Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

Adult Swim could've aired A Talking Cat!?! to tie in with the cat head theme. Missed opportunity there.

As for CN, they could've aired an Out of Jimmy's Head marathon today, or a CN Real marathon. That would've ticked everybody off.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Yeah, the City era was pretty cool.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

Cartoon Planet as of late has become less about CN nostalgia and more about showcasing canceled CN shows. Isn't that what Boomerang is for? Sure, it was nice seeing Secret Mountain Fort Awesome again, but why not just run the canceled shows on Boomerang?
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

hobbyfan

Quote from: Goldstar on April 20, 2013, 08:42:31 AM
Cartoon Planet as of late has become less about CN nostalgia and more about showcasing canceled CN shows. Isn't that what Boomerang is for? Sure, it was nice seeing Secret Mountain Fort Awesome again, but why not just run the canceled shows on Boomerang?

Because some shows like the one you referenced are too recent, like, within the last year, to air on Boomerang, and any recent programs that do air on Da Boom are only there for cross-promo purps or because of Snyder's stupid ideas.

Silverstar

The whole "so-and-so show is too recent to air on Boomerang" statement falls apart when you take into account that Da Boom currently airs or has aired the likes of The Secret Saturdays (2008) and Pink Panther & Pals (2010), neither of which are a decade old. Truth is that Turner can run whatever they want on Boom, since it's not supported by ads and it's subscribers aren't numerous enough for their voices of protest to be heard or paid attention to. Boomerang isn't so much a nostalgia channel as it is CN's trash bin where they place the shows they don't care about anymore.

EDIT: Earlier I listed Sym-Bionic Titan among the newer shows airing on Boom, but I was mistaken about that.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Wait, Boomerang has SBT?

I thought Toonami can't air any of CN's shows if they're airing on Boom. That's why they can't show Jack.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Silverstar

Quote from: Avaitor on April 20, 2013, 05:39:52 PM
Wait, Boomerang has SBT?

Oops, my mistake. Titan went to AS Toonami, not Boom. Sorry 'bout that.

As for Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, that hasn't aired on Cartoon Planet since March. I doubt the reason why is because it's too recent, since they're currently running Scaredy Squirrel and Almost Naked Animals on CP. I guessed fans just reacted negatively to SMFA and Robotomy being shown on CP, although I'd personally rather see those than Scaredy Squirrel and ANA, personally.

Avaitor

My grandfather has the TV tuned to CN now, because apparently they're doing June Bugs this year. The bumpers even referred to it as such.

Although right now they're airing a Sylvester & Son short, so I don't think it's really a June Bugs marathon, but a random Looney Tunes marathon. It's cool to see the name be used again, regardless.

New blog!

Commode

I guess bringing back June Bugs is cool enough, but if you really want to get me interested call me when they air Herr Meets Hare or even All This and Rabbit Stew.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

hobbyfan

Does anyone remember the "editorials" the network ran at the end of the 90's?

There were only 2 that I know of. One with the Wonder Twins (sans Gleek) and one with Fred (Scooby-Doo). Neither was in really good taste, just a case of the folks working on those ads messing with older fans. For example, they implied Fred was obsessed with Daphne at the time to the point of stalking. Oh, please, give me a break.

Oh, and there's also that equally lame NBA All-Star Jam x-promotion with TNT in 2003-4. The '03 edition featured Jayna (no Zan) paired with Jason Kidd. I can't even find that video on YouTube. I could care less about 2004, just as much as I'm not much for NBA at all anymore.

Anyone wanna share?

Avaitor

I remember those editorials. I thought they were cute, honestly, but then again, I loved most of the spots CN did back in the day.

New blog!

Avaitor

Anyone have a few hours to kill?

This account has uploaded entire CCF lineups, sans commercials. I'm watching the one I just linked to right now.

New blog!

Daikun

:SHOCK: I've been checking out that channel's stuff. Nice find! :thumbup:

Also, here's a comment on one of his videos:

QuoteA PROMISE FROM TheCNMemories:

If anyone is able to provide commercials and idents, and possibly cartoon intros, from the first Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, aired on June 11, 1999, I will make a "Cartoon Cartoon Fridays Recreated" video for that show.

THE COMMERCIALS HAVE TO BE COMPLETE, AND THEY HAVE TO GO FROM THE FIRST SHOW TO THE LAST SHOW. I WILL ACCEPT COMMERCIALS FROM SEPARATE SOURCES, AS LONG AS EVERY COMMERCIAL IS PROVIDED

This guy... :swoon:

LumRanmaYasha

As far as a complete nostalgic recreation goes, the night Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo premiered for the first time on Fridays (not CCF, the block that succeeded it called Fridays) is something I would very much like to see, because I was never able to watch it that night cause I had to go to a stupid party, and so I ended up never watching that episode for two whole years before it was finally put online legally on Toonami Jetstream. It was the only time the series was ever aired, much less repeated, outside of Toonami, so I've always kicked myself for missing it.

As far as Cartoon Cartoon Fridays goes, though, while this guy is awesome for trying to recreate the experience...personally my nostalgia for it isn't all that strong, so I wasn't getting a lot out of them when I've tried to watch 'em before. To be honest, I'm not really prone to nostalgia much in the first place, so I guess I can't appreciate this as much as lots of other people can. I grown out of my childhood, and in fact, I'm not really enjoying a lot of the Cartoon Cartoons and Nicktoons and Disney Afternoon shows as much as I used to or thought I did. I wonder what's wrong with me? :P

Avaitor

I feel asleep after the Sheep episode on the block. I really enjoyed that (even though the animation was rough as hell, but hey, that was the pilot), as well as the Eds and PPG episodes. The opening Johnny Bravo one, not so much, but I like the last Ghostbusters spoof.

I'm picking it up again and I'm on the Dexter episode. It's okay so far. But I generally think that the Cartoon Cartoons hold up better than most of the other animated comedies I watched as a kid.

New blog!