Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

I liked Robotomy, so it's OK.

Yeah, it's basically a dumping ground for cancelled Cartoon Network shows. And in regards to "Secret Mountain Fort Awesome", there are actually EIGHT episodes that's unaired. Maybe they can finally show up on Cartoon Planet.

Avaitor

There's also a bunch of Problem Solverz episodes that have been unaired. I'm guessing at this point, the show is done for, and those might air on the block as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

I'm honestly surprised to see some actual variety being thrown into this block, albeit of the bad sort. But hey, it's something!

As far as I can tell, they still haven't aired a single EEnE episode beyond Season 1... and that I just don't understand at all. Season 1 really isn't even that good when held up to the rest of the show.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Avaitor on January 11, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
Good news: They're adding new shows to Cartoon Planet
Bad news: Those new shows include Robotomy, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and The Problem Solverz

Meh. I wasn't really planning on watching CP much more anyway.

Silverstar

I find it interesting how CN will add shows that ran for less than a full season to Cartoon Planet, yet they still won't air Time Squad, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?, Robotboy, Squirrel Boy or Mike, Lu & Og. I understand why Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Sheep in the Big City and Class of 3000 are ignored: the average Sheep episode is too long for CP (22-minute cartoons won't air there unless the show were to get expanded to 2 hours, which won't happen as long as [adult swim] starts at 9), and Puffy and Class feature caricatures of living celebrities who'd have to be paid royalties for the use of their likenesses every week, which would cost money. (Class of 3000 was also done in a 22-minute format, so again airing it on CP would take up half the show.)

The shows listed in my first sentence must've really stank up the network, seeing as how nowadays CN won't so much as acknowledge them, not even for a filler block like this. I'm not saying any of those were especially great, but they'd at least add some more variety to the show, especially since CP never airs any Powerpuff Girls orEd, Edd 'n' Eddy shorts beyond season 1.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daxdiv

If the Toonami tumblr has taught me anything is that sometimes Cartoon Network writes off certain shows for some reason. Usually due to how the show didn't rake in enough ratings to justify the cost of the series. I mean, the Toonami staff has mentioned that shows like IGPX and Megas XLR have been written off by CN and will never air again. In fact, Jason DeMarco was kind of sad to learn that IGPX was written off since that was one show he wanted on the revival of Toonami. When I heard that, I just assumed the same thing happened to shows like Sheep in the Big City & Squirrel Boy.

Silverstar

^ I did learn (from Aviator) that Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi got on CN's shit list because it basically failed to be the next successful heir-apparent girl-centric follow-up to The Powerpuff Girls. Not only did HHPAY disappear from CN as a result of it's failure, but it left the network unwilling to take a chance on cartoons with female leads for a long time.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

Quote from: Silverstar on January 12, 2013, 08:55:58 PM
^ I did learn (from Aviator) that Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi got on CN's shit list because it basically failed to be the next successful heir-apparent girl-centric follow-up to The Powerpuff Girls. Not only did HHPAY disappear from CN as a result of it's failure, but it left the network unwilling to take a chance on cartoons with female leads for a long time.

...Which is a dern shame, especially since CN's attempt to attract female viewers was tried quite seriously during the time when the network had acquired France's Totally Spies and Canada's Atomic Betty. CN even tried running both shows back-to-back on Sunday evenings in an hour long block that was called "Totally Atomic". Kind of a mini Toonami for girls.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I don't think CN has entirely given up on girl-oriented programming, since they brought back Totally Spies a couple of years ago (btw, they're making ANOTHER season in France, which CN will probably air as well), and we're getting that new PPG special. But I do think the days of them personally funding and producing female-lead shows, aside from Powerpuff, is over.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

They won't air any of those shows yet they air Gym Partner. I guess that show must have got better ratings than I remembered, because I rarely ever saw or heard a good thing about it when it was on.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

IIRC, kids liked it okay, but it was hardly a Dexter, PPG, or Ed-size hit.

New blog!

Silverstar

A lot of the people old enough to post on message boards had nothing but negative things to say about Gym Partner, but I guess it must have been fairly popular with kids, though not a monster hit by any definition.

I personally could never get into MGPAM not only because I didn't find it terribly funny nor were the characters all that appealing to me, but the basic premise didn't make sense, even by cartoon logic. Where was this town that had a school for animals in it, and why should such an institution even exist at all? Why do animals need to go to school anyway? Are they studying to be the next animal scientists, animal layers and animal doctors? The human kid (Adam) was only there due to a clerical error (his last was Lyon), so didn't his parents ever try to get him transferred out of there? But I guess kids don't think or care about details like that.

Avaitor

Eh, Cartoon Network is home to a show where a torso-less couple were able to give birth to a chicken and cow, one where a sheep is the necessary ingredient to the most powerful nuclear weapon in the world, and another where anyone can see your imaginary friends, basically making the term an oxymoron.

I don't think kids care about logic with their cartoons.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Well it is kind of a thin premise for a show. It's not so much a set up as it is a setting, which cut it off at the knees before it even began.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

hobbyfan

Let me take you guys back about 10 years.

In 2003, CN was contracted to do a promotional tie-in to sister network TNT's coverage of the NBA All-Star Game, and as such, had NBA players appear with various cartoon characters to queue up a block of eps of said character's show.

For example, Shaquille O'Neal was teamed not with Superman, but with Godzilla. Go figure that one out. Jamal Mashburn drew Buttercup of the Powerpuff Girls, IIRC. Elton Brand, IIRC, was with Space Ghost (George Lowe, of course, instead of Gary Owens).

Jason Kidd, then with the Nets, now with the Knicks, got lucky---sort of. His partner for the day?Jayna! Oh, I was dying. You can tell the same goofs behind [adult swim] might have had a hand in this, too, since Jason, subbing for Zan for a day, is turned into a bucket of water, and we don't see the conclusion to that skit. Bad writing from the CN asylum, as usual.

I wish this was on YouTube, but it ain't, so you have to take my word for it, whatever it's worth.