Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Deffo don't agree with that. Mike and Don got shortchanged in the movie.

But I do like it better than the second and third movies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

gunswordfist

Bishop's easily the best thing about the show (and Fast Forward)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dragon Ball Z is a bad anime, whether you watch any of the terrible dubs out there (and they are ALL terrible, though at least the  FUNimation and Ocean dubs can be entertainingly comical at times, with the latter one being unintentional) or the original Japanese version of the show, its just a horrible mess. As someone who loves the DB manga, the show captures none of the energy of the latter half of the manga and is one of the worst offenders of using cheap-ass budget animation by cutting corners wherever possible and completely fails at capturing any of Toriyama's sense of humor that is present in the original manga. Furthermore, the show just has terrible pacing, even if you take out the filler episodes, and I don't care for either the original Japanese or the Falconer soundtrack (but if I had to pick one, I'd say Falconer's music is slightly more interesting to listen to, even if it doesn't fit the tone of the series).

Dragon Ball Z Kai is an OK anime for cutting out most of the fluff and terrible pacing of the old anime, but the bottom line is that no matter how much you try to remaster and reedit it, the show is basically using a source of badly adapted material with downright bad animation, so it still comes off as a weak show now that I look back on it. The only parts of the DBZ-line of anime that have ever done the series any justice are the Bardock and Trunks specials, IMO, along with just a handful of well done scenes from the TV series that are rare exceptions to the rule of shit.

I used to love the DBZ anime like many people, but now I can see ever more clearly why its shit, and I find it in general to be largely to blame for the type of hate the series gets. I mean, the anime itself deserves the hate, but despite staying true to the story, the actual way it adapts it feels lazy and half-assed at least 90% of the time, and now its no wonder to me why so many people don't "get" the appeal of DB, because most of them have only seen the piece of shit DBZ anime and it leaves a bad taste for the whole series in general.

Its hard to put into words what makes the manga and the original Dragon Ball anime so enjoyable, other than saying that they just feel more fun-spirited and evne though the Dragon Ball anime also suffers from bad animation and cheap budget cuts, it at least feels like that portion of the series had more genuine effort and passion put into it, IMO. Either way, I just feel that DBZ is now a horrible misrepresentation of the DB series as a whole, and it sucks that its the most popular iteration in the entire franchise.

Dr. Insomniac

That's not really an unpopular opinion. Pretty much everybody with half a brain knows that DBZ was poorly-animated filler hell, and usually comment on it as such.

Foggle

NOW YOU FINALLY UNDERSTAND WHERE I WAS COMING FROM SIX YEARS AGO! :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

Is it that unpopular? I still need to get the original DB series, but never had any inclination to get the DBZ ones because I just don't like the anime. I honestly don't like the adaption all that much.

Sort of like I'm not all that fond of the RK anime despite it doing a decent adaption of the first two arcs, I didn't like the filler and wasn't too keen on how some aspects were animated, and the last third of the anime is total garbage. It's nowhere near on the level of how bad the DBZ anime is, but I really don't enjoy it all that much as a whole.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You guys say its unpopular, yet I see quite a big community of people on the Internet that defends the DBZ anime, simply just blaming the bad dub of DBZ for its hate.

Perhaps I should rephrase what I mean: DBZ is a bad show even in Japanese. The popular opinion (or at least I believe its pretty popular) is that the Japanese version of the show is some untouchable masterpiece and it was just ruined by bad dubbing, but I just say that it was a bad show to begin with that was made worse by bad dubbing.

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2012, 06:03:45 PM
NOW YOU FINALLY UNDERSTAND WHERE I WAS COMING FROM SIX YEARS AGO! :lol:

Well, I always understood why you hated the show. That said, I still feel that Dragon Ball is a great manga. Akira Toriyama was called a genius for a reason. I just feel that what worked out terrific in a manga format just wasn't translated well into animation thanks to lazy efforts.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 06:20:20 PM
Well, I always understood why you hated the show. That said, I still feel that Dragon Ball is a great manga. Akira Toriyama was called a genius for a reason. I just feel that what worked out terrific in a manga format just wasn't translated well into animation thanks to lazy efforts.
At least Dragon Ball will always be good. ;)

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 06:20:20 PM
At least Dragon Ball will always be good. ;)
And we always have GT. .3.

Spark Of Spirit

Dragon Ball was always the better half even in the manga (and even Toriyama thinks so), but at least he was still having fun in the DBZ half up until Frieza was beaten.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also like the Majin Buu arc in the manga for deliberately being a self parody of the "DBZ" portions of the manga while also being a clever throwback to the early half of the manga. The Cell arc definitely sucks, though, whether in the manga or in the anime. It definitely shows that Toriyama was plain sick of writing the series by that point in time.

Spark Of Spirit

Cell is a pretty terrible enemy in general. He's just Frieza... again.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:28:09 PM
And King Piccolo... again.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 06:28:42 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:28:09 PM
And King Piccolo... again.
Well, at least he had better subordinates!  :D