Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kenshin vs Soujiro is a great fight, but admittedly I haven't seen the anime iteration of it in ages. In the manga its definitely one of the best, though.

As for Kenshin's teacher fighting Fuji, it was barely even a fight in the manga. It lasted just a few pages and Hiko Seijuro defeated Fugi with just a single attack.

Personally, my favorite Rurouni Kenshin figt in the unfinished fight between Kenshin and Saito. Its so short yet its the fight that best highlights Kenshin's skills when he reverts back to his old ways of being a flat-out killer. The animation in that fight in the anime is also really superb. The motions are just so damn fluid.

Avaitor

It's a little hard to decipher what really is pandering, I guess.

I think a good example would be to refer to the Big Bang Theory. Sheldon saying "Bazinga!" at least once an episode isn't pandering, but rather appealing to the masses. Sheldon pulling out unnecessary Star Trek or DC references is pandering to its "smarter" following.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Pop culture references are definitely pandering, IMO. There could logically not really be any other purpose than to appeal to people who think mentioning things they know is funny.

But I also think long drawn out jokes are the same, since we're supposed to think the reason it is funny is simply because of how long it is going for- not necessarily how clever or funny it is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on August 28, 2012, 05:03:34 PM

I think a good example would be to refer to the Big Bang Theory. Sheldon saying "Bazinga!" at least once an episode isn't pandering, but rather appealing to the masses. Sheldon pulling out unnecessary Star Trek or DC references is pandering to its "smarter" following.
I'd consider it to be the exact opposite. The random nerd references are part of Sheldon's caricature, while randomly spouting out a catchphrase isn't.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 28, 2012, 05:09:04 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 28, 2012, 05:03:34 PM

I'd consider it to be the exact opposite. The random nerd references are part of Sheldon's caricature, while randomly spouting out a catchphrase isn't.
IMO, they're both pandering.

But then again I think the show is terrible, so here we are!  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Again, it's a touchy subject, which is why I want to tackle this myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Heh, I think I had a feeling that the Soujiro fight was better in the manga.

Kenshin's master's fight wasn't that great but it was certainly better than the Soujiro fight.

Kenshin vs Saito is the greatest fight in the show. It isn't drawn out, (even though it's in two episodes), the build is great and the animation is the most fluid in the show. I loved the way they moved during that fight. So much better than Kenshin screaming, the screen turning black and then bodies drop a second later.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The thing with the Soujiro fight was that it was based on two things, high speed reaction and heavy emotion. Both of which are hard to nail right with the budget of a shonen anime.

Commode

The reason I think shows like Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls(disclaimer: only going off of the first episode, the only one I've seen so far) are pandering is because they either reference Internet memes directly, or they have jokes which they know the Internet will latch onto and turn into memes.  Regular Show tried so hard to make "Ham boning" a real meme, and thankfully that didn't take off.  It's shit like that that gets under my skin.  Just write good jokes, you don't need to worry about appeasing a bunch of idiots on the Internet.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Regular Show has been trying to create memes since episode 1, right down to GIVE US A RAISE LOSER.

And I don't think one of them has worked to its advantage.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2012, 05:08:32 PM
Pop culture references are definitely pandering, except whenever Deadpool or Futurama does it. There could logically not really be any other purpose than to appeal to people who think mentioning things they know is funny.

But I also think long drawn out jokes are the same, since we're supposed to think the reason it is funny is simply because of how long it is going for- not necessarily how clever or funny it is.
*Fixed.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on August 29, 2012, 10:56:36 AM
Regular Show has been trying to create memes since episode 1, right down to GIVE US A RAISE LOSER.

And I don't think one of them has worked to its advantage.
Not even yeah-yuh?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 11:49:38 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2012, 05:08:32 PM
Pop culture references are definitely pandering, except whenever Deadpool or Futurama does it. There could logically not really be any other purpose than to appeal to people who think mentioning things they know is funny.

*Fixed.
That doesn't mean the jokes aren't funny or written well (thought mostly they aren't), just that I consider them pandering.

gunswordfist

The CG TMNT movie is better than the 2003 show.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 05:31:18 PM
The CG TMNT movie is better than the 2003 show.
You shut that whore mouth, this instant.