Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:28:09 PM
Cell is a pretty terrible enemy in general. He's just Frieza... again.

Actually, Frieza was a good villain because he actually had a distinct personality and at least had some sense of practicality. Cell had zilch personality, and was basically the anti-Goku in that he just loved to fight but he was also evil. That's it. What a boring as hell concept for a villain. Not at all worthy of the build-up that he was given (which ironically was the best part of the Cell arc).

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 06:32:31 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:28:09 PM
Cell is a pretty terrible enemy in general. He's just Frieza... again.

Actually, Frieza was a good villain because he actually had a distinct personality and at least had some sense of practicality. Cell had zilch personality, and was basically the anti-Goku in that he just loved to fight but he was also evil. That's it. What a boring as hell concept for a villain. Not at all worthy of the build-up that he was given (which ironically was the best part of the Cell arc).
Yeah, I liked Frieza since he had charisma and power in his appearance, but Cell pretty much aped his personality but added nothing to the character. Also, the Cell Jr. thing was really lazy.

While I'm not all that found of the Buu arc, he was a way better villain than Cell.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Most of the love Cell gets stems from the fact that he's voiced by Norio Wakamoto, rather than anything about the character himself. While I thought Cell was a fun villain, he was definitely a step down from Frieza.

It's funny, I used to always find Frieza overrated, and much preferred Cell. Of course, that was due to how the dub portrayed Frieza's character, when I saw his more accurate portrayal in the Kai dub, I quickly saw just why Frieza is so well-liked by fans.

However, I do give the Cell Saga credit for developing Gohan's character.

Spark Of Spirit

I enjoyed Gohan and Future Trunks, but not much else. What they did to Tenshinhan was just mean to DB fans.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:55:25 PM
I enjoyed Gohan and Future Trunks, but not much else. What they did to Tenshinhan was just mean to DB fans.
At least Tien got to hurt Cell, unlike Krillin, Piccolo, or Yamcha.

Kiddington

I always thought the majority of people that still defend DBZ are just 90's buffs that can't take off the rose-colored glasses, and actually look at the series from an objective viewpoint without nostalgia playing a part. I mean, this is generally what I've come across over the years.

Granted, however, there are definitely more than a few snobby-ass weeaboos who view the Japanese alliteration as some sort of unbridled masterpiece. God only knows why, though.

Rynnec

But Tien actually got to do something that arc. :-\

One thing I hate about Future Trunks is that he dropped his unique fighting style after his second fight.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 06:56:24 PM
At least Tien got to hurt Cell, unlike Krillin, Piccolo, or Yamcha.
Yeah, what they did to the non-Saiyan characters after Frieza still annoys me now. Krillin's Ki-enzan (or Destructo Disk.. whatever you prefer) could have sliced through every single character and enemy up to Cell... despite him being far less powerful. Suddenly this move doesn't work which throws the whole "power of chi energy" thing that Toriyama built up with the Namek arc (it was how Vegeta got stronger, after all) and makes it completely useless.

Then again, I don't like how over reliant on Super Saiyans everything became when they're supposed to be rare. Making Vegeta one completely ruined the point of his growth, too.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 29, 2012, 07:00:56 PM

But Tien actually got to do something that arc. :-\

One thing I hate about Future Trunks is that he dropped his unique fighting style after his second fight.
He was a distraction. Just like Krillin with the androids. They could have used anyone to fill those slots. They brought in Tien like it was some kind of big deal but NOPE NOT A SUPER SAIYAN!

Dr. Insomniac

It also got silly when the villains were so impossible to kill, that letting a single atom of their being survive would automatically let them come back with utterly no decrease in ability.

Kiddington

Yeah, that was one of my big problems with DBZ as well. The Saiyan characters (and the subsequent villains) are essentially Demigods with limitless power that could blow up an entire solar system or two with just a flick of the wrist. It's really kinda insulting to everyone besides Goku that actually played a part in DB or pre-Frieza DBZ. They're all just useless filler (or in the case of Yamcha and Krillin, bad comic relief).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Future Trunks has what is possibly the best new character introduction in the entire Dragon Ball series. They really build his character up. Then Cell steps into the picture and despite making his stronger they basically make his character completely useless against fighting Cell, even among the other Saiyans. It was such a wasted opportunity. I was also pissed when they made the proper timeline Trunks into such a boring character (IMO). I mean, I know as a kid he would be different from his teenage-self, but even then I just missed the total bad-ass that Trunks was in the first half of the Cell arc. At any rate, Future Trunks was easily the best new character that the Cell arc introduced into the series and its a shame that he had to go at the end but I suppose it makes sense that he'd want to return back to his old timeline once the whole ordeal was done with, so I can't really blame Toriyama for writing him out of the story since it was pretty much unavoidable.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 07:04:44 PM
It also got silly when the villains were so impossible to kill, that letting a single atom of their being survive would automatically let them come back with utterly no decrease in ability.
In Cell's case he got stronger! And learned new abilities!... And became Complete again despite not having both androids!

At least Kid Buu was actually weaker than Super Buu.

Avaitor

I still think the scene where Future Trunks first appears and cuts Frieza in half is one of the most badass things ever.

Seeing that for the first time is one of my favorite Toonami moments.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 07:04:44 PM

Actually, in Cell's case he got EVEN STRONGER from doing that (though it was a single "cell" rather than an "atom" to be accurate). How's that for being ridiculous? :sly: