Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I kind of don't get the love for the new Toonami block, or at least the obligation that a lot of people seem to have to watch it and make sure it sticks around. Their selection of programming just isn't that appealing, relying on shows ASA has had for years and new shows that just don't seem appealing.

I get that TOM is great, but he's just a host, and they haven't even done anything as exciting as Intruder yet. And it seems like most of the people who wanted the block back forgot just how bad it was in its last year of life- Naruto fillers on double duty and repeats of Samurai Jack and Ben 10: Alien Force. It was nice to see Jack again, even if it was all on DVD, but the block's death was a mercy kill. This new lineup isn't too much of an improvement, either.

And truthfully, I'm not really sure if I want the older shows to return to the block anymore. A lot of these series, like Gundam Wing and DBZ, just don't hold up, and as much as I like stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho and Outlaw Star, I'd rather see Toonami/[as] buy something new and interesting instead, and not crap like Deadman Wonderland.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I'm still bitter that Steins;Gate or Gundam Unicorn can't be brought on.

gunswordfist

Toonami was probably killed becaudse their final lineup was bad. That doesn't make it a mercy kill, just means CN was stupid for not putting on shows they already know we love. And I'm all for them bringing back good shows. It's not like CN has been doing mych better than that lately.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I'll appreciate Toonami when it's a block I actually want to watch instead of something I'm expected to watch.

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 24, 2012, 11:48:19 AM
I'll appreciate Toonami when it's a block I actually want to watch instead of something I'm expected to watch.

:worship:

I polished off Deadman Wonderland when all was said and done... but it didn't turn out that great, which is disappointing considering how well it started, and that was by FAR the best thing they had on there (other than Bebop reruns, but even those are gone now).

I was really excited when Toonami came back, but I honestly just think it was the nostalgia rush from that one night on AFD. Now whenever I tune in, I only feel onset narcolepsy. There's really nothing inherently special about it that sets it apart from its predecessor (ASA), other than TOM, and while he is a great host, he's not exactly turning Bleach into good entertainment. I mean, you could probably argue that the lineup is even worse than it used to be (Durarara was watchable, and Fooly Cooly would show up every now and again), and budget or no budget, that's just sad.

Toonami, to me, is starting to feel like one of those "let sleeping dogs lie" moments. It's great that TOM made a real comeback, and we can all expunge the nasty memories of TOM 4, but it's just... I dunno. If they ever get any shows worth my time, I'll gladly go back, but this current lineup just nothing for me.

...and yeah, the whole general "YOU HAVE THE POWER TO FIX THIS" attitude that I have to watch shit in order to make it better is really irritating. I shouldn't have to suffer through bland/downright awful programming just so the network gets a minor ratings bump and has the money to afford something better. That's just... no.

Foggle

We need FMP, Baccano, and Black Lagoon on Toonami. Make it happen CN.

Rynnec

Quote from: Kiddington on September 24, 2012, 01:55:43 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 24, 2012, 11:48:19 AM

:worship:

I polished off Deadman Wonderland when all was said and done... but it didn't turn out that great, which is disappointing consider how well it started, and that was by FAR the best thing they had on there (other than maybe Bebop reruns, but even those are gone now).

I was really excited when Toonami came back, but I honestly just think it was the nostalgia rush from that one night on AFD. Now whenever I tune in, I only feel onset narcolepsy. There's really nothing inherently special about it that sets it apart from its predecessor (ASA), other than TOM, and while he is a great host, he's not exactly turning Bleach into good entertainment. I mean, you could probably argue that the lineup is even worse than it used to be (Durarara was watchable, and Fooly Cooly would show up every now and again), and budget or no budget, that's just sad.

Toonami, to me, is starting to feel like one of those "let sleeping dogs lie" moments. It's great that TOM made a real comeback, and we can all expunge the nasty memories of TOM 4, but it's just... I dunno. If they ever get any shows worth my time, I'll gladly go back, but this current lineup just nothing for me.

...and yeah, the whole general "YOU HAVE THE POWER TO FIX THIS" attitude that I have to watch shit in order to make it better is really irritating. I shouldn't have to suffer through bland/downright awful programming just so the network gets a minor ratings bump and has the money to afford something better. That's just... no.

Hopefully come November they'll get a show that's actually good. I enjoyed Deadman when it was on, but it's really nothing special once you get down to it, doesn't help that I only really liked a total of 3 characters in that show. Samurai 7 has really been dissapointingly "meh" for me. I'm rather irritated by the fact that out of all the Bandai shows they brought back, it was Eureka 7, I get it was cheap and all, but if that was the case, why not bring back the more faster-paced S-Cry-Ed instead? And Bleach is...Bleach.

Quote from: Foggle on September 24, 2012, 01:58:29 PM
We need FMP, Baccano, and Black Lagoon on Toonami. Make it happen CN.

Funny that you mention that, because there were rumours at Dragoncon that FMP and Black Lagoon were going to air on Toonami. I hope they turn out to be true, since I've been meaning to watch Black Lagoon for a while.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Yeah, I'm glad Toonami is back, but even it isn't making Bleach, Deadman Wonderland, Samurai 7, Eureka 7 or Ghost In The Shell interesting. I'm really hoping they can find something better to show. I can only rewatch FMA:B and CB so many times.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Nel on September 24, 2012, 02:39:40 PM
Yeah, I'm glad Toonami is back, but even it isn't making Bleach, Deadman Wonderland, Samurai 7, Eureka 7 or Ghost In The Shell interesting. I'm really hoping they can find something better to show. I can only rewatch FMA:B and CB so many times.
>>Not liking Stand Alone Complex.

Nel_Annette

Rynnec

Avaitor

What about Casshern? You guys all seem to be forgetting it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Meh. that one hasn't really done anything for me either.

Rynnec

That's the only show I've really been enjoying as of late (already seen FMA:B during its first run), and even then it's not doing all that much.