Super Mario Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 13, 2011, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I dislike it when people dog on SMG2 for being a sequel. I mean, what else would a game called Super Mario galaxy 2 be?

Anyway, those are all great games so I can't really argue with any of them. Though I do like SMB2 (or USA... whatever) way better than SMB1 and SM64, I would never call the latter two bad games. Also kudos on the NSMBWii praise, IMO it's the best game this gen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So did you guys notice they announced a 2D Mario game for the 3DS last week?

I'm so glad 2D Mario is finally back to stay.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 30, 2012, 01:13:41 PM
So did you guys notice they announced a 2D Mario game for the 3DS last week?

I'm so glad 2D Mario is finally back to stay.

Yep. However, I was actually surprised that they are doing it for the 3DS. If they made it as a launch title for the Wii U, the system would really sell.

That doesn't mean the game won't be awesome anyway, though.

Foggle

Rynnec

Avaitor

Hmm, interesting. If this is the route they're going with the next Mario platformer, I hope that Luigi is playable in full instead of just occasionally like in Galaxy 2.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on April 09, 2012, 08:15:37 PM
Wait, isn't Super Mario World pretty much SMB4? Cool news regardless.
Yeah, I always thought Mario World was SMB 4, NSMB was 5, and NSMBW was 6.

Eddy

Here are my top ten Mario platformers! In no particular order because that would be like picking my favorite kids.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario World
4. Yoshi's Island (does this count?)
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Super Mario Bros.
7. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
8. Super Mario 64
9. Super Mario Sunshine
10. Super Mario Land

For the record I haven't played Super Mario 3D Land yet.

Spark Of Spirit

Yoshi's Island counts, since you technically do play as Mario. Even if briefly.

Also, props for not listing Land 2. That game is so totally overrated these days.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 09, 2012, 08:15:37 PM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/nintendo_buys_supermario4com_web_domain

Wait, isn't Super Mario World pretty much SMB4? Cool news regardless.
If the upcoming 3DS game is actually titled Super Mario Bros. 4 then the 3DS is officially the best handheld ever.

Yeah, World has the SMB4 subtitle in Japan, but I believe that was removed in re-releases. And probably a good idea, too. The SMB4 title shouldn't be wasted on a subtitle.

Eddy

I didn't play Super Mario Land 2 until years after its release and, I have to say, I wasn't impressed. I had always heard people call it one of the best Game Boy titles but, personally, I found the original Mario Land to be much better.

Foggle

Nowadays the only Mario Land game I actually enjoy is 3D Land. :SHOCK:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fun Fact: I've never actually played EITHER SML 1 or 2 (and obviously I haven't played 3DL either). I've heard generally favorable opinions about 1 and very mixed feelings towards 2, but are either of them worth getting if I haven't played them before, or are they good more out of nostalgic value than anything else? Also, how do they compare to the contemporary console 2D Mario games of the time (SMB games and SMW)?

Avaitor

I used to own SML 1 and adored it, but it's been ages since I last played it. Never got to play 2.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I'd say the Game Boy Super Mario Land titles are more highly regarded for nostalgia reasons than their actual gameplay value. As far as I'm concerned, neither is a patch on any of the console games or subsequent portable releases, though I definitely like them more than Sunshine and both versions of 2. Land 1 is far better than Land 2, though. That one might be worth picking up if you find a cheap copy.

Spark Of Spirit

The Super Mario Land games haven't aged very well.

1 simply because it was an early Game Boy game and played much differently than other Mario games... But that actually works in its favor for playing nowadays. It's not amazing or anything, but a fun little game. 2 hasn't aged well because it's a very watered down Super Mario World that's brain dead easy, very choppy, and has the most boring levels ever in a Mario game. Since you can play SMW on a portable now (Super Mario Advance 2), the game is completely redundant.

To be honest, the Game Gear Sonic games were much better than the Game Boy Mario games.