Super Mario Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 13, 2011, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

For some reason SML 2 usually commands high prices($15-20), so unless you're really that curious I wouldn't recommend it, I don't think it's really worth it.  If you had a 3DS I'd tell you to get it on the VC, since it's on there for a few bucks.  I'm not sure how much SML 1 goes for, but I don't think it's as much as 2, since for whatever reason it's not as popular as 2.

And yeah, neither is anything spectacular, but 1 has more replay value.

EDIT: I would offer a copy of one of my games to you, since I know I have multiple copies of both games, but I think they are all at home.  All I have on hand is one copy of SML, one English copy of SML2, and a Japanese copy of SML2, and I don't really want to give those up.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

You should definitely play Super Mario Land 2. Great game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

And as usual, GSF's opinion is lame. SML2 is good but nothing special.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 10, 2012, 12:03:13 AM
What was that? I am uncapable of hearing E class losers' prattle. :sly:

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 10, 2012, 01:21:45 AM

Dude you're still going on with that ancient joke? Even Ensatsu-ken has long since abandoned it.

Yes, I just compared you negatively to Ensatsu-ken. That's pretty bad. :sly:

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 10, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 10, 2012, 01:21:45 AM

Dude you're still going on with that ancient joke? Even Ensatsu-ken has long since abandoned it.

Yes, I just compared you negatively to Ensatsu-ken. That's pretty bad. :sly:
Yes yes, I know. You usually speak positively about your boyfriend ensatsuken. I get your joke. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

So, how about them 3D Marios?!?

Which one is your favorite?
Least favorite?
Best 3D levels?
Worst 3D levels?
First experience with a 3D Mario?
Best 3D move in Mario's arsenal?
His worst move?
Best music?
Best power-up?
Worst power-up?
Where do you want Nintendo to go next?
What do you want them not to do?

Since we seem to be getting a Mario announced for the Wii-U soon (whether 3D or not it doesn't matter) we will eventually get a 3D Mario for the system. Before then, let's talk about the plumber's forays into the dreaded third dimension!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Which one is your favorite? Galaxy 2
Least favorite? Sunshine
Worst 3D levels? The fucking giant watermelon and flying stingrays levels in Sunshine
First experience with a 3D Mario? Super Mario 64
Where do you want Nintendo to go next? Make worlds that feel more connected and constant, like in R&C
What do you want them not to do? Reintroduce FLUDD

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 25, 2012, 07:32:48 PM
So, how about them 3D Marios?!?

Which one is your favorite?

Favorite 3D Mario: Galaxy 2 (though, 3D Land is a pretty close second)
QuoteLeast favorite?
Super Mario Sunshine. I don't hate it, and I think it has its own charm, but it doesn't have the same "spark" that the others do.

QuoteBest 3D levels?
Ironically, I think the FLUDD-less levels of Sunshine are some of the best 3D platforming I've ever played. The Bowser level's of 64 and the Galaxies are also pretty solid. And I'm fond of those levels in Galaxy with the red and blue square platforms.

QuoteWorst 3D levels?
Underwater ones. Though, the music they had in 64 was quite nice.

QuoteFirst experience with a 3D Mario?
Watching my Cousin's play Super Mario 64, and later getting it for christmas.

QuoteBest music?
Bowser Road. Just an all around awesome track.

QuoteBest power-up?
Does Yoshi count?

QuoteWorst power-up?
Bee Mario. Nothing against it, I just think its overrated/overexposed.

QuoteWhere do you want Nintendo to go next?
Something of a cross between Galaxy and 3D Land would be nice.

QuoteWhat do you want them not to do?
Back to collect-a-thons

Avaitor

Which one is your favorite? Galaxy 2
Least favorite? Sunshine
Best 3D levels? Um, not sure
Worst 3D levels? Any purple coin collecting
First experience with a 3D Mario? Mario 64
Best 3D move in Mario's arsenal? I just love having him jump
His worst move? Not sure
Best music? The Galaxys, man
Best power-up? Not sure
Worst power-up? Spring Mario
Where do you want Nintendo to go next? All over. I want a Super Mario Generations.
What do you want them not to do? Cut back on the coin hunting
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, swimming isn't very much fun in the 3D games. Though I do enjoy swimming with shells. Also, I always thought Sonic Team should look at Rock Mario to see how Sonic could use the spindash in 3D. That's exactly what I always think of when using it.

Which one is your favorite? Super Mario Galaxy 2
Least favorite? Super Mario Sunshine (I plan on a replay of this after Galaxy 2)
Best 3D levels? Sweet Sweet Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy was the very first time I realized Nintendo finally got 3D Mario.
Worst 3D levels? I remember really hating a certain level in Sunshine. The one where Yoshi dissolves in water.
First experience with a 3D Mario? Super Mario 64 back on my friend's N64. I liked it, but it didn't really grab me.
Best 3D move in Mario's arsenal? side-flip into wall jump is one of my favorites
His worst move? The roll in 64. So useless.
Best music? Super Mario Galaxy 2
Best power-up? Cloud Flower
Worst power-up? Yoshi in Sunshine
Where do you want Nintendo to go next? Anything that has a lot of jumping. So anything that's more Galaxy and less 64.
What do you want them not to do? Hopefully no gimmicks like FLUDD, or boring levels like 64
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 25, 2012, 08:31:06 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 25, 2012, 08:25:26 PM
Best 3D levels? Sweet Sweet Galaxy
Such cookie cutter level design. :>
:thumbup:

I just remember entering that level for the first time and just being like "Wow! This is exactly what I've wanted from a 3D Mario game since 1996!"

Kiddington

Which one is your favorite? -- Galaxy (sorry guys, haven't played Galaxy 2 yet... lame, I know)
Least favorite? -- Sunshine
Best 3D levels? -- Galaxy
Worst 3D levels? -- Sunshine
First experience with a 3D Mario? -- Playing Super Mario 64 as a kid. First N64 game was actually Diddy Kong Racing, but 64 followed soon after.
Best 3D move in Mario's arsenal? -- Wall kick
His worst move? -- Hmm, not sure.
Best music? -- 64 (I love the music to 64; fantastic and nostalgic at the same time)
Best power-up? -- Dunno.
Worst power-up? -- Yoshi in Sunshine.
Where do you want Nintendo to go next? -- More Galaxy, less Sunshine, basically.
What do you want them not to do? Gimmicky stuff, ala FLUDD, etc.

I know I've always come off as a bit rough when it comes to Sunshine, but it's just not a game that ever really did anything for me. There are a lot of things about it I didn't care for; the gimmicky gameplay, the levels all feeling so identical to one another... even the music didn't really strike a chord. It's a fine enough game, all things considered, but it's just not the direction I really want to see the series head down again.

Spark Of Spirit

You totally need to get around to Galaxy 2.

I totally agree about Sunshine. I tried to like it so hard after not really liking SM64 all that much, but it was just too boring and gimmicky for me. I actually made it up to the final boss and gave up. I just didn't care anymore. I'm just really thankful Nintendo finally got the right idea with Galaxy. Expanding that with Galaxy 2 and including 2D ideas in 3D Land really has me hopeful for the next 3D game. They're WAY beyond Sunshine now.