Mega Man

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Discuss any and all things Mega Man, here.

I wanted to start out by creating a Ninja Gaiden topic, but seeing as how nobody on this site besides me truly gives a rats-ass about NG....:(....

Anyways, the good thing about AR having a board especially for video games is that we can now create more specific topics for game series/franchises that we love, as well as other specific VG based topics.

Now, as for Mega Man, I have to admit to not having played a lot of games in the franchise, but I have generally loved what I've played of the games.

Currently I'm replaying the first Mega Man X, and I swear that somehow this game is at least twice as good as I remember it playing it the 2nd time through. I'm sort of challenging myself and having fun trying to experiment by using special boss abilities against other bosses, but this time I'm not using boss weaknesses against the matching bosses, but rather I'm trying to use different special abilities and see different ways that I can use them against bosses that are completely neutral to them. Overall I'm having a lot of fun replaying the game.

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man is the best action platformer series, to me. The classic series is the most basic and straightforward, but X added in a faster pace and a bit of an exploration element which Zero expanded on, Legends added some 3D and RPG elements, and Battle Network made it into Pokemon!

Mega Man has done everything.

Obviously, my favorites include the SNES X trilogy and X4, Classic 3 and 9, Legends 1 and 2, and the underrated Zero series. But the amount of bad games has remained surprisingly low.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I still need to beat Mega Man X. I didn't get too far after I got Zero's gun. Also, Mega Man 1 and 7.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

By the way, he apparently didn't make MvC3 because he has "too few moves".

Just thought I'd let you all know that Capcom didn't include it's most important character in its most important crossover game for the most retarded reason imaginable.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That reasoning is ridiculous. If he has too few moves, couldn't they just design more for him? Why would they boot out what's arguably their most well-known and iconic character? Are they just too fucking lazy to update his roster of moves and abilities to the point that they would just scrap him altogether?

Spark Of Spirit

I have no idea why they did that, but to me this is like the new Smash Bros. game missing Mario.

It's just not right, man.

gunswordfist

Damn, Desen has a good reason to bitch about MVC3. What has this world come to? :(

Spark Of Spirit

In tribute

Good bye, little friend!

So anyone want to talk about favorite games/moments you've had with this series over the years? I'm sure there must be at least a few!

gunswordfist

Proto Man shooting Dark Man. So nice.

Dr. Wily going "super saiyan" at the end of Mega Man 2 which shows how much of a egomaniac he is.

Kiddington

Old post, buuuuut...

Quote from: Desensitized on January 24, 2011, 03:22:45 PM
By the way, he apparently didn't make MvC3 because he has "too few moves".

Just thought I'd let you all know that Capcom didn't include it's most important character in its most important crossover game for the most retarded reason imaginable.

:whuh:

So I guess the bullshit train was still running full steam back in January. Lovely.

Spark Of Spirit

It really was. Not too long after was when Universe got canceled and the dream really began to crumble.

So, EK, how did you come to find the SNES MMX games?

Spark Of Spirit

I thought I'd repost this in the Mega Man thread since this is where it should be:

My Mega Man Tier List:

Top Tier
Mega Man X
Mega Man 3 (NES)
Mega Man 9
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man X2
Mega Man Zero 2

Upper Tier
Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 (I think of them as one long game)
Mega Man X3
Mega Man 2 (NES)
Mega Man X4
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man X8

Mid Tier
Mega Man (NES) / Powered Up (PSP)
Mega Man 7 (SNES)
Mega Man Zero 4
Mega Man 5 (NES)
Mega Man X5
Mega Man Battle Network Transmission
Mega Man ZX

Low Tier
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man 8
Mega Man (Game Boy)
Mega Man 2 (Game Boy)
Mega Man 10
Mega Man 4 (NES)
Mega Man 6 (NES)

Bottom Tier
Mega Man X6
Mega Man ZX Advent
Mega Man X7

I'm actually going to replay Mega Man 10 soon, and hope the bad taste I got in my mouth the first time I played it was just a freak accident. I kind of hope the last proper Mega Man game will be better than what I thought it was.

Bottom tier is still rancid, though.

Neomysterion X. Prime

Sad to see that MegaMan died, I will miss you fellow Blue Bomber and there will be a piece of you in in all of the hearts of the Animation Revelation public. R.I.P. MegaMan (1987 to 2011).

Foggle

Never did play 10, and I'm not really sure why. What was so bad about it?

Damn near perfect list, though I'd move the original Mega Man to Upper Tier. Still enjoy that one a lot.

Spark Of Spirit

It was pretty uninspired from what I remember. The bosses were the worst bosses since Mega Man 6's "please design our bosses for us, fans!" with patterns that were just plain nonsensical in the context of the boss, and the levels had a lot of cheaply placed enemies that were hard to hit. And every sub-boss in the game sucks. The music is pretty forgettable as a whole, too.

Coming off of 9 which was like returning to the glory of the first 3, this felt closer to 4 or 6. Rushed out. They should have made an SNES-style X9 instead.

But that was my impression last year. I plan on giving it a fresh playthrough again soon to see if hopefully my opinion is just overly harsh. Considering the state of the franchise currently, I kind of hope I am.