Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

You know, after a decade of watching the stuff, I don't consider anime weird. In fact, it's probably one of the most conservative mediums of entertainment I've ever seen.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't see how anime could be generalized as "weird" in the first place, except to ignorant haters who just think that anything that follows a different general style than what they're used to seeing automatically classified as weird. Weird is a completely subjective term, anyways. There are certain anime that I consider weird, just like there is western animation that I consider weird, but I definitely wouldn't consider one style of animation to be weird in general.

As for me, I was kind of raised on a lot of anime, so it doesn't really feel as foreign to me as it might to other people. I was always used to watching it along with my favorite western cartoons, so its basically just another kind of animation, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, as for a particular anime that I've always considered weird, I'd have to go with FLCL, but to me its not really weird in the amusing sort of way, but more-so in the obnoxious sort of way, where the creators are so obviously just trying to make it stand-out without putting too much actual substance into it (IMO).

Dr. Insomniac

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I no longer get why Goliath didn't let Macbeth kill Demona in City of Stone. I know, cycle of revenge and all. But at this point, with both of them being a thousand years old, and Demona making it quite clear that she's beyond saving (not counting 2198 until it finally gets realized), it probably would've been better to end her misery.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Goliath's just not a killer, plain and simple, and he isn't the type to just let someone else die either, good or bad. Demona is tragically evil, and he knows that there is nothing that he can do to make her revert back to her former self, but as his former love and someone who was once part of his clan, its not as though he'd just stand back and watch her get killed if he could do something to stop it.

Avaitor

That and I don't think Weisman wanted to kill her off.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

You know, a lot of the problems I have with MLP doesn't seem to exist in Gravity Falls. The bogus lessons are cut down, the characters all seem to get more time to shine, no one is as much of a bitch as Rainbow Dash, and there has been no usage of pony as an adjective.

Both shows still have a major problem with pandering to the online fanbase, but at least there isn't a Derpy Hooves or DJ Pon3 in GF yet.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Hence my review.

Which still has me hoping thy continue to cut down on the pandering like they seem to be doing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Probably not, since the staff probably already knows that they have a following outside of the main demos

If anything, that'll cause more pandering.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Hope they'll listen to how nobody likes Pacifica though.

Mr. Big

Okay, how is Gravity Falls pandering to online audience? I never understood that argument.

And aside from Derpy Hooves (who only appears in the backgrounds anyway except for that one time), My Little Pony isn't THAT bad in that regards.

Kiddington

Quote from: Mr. Big on August 26, 2012, 09:27:51 PM
Okay, how is Gravity Falls pandering to online audience? I never understood that argument.

This, maybe?

I dunno. I do notice occasionally references to memes and such, but I never found it overly distracting myself. And yeah, most of the recent episodes have been largely devoid of this kind of stuff anyway; it was really only the very early couple of episodes that I thought this may become an issue down the road (but again, it doesn't look like it is, as they've really cut down on it; if anything, Pacifica and Robbie now stand as the shows two biggest roadblocks moving forward, depending on how much they continue to use those characters).

Eddy

Yeah, I don't feel MLP panders to the fanbase that often. Derpy talked once, but it seems like that's it. From now on she's going to just stick in the background and characters like Derpy or DJ-PON3 popping up in a background shot isn't going to really distract from the show as a whole.

gunswordfist

Kenshin vs Soujiro is a horrible fight and Kenshin's master's fight with the giant was much better. The Soujiro fight was mostly reused animation that was drawn out far too long with flashbacks mixed in between it, kind of like how the worst shounen fights of today do it. The only thing they did right was make the flashbacks actually good.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched a couple of random episodes of this show with my little sister last weekend when I was back at home. To my surprise, I liked it. The humor is usually genuinely good and the characters are fun and entertaining enough without making the mistake of coming off as either too bland or too mean-spirited like in other contemporary cartoons of this generation. I did only manage to catch 3 episodes, but now I'm interested enough in checking out the whole season if I can get around to it at some point in time.

Spark Of Spirit

Pandering includes the vomiting rainbows, the coffee joke, the badly singing 80s tunes into the mirror, and pretty much anything low brow and/or that is constantly repeated.

I'm having problems coming up with examples because pretty much none of the newer episodes have any.

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 28, 2012, 09:17:41 AM
Kenshin vs Soujiro is a horrible fight and Kenshin's master's fight with the giant was much better. The Soujiro fight was mostly reused animation that was drawn out far too long with flashbacks mixed in between it, kind of like how the worst shounen fights of today do it. The only thing they did right was make the flashbacks actually good.
The fight in the manga is probably the best one in the entirety of Rurouni Kenshin.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton