Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Sym-Bionic Titan was basically already a Toonami show. But as much as I would love to see it there, I'd say it has even less of a chance than the old Toonami shows just because of all the bad blood around it.

TB&TB would be a good bridge for the block.

Truthfully, my favorite era of Toonami was the Yu Yu Hakusho/Justice League/Megas/Duel Masters one. I don't remember all the shows in the line up, but I think it was the best one in pure content and variety. When they lost that variety, they lost the plot, IMO.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

This Toonami lineup (which ran on Saturday nights in the early 00s) schedule/lineup shall rule eternally:

8:00PM - Teen Titans
8:30PM - Justice League Unlimited
9:00PM - Megas XLR
9:30PM - Yu-Yu Hakusho

That was 2 straight hours of first run goodness. One of the best Toonami schedules of all time.

While I agree that Batman: The Brave and the Bold would be a good "light" action series to begin the lineup, I doubt that Cartoon Network would want to associate any of the DC properties with the Adult Swim block. Same for Teen Titans or Justice League/Unlimited. I'm guessing that's also why Megas XLR won't be part of the block, which is too bad, since CN has yet to bring Megas to Boomerang or even release the series on DVD (although both seasons of Megas are on iTunes). It's also very unlikely that The Powerpuff Girls would run on the AS Toonami block, as PPG is generally considered to be a Cartoon Network show and it didn't really fit in with Toonami even back when it was part of the Midnight Run. Anyways, PPG is still running on Boomerang and is one of the shows featured on CN's latest incarnation of Cartoon Planet.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I'd think that DC would be better with some of their shows being on [as], since they're more respectful towards their adult following than CN is with their shows as a whole. But they might not want Brave & the Bold on, since it isn't that old, so it might confuse audiences. That might make the DCAU shows better game for the block instead.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Anyone know the status of the 2003 Astro Boy? That'd fit on [as] Toonami since Mike Lazzo is a big Astro Boy fan and all.

Avaitor

Anyone watching now?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rynnec

I am.

Deadman Wonderland just started.

Commode

Yeah, it's on mute in the background.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Yeah, I forgot and I'm watching Fresh Prince instead lol

How are the bumpers?

New blog!

Rynnec

Pretty good so far. Some are just old bumpers upscaled, but we got a few new ones, and a game review to boot (I Am Alive for the 360). TOM and the Absolution look glorious.

Rynnec

Since Twitter suspended my account for no reason whatsoever, I may as well post my initial reactions to the new shows here:

Deadman Wonderland: Eh, the show suffered from "Make everyone else assholes to the main character because they're dumbasses that can't think logically" syndrome, but it did manage to hook me. I'll be tuning in to this one to see where it goes, and it's only 12 episodes long.

Casshern Sins: Suprisingly enough, I didn't feel the slightest bit tired during this. Liked it better than Deadman, and I like the pseudo-retro character designs and animation.

Of the two shows, I think DW will be the more popular one, though Casshern's appearance in Tatsunoko vs Capcom will help its chances on the block.

Daxdiv

I mentioned that I wasn't bored during Casshern Sins as well and I ended up getting a few replies from a few people I talked to. Tsukento told me that it does get slow later on, but justified it as them developing the characters by showing off Casshern and how other cope in this world. Raidon Mokoto told me that he felt the same way, & Manga4Life told me he was happy that I enjoyed it.

Kiddington

I actually thought both new shows were pretty decent, while giving the edge to Deadman Wonderland. Judging by the initial reaction people had to this schedule, I was definitely expecting much worse.

Rest of the block was exactly what I expected; Bleach is garbage, FMA Brotherhood is watchable, Ghost in the Shell is decent, and Bebop is still as cool as ever. Promos were good, bumps were good, TOM is back and still awesome (but that goes without saying)... not a bad night at all (except Bleach; OH MY GOD THAT SHOW IS TERRIBLE).

Wishful thinking here, but it'd be so great if Toonami could just occupy the entire Saturday night lineup, instead of having to share the first few hours with more awful post-cancellation Family Guy reruns. It'd be perfect; they'd have enough time to give everybody what they wanted, from the nostalgia buffs to the folks looking for new stuff. I know it'll never happen, comedy always rules the roost on AS (and the shoestring budget probably prevents them from even acquiring anything more at this point anyway), but a man can always dream...

...but yeah though, for Toonami's first kick at the can in four or so years, I thought things went well tonight. Hopefully now the ratings are good and they can keep this going. I'd love to see them be able to build off this, and really make it the mainstay that it used to be (or as close as they can get, anyway).

Foggle

Just so you know, Deadman starts strong and becomes shitty while Casshern starts strong and becomes sleep-inducing. IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I didn't watch Casshern, but I caught most of Deadman, and I didn't even realy find it that strong. I didn't find it bad, either, just pretty "meh," which is at least better than what I was expecting.

Avaitor

For reasons beyond my knowledge, Deadman and GITS were recorded and are on my DVR. I'll have to watch them later and see how TOM holds up.

New blog!