Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the shows I like the most are the ones that say "Fuck you!" to genres. For example, what the Hell was Baccano!?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, Now that you mention it I still need to finish Baccano!, though at this point I might as well just start the series from scratch and watch through all of it during my spring break.

Eddy

- I prefer most of my anime dubbed with only a few exceptions. Note that I'm not much of an anime watcher, though.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy is the best Cartoon Cartoon.
- Try as I did, I could never get into Avatar: The Last Airbender.

gunswordfist

- I prefer most of my anime dubbed with only a few exceptions. Note that I'm not much of an anime watcher, though.

Same here. I only like things to be in their native language when it's live action. I don't get the whole point of watching something in Japanese just because it's hardcore to do. Those people love to say "But but I don't want the script to be changed." but that's just a cheap excuse and only bad dubs stray to far from the original script. I'd like to hear what the character's mean and not just read it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on February 12, 2012, 11:44:30 PM
- Ed, Edd n Eddy is the best Cartoon Cartoon.
I agree with you. Avaitor probably does, too. ;)

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 12, 2012, 11:53:21 PM

Same here. I only like things to be in their native language when it's live action. I don't get the whole point of watching something in Japanese just because it's hardcore to do. Those people love to say "But but I don't want the script to be changed." but that's just a cheap excuse and only bad dubs stray to far from the original script. I'd like to hear what the character's mean and not just read it.
If the English voice acting is terrible, I watch the Japanese version. Because unless it's just flat-out godawful, I can't really tell if the Japanese voice acting is bad. :)

Live action films should always be viewed in their native language, however.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Real men watch Higurashi with ear plugs. :P

I prefer dubs because I like focusing on the actual story, and that's harder with subtitles and untranslated Japanese sayings or phrases that I need to decipher mid-plot. Unless either the translation of acting is bad, I stick with dubs.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I like my anime to not have retarded cliches in it. I tried to look up pirate, crime and Yakuza anime and either came up with nothing or some shit with stupid character designs (Hush EK, I promised I would watch One Piece)

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 13, 2012, 12:23:06 AM
Yakuza anime
Tell me if you ever find one... none exist that I know of. I always love me some mafia fiction.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 13, 2012, 12:24:45 AM
Yakuza anime
Tell me if you ever find one... none exist that I know of. I always love me some mafia fiction.
I found some shit that had a talking dog and some high school kids in it once. :zonk:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Eddy on February 12, 2012, 11:44:30 PM
- Try as I did, I could never get into Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I can agree with these 2 myself. I have no problems reading subtitles, but if the dub is good I see nothing wrong in preferring to watch a show in my own language in which I can actually better understand the emotions and personalities of the characters. Of course, if the dub sucks I have no problem watching an anime subbed/

As for Avatar, its fine and all, but after all of the hype its gotten I have to say that I don't really think its THAT great. I never even bothered to finish watching the show because it honestly didn't hold my interest for the entire way through.

As for Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, while its not my favorite CC I can still respect it as being one of the best cartoons on CN in general.

Mr. Big

Quote from: Foggle on February 13, 2012, 12:24:45 AM
Yakuza anime
I remember a show from the '80s called "Stop Hibari Kun". It's really, really ridiculous.

Here's a wiki about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop!!_Hibari-kun!

gunswordfist

Rocky & Bullwinkle is perhaps the most boring cartoon I've ever seen in my life. I wish I got much more exposure to Underdog. That show actually seemed interesting.

I don't hate Max from Batman Beyond. I did hate it whenever she overstepped her boundaries but that wasn't often. It makes sense that they wanted to give Terry someone he can confide to about being Batman besides some old guy in a cave. Also, I've seen no up and downs in Batman Beyond. It all goes smooth to me, except for those damned The Call episodes...ugh, fucking Starro, seriously?!

Avaitor

I see that Rob Paulson is getting Grey DeLisle on his podcast. Out of all the character she has voiced, my favorite will forever be Lor McQuarrie from The Weekenders.

I really need to watch some of that show again. I still quote it sometimes.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I never watched a lot of that show, the only memory I have of it was watching some reruns on Toon Disney.  It kind of looks like it was supposed to be Disney's answer to Rocket Power though.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.