Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, I never even saw that around here. Or the Dexter set.

I would've bought them if I did (I was still on my Foster's craze, but hell, if I did see that now, I'd still buy it just to say that I own it).
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

The Dexter set is kinda rare (I own it though; Walmart had a few copies right when it came out), but not expensive. I was in Barnes and Noble the other day (pretty much all of their DVDs are MSRP), and even they had it for only $20.

That Foster's set, though... that's one of the few that slipped by me. And at this point, I could never see myself spending so much money on that. It's a good enough show in small doses, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as I used to.

Avaitor

Yeah, I wouldn't go triple digits on that set, or any of these, but if I found it used for a good price, I'd hit that up no questions asked.

But honestly, I still see some copies of the Courage set at Walmart for $15, and I just can't get myself to buy it. Why spend this much on one DVD of a show that will never have the rest of its run see the light of day?

I'm bored enough to share the rest of my collection, spanning:

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volumes 1 and 6
Looney Tunes Super Stars: Pepe Le Pew- Zee Best of Zee Best (won it from a contest on GAC; do not regret it one bit)
The Complete Droopy
The Flintstones Seasons 1 and 2
Top Cat: The Complete Series
Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Crack-Ups (single from like 2000 with Flintstones, Jetsons, Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound/Yogi Bear/Pixie and Dixie and Scooby-Doo)
Animaniacs Volumes 1 and 2
Freakazoid! Seasons 1 and 2
Pinky & the Brain Volume 1 (it never actually aired on CN, but whatever)
Batman: The Animated Series Volumes 1-4
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman SubZero
Superman: The Animated Series Volumes 1 and 2
Batman Beyond Seasons 1 and 2
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Justice League Seasons 1 and 2
Justice League Unlimited Seasons 1 and 2
Yu Yu Hakusho Seasons 1 and 3
Yu Yu Hakusho: Seven Sins

There might be more, but I can't think of any. I bought a random set of 70's cartoons at Gorilla Games for like $2. It had stuff like Jetsons (even though it was a 60's show), Josie & the Pussycats, the Super Globetrotters and the New Adventures of Batman on it. I traded that off, but it was worth it for the novelty.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

I could never bring myself to buy any of the Hanna-Barbera sets.

Most of those shows just do not hold up.

Goldstar

Quote from: Kiddington on March 15, 2013, 02:21:23 AM
Some of these discontinued sets, for whatever reason, are really overpriced at this point. This one's even worse.

Must've had a really short print run.

That cover art of Cheese is enough to drive my away (Man, that thing is ugly!)

Anyway, I have Animaniacs volumes 1, 2 and 3. I plan to get volume 4 (which came out on my birthday, as it happens)...eventually. I've being watching some of the reruns of A! on The Hub, and while the last season of A! is easily it's weakest, I still plan to get volume 4 just to say that I own the complete set.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

Quote from: Kiddington on March 15, 2013, 02:26:21 AM

That Foster's set, though... that's one of the few that slipped by me. And at this point, I could never see myself spending so much money on that. It's a good enough show in small doses, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as I used to.

That's how I feel about The Powerpuff Girls now. The entire series is on DVD as a complete box set, and I just have no desire to own it. I think the weak sauce post-movie episodes and that equally weak TV special killed PPG for me, that and the nonstop reruns on Boomerang for 4 + years.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

If I found the complete PPG set for like $20 or $30, I'd definitely consider it, but at this point, I'm just waiting for it to hit Netflix.

New blog!

Avaitor

Oh wow, check out the beginning of this spot.

This blog is great- full of CN ads from all eras and countries.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Man, that was a great ad. I'd miss those days if I could remember them.  :sweat:

Avaitor

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

God, Cartoon Network used to be creative. Now they are just.... :srs:

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on March 16, 2013, 10:26:25 PM
And these were the best things ever.

Interesting... and this came after the infamous rebrand earlier that summer which everyone (and by everyone I mean the overactive nostalgia crowd) insists killed the network in the first place.

Nah, they still had some good stuff going for a while there. I'd say 2006-2007 was really when they started to lose their edge.

Avaitor

I'd say the start of the awful was the FALL WAS JUST SOMETHING THAT GROWN UPS INVENTED song.

That's actually posted on the tumblr, too, but I'd rather not link to that. Also, doesn't their page look familiar to you? In a zone-ish kind of way?

New blog!

Kiddington

Yeah, that was about 2007-ish. Right around the time Out of Jimmy's Head became an actual thing.

Those were some dark days. I don't love the state of the network as it is right now, but even the most jaded nostalgia buffs have to admit; CN's a lot better off now than it was five years ago.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on March 16, 2013, 10:54:53 PM
I'd say the start of the awful was the FALL WAS JUST SOMETHING THAT GROWN UPS INVENTED song.

Seconded. Although the Noods were actually a lot of fun. Better than what they have now, at the very least.

I love the City era packaging, for the record. My favorite era of Cartoon Network in that regard, although I'm more nostalgic for the lineup of the Powerhouse era.