Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

Everyone seems to angry over the inclusion of King of the Hill and Ed, Edd n Eddy.  :whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just noticed that one guy (the one who bitched about us not putting Robotech on the list) claims that Johnny Bravo is unwatchable crap in seasons 2 and 3 (you know, the ones that are the best in terms of both writing and humor) and that it was a bad "nostalgia-fueled decision" on our part, while claiming that instead of that we should have included shows like Kim Possible and Danny Phantom on the list....Yeah, I'm not sure how to respond to that....:wth:

Avaitor

One of my favorite parts is when someone attempted to call this list a little biased... when that person in turn admits that he prefers anime to western animation to begin with.

And rereading the part about the Fleischer cartoons not making it in, this was something really hard to do. I do believe that the shorts made by the brothers are easily among the most important cartoons made, period. But I just can't add them up into a series together. It just doesn't seem right to me, and I still don't know if I made the right call about putting the MGM cartoons in together. And I can't leave certain series in by themselves, like Popeye, Superman, or what have you, since the ranking runs thin when you do.

It seems like I was the only one working on the list to even consider the Fleischer cartoons, and I still don't know what the right call was.

That, and the Disney cartoons. Same deal, more or less.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, this list IS a little biased, given how some of our rankings caused quite a lot of controversy with other people, but really even the people who have a ton of disagreements on our list still pretty much can't deny that its the best list of this sort to come out yet, unless someone can think of another one that's better than this.

And, lets be honest, here: If we were to be completely objective and only rank shows based on importance and their broader appeal and high level of acclaim, we'd be sure to have a lot of classics in our list but it would be a REALLY predictable and REALLY boring list. Hell, even if we did stir up some controversy, at least that got some discussion going among other people reading our list. Really, I think lists like this should have just a touch of bias to them in order to keep things fresh. It shouldn't be a general list but something that reflects us as a group. We rank stuff that is expected and that deserves it not just because they truly are great but because they mean a lot to us as well. By the same token, we rank stuff that others may not feel deserved to be ranked because they still also mean a lot to us as well.

Avaitor

I do think that most of the controversial choices were at least defended well.  I mean, there's a reason that Tiny Toons outranks Animaniacs. A couple, actually. Same with Dragon Ball and DBZ.

I've been planning a response to that thread which hits all of the points you mentioned, plus a few more. Because I agree- if you can defend it, sometimes seeing less obvious choices make it to the top is rewarding. I'd love to make a list for albums where Kick is #1, just to see what people will initially think, and then what they would consider after it gets heavily expanded on.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Angus

The list is a little biased?   :zonk:

I don't mind that Robotech didn't make the list, after all, it's a list of the top favorites among the Animation Revelation writers, not the most influential cartoons in the US.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

We even mentioned that Macross/Robotech almost made the list. That should be good enough, really.

There was no way everyone's favorites were getting in.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Oh shit!

The X-Men anime sounds thoroughly mediocre so far, but I'm sure it'll get far worse later on. Clannad, on the other hand... sounds stupider than usual, if that's even possible. Nice Futurama reference in the first paragraph; I quote that line at least once a week.

Quote from: This part is awesome.To everyone's surprise, Tomoyo does indeed pull two fake breasts out of her shirt, as her voice suddenly deepens and the two boys slowly discover a bulge on the supposed lass's skirt. Sunohara starts going through an existential crisis over how he's been beaten again and again by a drag queen, while Tomoya starts narrating on how his sexuality has become questioned by this...

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out one of the five things I learned in my high school Japanese class. The line "you can call me Kotomi-chan" is actually incorrect, as it is improper and downright stupid for someone to refer to him/herself using an honorific.

The "comedy relief" involving Sunohara must get really old really fast. His antics and what happens to him because of them sound so fucking banal and forced.

Sketch

I think Dave Riley said it best when he described Sunohara as the character put into the show to take all the abuse the protagonist would otherwise take in a harem show. Even then Tomoya still gets abused by Kyo plenty.

For the majority of his screen time he's in a constant state of getting his ass kicked.

I think that can be pretty hilarious from time to time.

But his story arc with his sister makes him a complete character and not just a string of violent beat downs.

I like Clannad pretty well and I consider it compelling (though obviously exploiting in it's drama) but these reviews are hilarious. I'm looking forward to reading the thoughts on the more dramatic moments.

Avaitor

Just read both new X-Men and Clannad reviews. Really good (or should I say bad) stuff. Why haven't you promoted these yourself yet, though?

New blog!

Foggle

Fuck, didn't see the previous two articles. Catching up on those, as well.

QuoteIn short, she's shy and giving out starfish is her cry for help.
Good god.

You've watched A Serbian Film? That's the cinema. That's film!

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 01, 2011, 02:47:57 AM
Was actually one of the more tolerable episodes
That fact alone is depressing as hell.

Hilarious stuff, dude! Clannad just sinks lower and lower. And good job on that new X-Men write-up, Daemon!

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton