Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Legend of Korra started airing this weekend O0
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

...and I missed it.  :wth:

Guess I'll get caught up online, then. I didn't watch the original series until a bit after the fact, so this one, I want to stay on top of.

Spark Of Spirit

Anyone else catch the new episode? Things are heating up fast.

Though I think Amon is related to Aang. Aang was the only one who knew that move and used it on the Fire Lord, and who else would he teach it to?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Katara did mention that she had kids other than Tenzin, so it's probably one of them.

Spark Of Spirit

We'll definitely know for sure when she talks to Aang finally. But I have a feeling that won't be for a while.

Still, the pacing on this show is fantastic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

Regarding the latest episode: One thing I like about The Equalists as antagonists is the fact that they do have a point. Sure, their methods are questionable and their leader is incredibly shady, but they do have a point: It is incredibly easy for Benders to use their powers in order to force the non-benders into doing whatever they want. Sure, there's the police, but they can't be anywhere all the time. Plus, there's no guarantee that the firebender - gangleader that just got arrested doesn't have associates that will set fire to your house when you're still in it.
So, I can sort of understand where Amon and his gang's coming from and that makes them all the more frightening.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Daxdiv

Who knows, maybe that was some advanced form of Chi Blocking Amon did.... or.... I got this theory when reading GregX's blog recently, he did remember that Aang learned that ability from the Lion Turtle, so maybe he learned it from some spirit like that. He did theorize that it was probably Koh the Face Stealer, saying that the reason he wears the mask is because he has no face. But I'm not sure about that. I might be sticking with the Advance Chi Blocking technique.

Still, what a great episode. It does show how far the world has come. I guess Lightning Bending is also a new form of sub-bending that has become popular, seeing as how we have a factory workers using it and that gangster that Amon used as an example. My my, how advance this world has become, not only for technology, but for bending as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Pharass on April 23, 2012, 11:14:36 AM
Regarding the latest episode: One thing I like about The Equalists as antagonists is the fact that they do have a point. Sure, their methods are questionable and their leader is incredibly shady, but they do have a point: It is incredibly easy for Benders to use their powers in order to force the non-benders into doing whatever they want. Sure, there's the police, but they can't be anywhere all the time. Plus, there's no guarantee that the firebender - gangleader that just got arrested doesn't have associates that will set fire to your house when you're still in it.
So, I can sort of understand where Amon and his gang's coming from and that makes them all the more frightening.
Yes, like a lot of extremists the fundamental argument as some weight to it. We saw this in the old show, the benders pretty much ruled all while the non-benders either had to fight twice as hard to match up, or get killed (like Jet's family) while huddling in terror. He's right that they didn't always get equal treatment, which they undoubtedly deserve.

Of course, that gets lost with the extremist view of killing off anyone who doesn't think like him. But I am sure there are some who merely just don't want to be oppressed by the likes of the Triad.

But I do wonder... There's a skill to take away bending from anyone (except most likely the Avatar), but I wonder if there's a skill that does the opposite?

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2012, 04:49:09 PM
But I do wonder... There's a skill to take away bending from anyone (except most likely the Avatar), but I wonder if there's a skill that does the opposite?

You mean an ability that can restore bending and/or giving someone the power of bending? The latter sounds like an interesting idea. It would be interesting to see what bending skill one would get depending on their heritage. Hell, reading the comics that bridge the gap between Aang and Korra did show off a married Firebender and Earthbender with a kid, along with Aang and Katara also having at least one Airbender and Waterbender child.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 23, 2012, 06:29:55 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2012, 04:49:09 PM

You mean an ability that can restore bending and/or giving someone the power of bending? The latter sounds like an interesting idea. It would be interesting to see what bending skill one would get depending on their heritage. Hell, reading the comics that bridge the gap between Aang and Korra did show off a married Firebender and Earthbender with a kid, along with Aang and Katara also having at least one Airbender and Waterbender child.
Yeah, the latter.

Avatar's world is all about balance, so if there's one skill that can take away, surely there must be one that gives.

Peanutbutter

The Legend of Korra is an awesome series right now. I agree that it has good pacing. Plus there's the fact that they've been able to have Korra, Mako, and Bolin have complete personalities that are individual both from each other as well as from The Gaang in the previous series. Tenzin is really cool too. I'm also really loving the steampunk atmosphere and how modern the present age is in Korra. It's like the events in Avatar: The Last Airbender were their universe's World War Two.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2012, 08:31:13 PM

Avatar's world is all about balance, so if there's one skill that can take away, surely there must be one that gives.

I have to say I like this theory. Though, probably they'll just have the former where Korra tries to restore everyone's bending because someone she knows will get it taken by Amon.

gunswordfist

Ahh, Angus is watching Avatar too.

Yesterday I watched the 2nd episode, within the last hour, I watched the 3rd. Notes:

Probending is a really good idea.

I like how Korra (and the brothers) are almost always challenged in their fights. The only pushovers so far have been those 2 or 3 Triad guys in episode one. Including the Probending matches, she has lost to a decent amaount of people already. I expected her to just blow through everyone until like the first season finale. Pleasant surprise.

The Earthbending brother (forget his name every time it's said) is slowly becoming my favorite.

Ohhh, a hot rod and motorcycles. And the Avatar staff does another good job at making good henchmen/non-benders. Those non-benders used fire bending by using a suit, right?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, none of the main characters are overpowered. Even Korra, who is the Avatar, struggles in fights in some cases.

As for the story, it's really enjoyable so far, and I too am enjoying Bolin as a character. He isn't as dumped on as Sokka was when it comes to comic relief and fighting, and he has a unique style to him.

So far there isn't anything I don't like about this show.

gunswordfist

Just finished episode 4.
-God do I hate the shortened intro. UGH!
- That has definitely got to be Steven Jay Blum's voice
-And from the credits, I actually know that Tom Kenny is the radio voice/narrator (someone's been watching Powerpuff Girls on the Avatar staff)
-Oh cool! Adult Toph and Adult Sokka!
-I suspect that the automobile company daughter and father set up Mako. I wouldn't be surprised if that water tribe representative told that girl to run into Mako and then end up having her Dad sponsor the team and threaten to take their money away if Korra doesn't do what ponytails water tribe guy wants her to. I got all of this just because the two showed up to that Korra gettogether.
-Korra gets her ass beat again. Never seen a star in anything get their ass whipped so much since Outlaw Star or Metal Gear Solid 3.

gunswordfist

I just got finished with episode 5:
-Yep, Bolin is easily my favorite. Looks like they got comedy right early this time while I thought The Last Airbender wasn't actually funny until Book 3.
-Did I mention that I hate the shortened intro yet? I like how they cut away or whatever the elements like they are on the same stage together but the fact they shortened their moves (I loved Air's intro moves the most so that's the most painful edit to watch) and the voiceover  and terrible change of music and how they threw in Korra doing the Aang's Captain Morgan stance was...terrible.
-Whoa, the announcer said "The Big Kabosh". Someone on the Avatar staff is a Michael Schiavello fan.
-Was one of the members in the team they got 3 fast consecutive knockouts on named Bumi?
-And I liked how much screentime Bolin got.