :whuh:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 10:07:54 PM
Is it worse than Chim Chim? If it is then I really don't want to hear it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 10:11:21 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 10:07:54 PM
Is it worse than Chim Chim? If it is then I really don't want to hear it.
No. It's just really, really boring. It's better than Chim Chim, but it's not as good as Alcoholic, which is their worst good song.

Crazy Glue and DUI Friday are about on par with Monkey, though.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Dire Straits is weirdly underrated these days. I'm not really sure why, they're pretty great.

Avaitor

Yeah, "Money for Nothing" and maybe "Sultans of Swing" aside, their work as a whole is somewhat forgotten. Which is a shame, since Knopfler was an incredible musician and they have some really sharp compositions.

At least they did up to Brothers in Arms. When they started going in a more country route, they lost me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

I still hear "Walk of Life" and "Southbound Again" on the radio occasionally, so I wouldn't say they're totally forgotten beyond those two songs.

They are definitely underrated either way, though.

Avaitor

Well "Walk of Life" should just be forgotten, period.

New blog!

Avaitor

Heh, speaking of Primus, I found a copy of Pork Soda at the GoodWill by my gym today. I nearly picked it up, but I only had enough money for either it or my brunch, so I had to put it on hold.

I'm hoping that it'll still be there the next time I'm able to go there, which will be in a few days. I'm still kicking myself for holding off on buying The Low End Theory at the one by campus.

New blog!

Avaitor

So I went to buy the new SSPU at Best Buy, and picked up the new Torche instead. while there, I noticed that they had $5 albums of their own. Some highlights I found included.

-Paranoid
-Billion Dollar Babies
-Whitesnake '87
-Sailing the Seas of Cheese
-And in case you want a copy, In Utero

New blog!