The Looney Tunes Show

Started by Avaitor, February 13, 2011, 02:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I see you guys compare these to modern cartoons like Regular Show and MAD and while I don't mind these series, that's not the kind of humor I want from Looney Tunes. I like goofy, laid-back humor, but I don't know if I can really handle that with Bugs and Daffy.

I also don't want pop culture-obsessed humor like we got from the Silver Age shows. Or half-assed Jones and Avery tributes like everyone tries to do.

I don't really know what I want from these new cartoons, but I don't think I'll get it either way.

I want new Looney Tunes, because I want Bugs, Daffy, and the gang to continue to live on for generations to come, and if the best way to get kids interested in them again is a new series, then go for it.

I also want them to be good. I'm not impressed so far, but I'll give this show a shot regardless.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I think that's really the problem, no one really knows what we want from a Looney Tunes show anymore. Even the people in charge of them.

That's probably why we've gotten so many weird things over the years like Tiny Toons, Space Jam, Loonatics, Duck Dodgers, those awful shorts, Back In Action, and now this. None of those are really all that much like classic Looney Tunes, and when they try to make them like that, they end up sucking worse than even Loonatics.

I just hope there's more of the classic style in this show, even if they haven't really shown much yet. Perhaps they're trying to hook the Regular Show/MAD style audience first? I don't know yet.

But I'll continue to hope for it regardless.  :>
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Honestly, at this point, I'd handle a Regular Looney Tunes Show if CN could air some of the original shorts again. Even if they only do a marathon before they air.

Sure, it might cost CN a little to buy the rights back, but it's fucking Looney Tunes. These need to be on TV again, and a channel that no one gets like Boomerang won't cut it either.

Hell, one hour would be fine. I'd totally take something like this:

"Hillbilly Hare"
"Daffy Doodles"
"Tweetie Pie"
"Zoom and Bored"
"A Fractured Leghorn"
"Beanstalk Bunny"

Seriously, that would make for one sweet hour of cartoons.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I wish. An hour of Looney Tunes (new show with old shorts for an hour) would be awesome for both the franchise, and for us.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Finally got to see these fucking things, since I'm having a few Internet issues(just relocated to Virginia) and I've had to rely on my phone, and since iPhones still can't play Flash, I couldn't watch them on CN's site, instead I used the YT links that are floating around here, as well as TZ and GAC.

Anyways, I didn't find the clips all too terribly funny, but I also don't think they are completely terrible either.  Yeah, they don't have the classic spirit, but I think it could work.  The one thing I didn't really like, aside from Bugs' voice, was that they were kind of boring; like others have said, the lack of music was way noticable, but I guess it is supposed to be there in the actual show.  Right now, I'm still holding to the wait and see road, and hopefully it turns out to be at least a little better than this.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

It looks like CN is going to air Looney Tunes again after all, but they only have it scheduled for Monday right now, and at two different times- a half-hour slot at 6 AM, and an hour at noon.

I'm kind of annoyed that they're airing it so early again, when older kids can't watch, but now that I only have one class on Monday's and Wednesdays, I can easily watch the 12 PM airing, and just DVR what I miss. Even if I couldn't, it's still better than nothing, and maybe we can get a marathon before the show airs.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Kind of random, but I guess I'll take it.

Avaitor

Wanted to put this in my earlier post, but forgot it.

Anyway, I hope CN sticks to this mantra again. I really miss that age.

New blog!

Commode

Pretty awesome, even if it only proves to be a month or so.  I'll more than likely be able to catch quite a bit of this, since I'll be up at 6AM anyways(my alarm is perpetually set to go off at 5:45, even if I don't actually get out of bed until 6:30).

And I actually kind of like the noon slot. It'll lead right into Tom and Jerry at one, which leads into EEnE from 2-3. Provided I'm home from class by noon(which on most days I should be), that will end up being a solid three hours of programming, and it's rare that you get that these days.

Commode

Watching "Ballot Box Bunny" now, the first Looney Tunes short I've seen on Cartoon Network since New Years Day of 2009.  What a way to start a day. ;D

Now, where's my bowl of Berry Berry Kix?

Avaitor

Goddamn alarm. I got it adjusted for the time change, but had it set at PM instead of AM for some reason. We had a power outage the other week and I guess I got confused after resetting it.

Would've recorded it, but my guide is still behind, and thought that Ben 10 or some other shit was on. I'll record the 12:00 show before I head out.

New blog!

Kiddington

Anyone else notice they brought back the old bumpers, circa-2002? Pretty cool, if I say so myself. You don't often see stuff like this brought back 9-years after the fact.

Man, it'd be so great if this actually became a permanent fixture on CN again. I'm not expecting it to last beyond the premiere of the new series, but one can always hope.

Avaitor

Yeah, been catching those. I never actually saw any of those bumpers back in the day, but they definitely would fit right in at the time.

I still record the noon airings every day. Although I do wish they would cut back on Bugs a little, I'm still pretty happy that the cartoons are airing on the regular network again.

New blog!

Commode

I vaguely remember the bumpers as well(the earlier ones on shows like The Bugs and Daffy Show and Acme Hour are the ones I remember best), but then again 2002 was right around the time I stopped watching Cartoon Network to begin with.  According to Wikipedia, the 2002 series that used these bumpers before was billed as simply The Looney Tunes Show, and I think that's kind of what they are doing with it now, although I am kind of curious why the "Coming up next" dealy shows clips from the new show.

I still mainly am only able to catch the 6AM airings, and sometimes part of the noon one; I'm lucky to see the whole show at 12.  And yeah, a lot of Bugs, but not only that a lot of 50's and even early 60's Bugs.  Even with the bad prints CN uses, there really is a pretty big difference between the Bugs in the Avery/Clampett era, and the Bugs in the Jones/Freleng era.

Also, they aren't taking very many risks here either.  Most of these shorts are the standard run of the mill already on the Golden Collections shorts

Avaitor

Today was the first time that an Avery short aired. During an all Bugs hour, no less.

Ive actually been keeping tallies up of  all the cartoons that have aired by director and character. I might share those tomorrow when I have two weeks worth to compare with, but I'm pretty sure that either Jones or Freleng will win in terms of directors, and Bugs is by far the winner when it comes to stars.

New blog!