Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Maybe they should've injected Saiyan blood into all the Z-fighters so they could fight harder. :sly:

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 07:08:17 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 07:04:44 PM
It also got silly when the villains were so impossible to kill, that letting a single atom of their being survive would automatically let them come back with utterly no decrease in ability.
In Cell's case he got stronger! And learned new abilities!... And became Complete again despite not having both androids!

At least Kid Buu was actually weaker than Super Buu.

Yeah, that was ridiculous.

...and then, in some of the later Buu filler with him and other baddies like Frieza and the Ginyu Force in hell, he's still Complete. He's dead now; shouldn't he have reverted back to one of his earlier forms by this point? I know this was all filler anyway, and Toriyama probably just didn't give a shit by this point, but still.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 06:00:25 PM
Dragon Ball Z is a bad anime, whether you watch any of the terrible dubs out there (and they are ALL terrible, though at least the  FUNimation and Ocean dubs can be entertainingly comical at times, with the latter one being unintentional) or the original Japanese version of the show, its just a horrible mess. As someone who loves the DB manga, the show captures none of the energy of the latter half of the manga and is one of the worst offenders of using cheap-ass budget animation by cutting corners wherever possible and completely fails at capturing any of Toriyama's sense of humor that is present in the original manga. Furthermore, the show just has terrible pacing, even if you take out the filler episodes, and I don't care for either the original Japanese or the Falconer soundtrack (but if I had to pick one, I'd say Falconer's music is slightly more interesting to listen to, even if it doesn't fit the tone of the series).

Dragon Ball Z Kai is an OK anime for cutting out most of the fluff and terrible pacing of the old anime, but the bottom line is that no matter how much you try to remaster and reedit it, the show is basically using a source of badly adapted material with downright bad animation, so it still comes off as a weak show now that I look back on it. The only parts of the DBZ-line of anime that have ever done the series any justice are the Bardock and Trunks specials, IMO, along with just a handful of well done scenes from the TV series that are rare exceptions to the rule of shit.

I used to love the DBZ anime like many people, but now I can see ever more clearly why its shit, and I find it in general to be largely to blame for the type of hate the series gets. I mean, the anime itself deserves the hate, but despite staying true to the story, the actual way it adapts it feels lazy and half-assed at least 90% of the time, and now its no wonder to me why so many people don't "get" the appeal of DB, because most of them have only seen the piece of shit DBZ anime and it leaves a bad taste for the whole series in general.

Its hard to put into words what makes the manga and the original Dragon Ball anime so enjoyable, other than saying that they just feel more fun-spirited and evne though the Dragon Ball anime also suffers from bad animation and cheap budget cuts, it at least feels like that portion of the series had more genuine effort and passion put into it, IMO. Either way, I just feel that DBZ is now a horrible misrepresentation of the DB series as a whole, and it sucks that its the most popular iteration in the entire franchise.
I didn't realize how bad DBZ was until I saw some of the Kai comparison videos (including the Ocean dub. Trunks goes crazy, anyone?) I was like, ' :wth: This used to be my favorite show, period?!'.

I thought you liked the Japanese score better than Falconer's? (Kai uses the Japanese score, I believe)

Tralalala! I can't hear you! Nothing will turn me against Kai. I do love the Bardock mini-movie. The Trunks one was ok. Maybe I'd appreciate it more today even though he's always been my favorite character (well, at least some time after I saw his introduction as a kid) since I do like the character even more today. Still can't get past how dumb Gohan was for not eating a piece of that senzu bean to grow his arm back or the fact that the androids didn't even attempt to make any one armed jokes. I mean, COME ON, it's so easy.

Don't care what anyone says, shit or not, DBZ mostly gets hate thanks to uppity fanboys who think the anime they prefer has better writing than the best of novels.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 07:10:38 PM
Maybe they should've injected Saiyan blood into all the Z-fighters so they could fight harder. :sly:

Maybe the editor-in-chief of Shonen Jump should have just let Toriyama stop writing Dragon Ball when he was finally tired of it....several ultra-long sagas before it actually did finally end.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 29, 2012, 07:08:23 PM
I still think the scene where Future Trunks first appears and cuts Frieza in half is one of the most badass things ever.

Seeing that for the first time is one of my favorite Toonami moments.
It would have been even better if he wasn't a Super Saiyan.

I mean, that would have made it even crazier.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I didn't mind Vegeta being a Super Saiyan, since I thought it was rather ineveitable that he'd become one.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 07:04:07 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on August 29, 2012, 07:00:56 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:55:25 PM
I enjoyed Gohan and Future Trunks, but not much else. What they did to Tenshinhan was just mean to DB fans.

But Tien actually got to do something that arc. :-\

One thing I hate about Future Trunks is that he dropped his unique fighting style after his second fight.
He was a distraction. Just like Krillin with the androids. They could have used anyone to fill those slots. They brought in Tien like it was some kind of big deal but NOPE NOT A SUPER SAIYAN!

