Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Comeau on August 13, 2012, 03:03:21 AM
13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is garbage, or at least as much garbage as the rest of the franchise.  Don't know why people on the Internet love it so much.
Vincent Price.

Eddy

I've never been a fan of Scooby-Doo anything but I find more enjoyment in Mystery Inc. than I have in anything Scooby related in the past.

I by no means go out of my way to watch Mystery Inc. though but, the few episodes I've seen, I've enjoyed. I particularly liked the one where Scooby teamed up with Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy, Funky Phantom, and such to find his missing friends.

Goldstar

On the subject of overrated episodes of TV shows, my vote goes for the episode of X-Men: Evolution titled "A Walk on the Wild Side". I honestly don't understand why so many fanfic writers want to write their own version(s) of this episode. Sure, it gives the X-Women (or X-Girls, in this case) something to do, but this episode had it's share of plot holes which are very noticeable when watched in reruns. Such as how Rogue and Shadowcat just arbitrarily show up during the musical number with no explantion or narrative and then are just there for the rest of the episode as if they had been Bayville Sirens from the very beginning. It's like the shows' writers already had the finished script and then someone said "OK, now we have to stick Rogue and Kitty in there because they're regulars and they have to appear every week". The "Girl Power" music video that was included in this episode in particular just screamed "wanna be cool".

I'm not saying that I hated "A Walk on the Wild Side"; it's a tolerable filler episode, but it's not the masterpiece in miniature that XME fans make it out to be. See also the Superman:TAS episode, "Girls Night Out".
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

Is it unpopular to go, "Stop making up new plot threads and start resolving the ones you already have!" when watching Young Justice? Because honestly, it does feel like Weisman's been taking some notes from Damon Lindelof and Chris Carter on how to write an arc.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on August 13, 2012, 02:00:11 AM
but the obnoxious shipping drama really ruins the dynamic of the show and is always front and center. Every 5 minutes Velma or Daphne or sometimes Scooby act like complete bitches towards 2 dumbass dudes.

Admittedly, this is a problem with the show. It's as if the writers are trying to be ballsy about showing that they can take the cast this far in the relationship department, but they always overdo it and it falls flat on its face. That ongoing plot about the old Mystery Inc. is still going on though, and the episode I saw recently seemed to be digging deeper into it with Fred's real parents being there. And I really like that aspect of the show.

Like Eddy, I don't really go out of my way to watch it. I was surprised that they were making new episodes actually. But I'm glad they are.

Avaitor

Yeah, 13 Ghosts has Vincent Price, which makes it considerably more watchable than a good part of the franchise. He can make anything at least tolerable. no matter how bad the script is.

I honestly think the original Where Are You? series is not bad, just horribly, horribly overplayed. Even then, the show was still considerably weaker than the Flintstones or Jetsons.

And I was quite enjoying Mystery Inc at first, but the relationship aspect seemed to suck out all of the fun in it. So much so that I never even finished the first season.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 13, 2012, 12:05:03 AM
Zombie Island is the pinnacle of Scooby Doo!
It's all about the Pup.
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on August 13, 2012, 02:00:11 AM
Mystery Inc makes me wanna get a lobotomy.
Quote from: Avaitor on August 13, 2012, 10:28:37 AM
Yeah, 13 Ghosts has Vincent Price, which makes it considerably more watchable than a good part of the franchise. He can make anything at least tolerable. no matter how bad the script is.

I honestly think the original Where Are You? series is not bad, just horribly, horribly overplayed. Even then, the show was still considerably weaker than the Flintstones or Jetsons.
I don't even have to write a post when you guys say all of my opinions for me first!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is garbage, or at least as much garbage as the rest of the franchise.  Don't know why people on the Internet love it so much.

Nostalgia, most likely. That and Vincent Price.

QuoteIt's all about the Pup. That's the only one I really like.

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo? I always found that to be one of the worst iterations of the series, personally, but to be fair I barely remember it, just like how I barely remember any of the franchise.

Avaitor

Pup is worth watching today just to see how Tom Ruegger's format started off and expanded over the years. Primarily if you're a fan of his Warner work.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel on August 13, 2012, 01:45:25 AMSay what you will about the new Scooby Doo show; I enjoy it a lot more than most of the boring shit they've done before, barring a few of the movies.
I don't hate the show or anything. I just couldn't get into it after multiple attempts to do so. Like Adventure Time, it's not my kind of thing but I can understand why it's liked. And it's certainly better than modern crap like the Shaggy & Scooby *shudders*
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Comeau on August 13, 2012, 03:03:21 AM13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is garbage, or at least as much garbage as the rest of the franchise. Don't know why people on the Internet love it so much. It's all about the Pup. That's the only one I really like.
Pup's next in line for me, Commode. I don't necessarily love either 13 Ghosts or Pup, they were more like good distractions for me, especially 13 Ghosts which they seemed to show every here and there making it never overstay its welcome. So, only Zombie Island is loved by me. Now if only Mystery Inc. was basically a tv series in that vein.
Quote from: Eddy on August 13, 2012, 03:11:32 AMI've never been a fan of Scooby-Doo anything but I find more enjoyment in Mystery Inc. than I have in anything Scooby related in the past. I by no means go out of my way to watch Mystery Inc. though but, the few episodes I've seen, I've enjoyed. I particularly liked the one where Scooby teamed up with Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy, Funky Phantom, and such to find his missing friends.
:o Why am I not watching this right now?
Quote from: Foggle on August 13, 2012, 11:31:43 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 13, 2012, 12:05:03 AM
Zombie Island is the pinnacle of Scooby Doo!
:thumbup:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 13, 2012, 09:03:01 AM
Is it unpopular to go, "Stop making up new plot threads and start resolving the ones you already have!" when watching Young Justice? Because honestly, it does feel like Weisman's been taking some notes from Damon Lindelof and Chris Carter on how to write an arc.

Yeah, that's my main problem with season 2 as well. I'm guessing its a result of other writers contributing to the show as well, rather than just Weisman by himself, because Weisman has never been guilty of doing this before. I mean, both Gargoyles and TSSM had the introduction of other plot-lines while another main plot was in progress, but neither of those shows had a problem in making up their minds on which main plot-line they wanted to follow at any given time. With Young Justice it feels like its not satisfied only telling 1 or even 2 plot-sets at once, so it throws a bunch of them at us at once, and then I simultaneously lose interest in all of them.

Avaitor

The 90's X-Men show may not really hold up, but it has what might just be the coolest theme song ever IMO.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, I think a lot of people like the theme song. Its the show itself that doesn't hold up.

As for an unpopular opinion on X-Men, I never liked Evolution. I've watched well past the season 1 episodes, and I still didn't really care for it. The characters aren't really that likable, the animation is average (and I don't care for the art design, personally), and it had some great story ideas but I always felt that the execution was pretty lacking. Personally I find it to be an overrated superhero cartoon, and I think we've seen much better out there.

Another unpopular opinion I have relates to Sonic. I've noticed that Sonic SatAM is apparently really popular among a lot of people on the Internet. I guess it must be one of those nostalgia things, because I tried to watch a handful of different episodes from each season and I thought that they all sucked. The writing was extremely cheesy, none of the characters felt right (ESPECIALLY Sonic and Tails), and the voice acting was pretty terrible. I have no idea why the Nostalgia Critic praised it so much in that one review of his. Its really no better than that other crappy Sonic cartoon from around the same time, IMO.

Rynnec

Speaking of SatAM. I honestly think X, for all of its faults (which there are A LOT) is a better show than Satam is, and it still isn't that good.

Honestly, I think the only Sonic cartoon that's really any good is the two-part OVA (which was apparently supposed to be the start of an entire anime in that setting, but never took off).