Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Toonami should've stayed a preteens block, not a thinly reskinned ASA that panders to people who cannot let go of the past.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on September 24, 2012, 04:05:58 PM
Toonami should've stayed a preteens block, not a thinly reskinned ASA that panders to people who cannot let go of the past.
Meh, better than what they were doing.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I really do like Peanuts, it feels to me like a lot of persevering through the hard times to get to the moments of joy which are far stronger than the rough ones. But that's just me.

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on September 24, 2012, 04:05:58 PM
Bingo. Once I saw the first line up I knew it was not going to be something I liked.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I doubt Toonami would be that much better off had it been brought back as a pre-teen block. Especially with CN's current management, at least being brought back on AS means Williams Street has more control over it.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, pretty much. Still, is FUNi really that stingy if it can't offer actually good shows for Toonami?

Rynnec

I think it's more or less a combination that most of their shows go over Toonami's budget, and that they keep picking the wrong shows for the block. Out of all the cheap Funimation shows they could've aired, they picked Casshern Sins and Samurai Seven over say, Devil May Cry and Darker Than Black?

gunswordfist

I hear DMC is not that much better. Funimation should be grateful to have any show on CN. What's the hold up?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, except FUNi does have a better catalogue (besides that one), so it's kind of odd they would pick shows from the "meh" pile to feature.

GregX

Okay, here it goes.

* I don't understand all the love Toonami gets. I can understand loving and being loyal to an individual show or shows, but not an entire block. When I was growing up, it was the Disney Afternoon and while there were some shows I watched, the block as a whole didn't have my loyalty. Liked Darkwing, hated GoofTroop and Bonkers, for example.

* I think "Gargoyles" is better than "Batman: The Animated Series" but everyone knows I think that. I still like Batman a lot, but others have already articulated this opinion, so moving on.

* I will never understand the popularity of Seth MacFarlane.

* I don't think Marvel had any good cartoons in the 90's. Not when Gargoyles, Batman, and even Superman were constantly outshining them in the medium.

* As much as I love BTAS, I don't love the DCAU as a whole. I don't hate or even outright dislike any of its shows, but I don't put them on a pedestal either. For example, JLU was the first to try a long running plot arc, but I've seen long running arcs attempted better on other shows, so I wasn't impressed with the Cadmus arc... although I thought the ideas were brilliant.

* While I consistently give YJ high-marks when I review it, it hasn't hooked me on a personal level the way Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Batman the Animated  Series has. This one will likely never be a favorite with me. That being said, I am liking season two more than season one.

* I am sick of the eighties nostalgia wave. Can't we move on to the nineties yet? Do we need umpteen Transformers, GI Joes, and Thundercats shows on the air?

* While I'm at it, I wouldn't be sad if we had less comic book adaptations on the air. Let's see some more originality. God knows I'd rather see Greg Weisman produce "Gargoyles 2198" next instead of another comic book adaptation. And let's see what Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, and Paul Dini can develop from scratch... they're all brilliant guys.

Avaitor

Quote from: GregX on September 25, 2012, 02:10:29 PM
* I don't understand all the love Toonami gets. I can understand loving and being loyal to an individual show or shows, but not an entire block. When I was growing up, it was the Disney Afternoon and while there were some shows I watched, the block as a whole didn't have my loyalty. Liked Darkwing, hated GoofTroop and Bonkers, for example.
Well, while we were just talking about how most of us don't care for the Toonami revival, I think the appeal of the block came down to the wraparound segments. TOM and Sara added a lot more to the block than just introducing the shows and make way for commercials, and found a way to strike a chord with viewers. Not just viewers even, but the staff. I believe that Steve Blum is voicing TOM for free now, just out of love for the character.

And while not every show on the block was a classic, I think everyone who watched it in the day had a favorite lineup or two of their own. Although yeah, I'm sure we can all name some shows from the block that watching would be like doing chores.

Quote from: GregX on September 25, 2012, 02:10:29 PM* I am sick of the eighties nostalgia wave. Can't we move on to the nineties yet? Do we need umpteen Transformers, GI Joes, and Thundercats shows on the air?
But nostalgia for the 90's is here. In fact, I think 90's nostalgia has taken away 80's nostalgia in the public eye for a little while now. The 90's Are All That's initial success confirmed that.

Quote from: GregX on September 25, 2012, 02:10:29 PM* While I'm at it, I wouldn't be sad if we had less comic book adaptations on the air. Let's see some more originality. God knows I'd rather see Greg Weisman produce "Gargoyles 2198" next instead of another comic book adaptation. And let's see what Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, and Paul Dini can develop from scratch... they're all brilliant guys.
Well you know that Freakazoid! was actually an idea from Timm and Dini that was supposed to be made as a more straight forward action-comedy with Speilberg producing it... until Tom Reugger got his hands on it, and we have the show we know it as today.

But would you want it to have been made any other way? :D

I do agree though, I would like to see these guys work on their own shows instead of just working on comic book adaptations.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Quote from: Avaitor on September 25, 2012, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: GregX on September 25, 2012, 02:10:29 PM* I am sick of the eighties nostalgia wave. Can't we move on to the nineties yet? Do we need umpteen Transformers, GI Joes, and Thundercats shows on the air?
But nostalgia for the 90's is here. In fact, I think 90's nostalgia has taken away 80's nostalgia in the public eye for a little while now. The 90's Are All That's initial success confirmed that.

Is it? I haven't noticed.

Spark Of Spirit

I really don't think '90s nostalgia is anywhere near as prevalent as '80s nostalgia was in the past decade. A few TV blocks are not really the same as the swath of movies, TV shows, comics, and media attention the '80s stuff gets.

The Disney comics are a good start, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I'll say 90s nostalgia is around when I see posters of Kenneth Branagh's Power Rangers in the theater.

Peanutbutter

While I agree with Spark that the 90s nostalgia wave hasn't gotten as prevalent as the 80s wave, we're only on 2012. I have a feeling very soon we will start seeing 90-esque styles and shows everywhere. I just hope it doesn't end up overstaying it's welcome.

Daxdiv

I'm giving the 90's Nostalgia wave 3 more years to fully kick into effect. Maybe 2015 is when we'll see more 90's shows/things getting revivals in the form of box office movies and rebooted TV Shows, maybe in either animated or live action. Though I guess we are on the right track since I do think Power Rangers has a full DVD boxset coming out and you could say that it is a product of the 90's. I'll just be happy with any original shows that came out in the 90's getting respectable DVD releases.

Right now I find it to be a bit of a trickle, with 90's Are All That, Toonami, Cartoon Planet, etc. Those blocks are OK for a trip down memory lane, but it's not in full force like the 80's felt in the late naughts.