What they should've done for the non-Saiyan characters, is have them learn a stronger version of the Kaio-ken. It's sudden disappearance was always odd considering how it was hyped up. Plus the red aura was badass.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 29, 2012, 07:04:44 PM
It also got silly when the villains were so impossible to kill, that letting a single atom of their being survive would automatically let them come back with utterly no decrease in ability.

That got really annoying with Majin Buu.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 07:13:57 PM

To be fair, Trunks had a damn good reason to be Super Saiyan, and if he wasn't, then we wouldn't have gotten that awesome Trunks special explaining how it happened. Though, then again, apparently I'm the only one on this board who thinks that special is awesome. :(

Either way, he has the most bad-ass character introduction in the series, IMO, Super Saiyan or not.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:37:29 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 06:32:31 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2012, 06:28:09 PM
Cell is a pretty terrible enemy in general. He's just Frieza... again.

Actually, Frieza was a good villain because he actually had a distinct personality and at least had some sense of practicality. Cell had zilch personality, and was basically the anti-Goku in that he just loved to fight but he was also evil. That's it. What a boring as hell concept for a villain. Not at all worthy of the build-up that he was given (which ironically was the best part of the Cell arc).
Yeah, I liked Frieza since he had charisma and power in his appearance, but Cell pretty much aped his personality but added nothing to the character. Also, the Cell Jr. thing was really lazy.

While I'm not all that found of the Buu arc, he was a way better villain than Cell.

:srs: No, get that shit out of here.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Vegeta becoming a Super Saiyan made sense because of his long-time rivalry with Goku. Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan in the ALTERNATE timeline made sense because he needed to, as did Trunks becoming SS after his master Gohan's death. That said, Gohan should NOT have needed to become SS in the proper timeline. I thought it was incredibly stupid of Goku forcing his own son to be the one to defeat Cell, when he probably just could have done it himself with more training or some good strategy or some shit like that. Hell, it would have even been a better end to the arc if Goku ended up taking out Cell when he sacrificed himself to do so, except without Gohan having to be a Super Saiyan and then screwing up in order for him to have to do that. It would have made his self sacrifice seem like a much more desperate thing instead of being like a joke which is what it basically turned out to be since Cell just immediately regenerated himself, anyways.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 07:15:49 PM

To be fair, Trunks had a damn good reason to be Super Saiyan, and if he wasn't, then we wouldn't have gotten that awesome Trunks special explaining how it happened. Though, then again, apparently I'm the only one on this board who thinks that special is awesome. :(

Either way, he has the most bad-ass character introduction in the series, IMO, Super Saiyan or not.

I like that special too. The scene where Trunks transforms into a Super Saiyan for the first time after seeing Gohan's dead body is probably one of my favorite DBZ sequences (the music used in the dub really sold it for me).

And Trunks introduction was awesome, that's a cold hard fact. 8)

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 29, 2012, 07:17:28 PM
:srs: No, get that shit out of here.

He turns people into various snack foods to eat them. Your point is invalid. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Buu was original, Cell was not.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 07:15:49 PM

Yeah, he had a good reason, but I just thought it would have made the scene even more shocking.

But no, you're not the only one who likes the Trunks Special, it's the best thing to come out of the Cell arc. The Bardock Special is really good too, and actually makes a good intro to the Namek saga.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2012, 07:19:42 PM
Vegeta becoming a Super Saiyan made sense because of his long-time rivalry with Goku. Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan in the ALTERNATE timeline made sense because he needed to, as did Trunks becoming SS after his master Gohan's death. That said, Gohan should NOT have needed to become SS in the proper timeline. I thought it was incredibly stupid of Goku forcing his own son to be the one to defeat Cell, when he probably just could have done it himself with more training or some good strategy or some shit like that. Hell, it would have even been a better end to the arc if Goku ended up taking out Cell when he sacrificed himself to do so, except without Gohan having to be a Super Saiyan and then screwing up in order for him to have to do that. It would have made his self sacrifice seem like a much more desperate thing instead of being like a joke which is what it basically turned out to be since Cell just immediately regenerated himself, anyways.

To be fair, at least Piccolo called him out on that one.

Kiddington

Almost nothing Goku did in the later reins of the series made sense, though. Whether it was his Batman-like "Thou Shalt Not Kill" bleeding heart complex that stood in the way, or if he was just that dense to everything going on around him, who knows... but honestly, he was incredibly lame as DBZ went forward.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rynnec on August 29, 2012, 07:22:32 PM

To be fair, at least Piccolo called him out on that one.
And Goku's kind of stunted when it comes to taking care of his son.

Spark Of Spirit

Goku is actually dumber in DBZ. In the first half he would always jump in first ready to fight, he would never use someone else as a punching bag for an enemy.