Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Swat Kats was okay, but it was never one of my favorites. 2 Stupid Dogs, though? That was great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

If Swat Kats aired 5-10 years earlier, it would've stood out more. As it is now? Like Avaitor said, Batman and Gargoyles did what SWAT Kats set out to do, and both of those shows did it better than SK did. Sonic Satam suffers a similar problem (along with dozens of others).

The theme song is still awesome though.

Avaitor

I'm also not a fan of The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, but I'm hoping you saw my review for the first set and already knew that. I do remember liking the Pirates of Dark Water, but it's been so long since I last watched that I'm not sure if I'd still like it.

Also, I'm saddened that no one commented on my comic book cartoons list. :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Quote from: AvaitorI'm also not a fan of The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, but I'm hoping you saw my review for the first set and already knew that. I do remember liking the Pirates of Dark Water, but it's been so long since I last watched that I'm not sure if I'd still like it.

Just read that review. ;) Even as a kid I never cared for RAoJQ, I guess I'd find more appeal in it now that I'm older, but I'm still not sure. Hell, if given the choice between which show to watch again, I'd pick Code Lyoko over JQ. :P

QuoteAlso, I'm saddened that no one commented on my comic book cartoons list.

What can I say? Spectacular Spider-Man is excellent (got a chance to see it again on Neo-Toonami, still as good as ever). BTAS is a given (and well deserved). B&TB is a good show that I really need to see more of, JL/U is awesome and ambitious. Never seen Ducktales. I remember STAS all that much, but what I remember was still good. TMNT was a saturday morning action cartoon done right. Still need to see more of EMH. Same deal with The Tick (Disney XD removed it form their lineup long ago). And there's nothing I can say about BB other than it's good.

Speaking of DXD, here's my unpopular opinion of the day: I miss Jetix.

Commode

Quote from: Avaitor on October 04, 2012, 01:11:12 AM
I'm the kindest to HB, but I only really like their earliest stuff, up to maybe the mid-60's if you wanna be generous.

I like, or at least tolerate, most of their shows up until about the mid 60s as well.  One they found success with Scooby Doo and decided to copy it over and over and over again that's where I draw the line.

And then there's Hong Kong Phooey.  I don't think I've ever been able to explain why I love the show so much, but I do.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Pirates Of The Dark Water was dry (meaning it was BORING) while Swat Kats is still great. SK doesn't have to have the same quality as Batman or Gargoyles quality to be good.

7. Wolverine & The X-Men
6. Superman
5. Batman The Brave & The Bold
4. Batman Beyond
3. Legion Of Superheroes
2. Justice League
1. Batman TAS
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 04, 2012, 01:11:45 AM
I'll be honest, putting importance and influence aside, I never liked The Flintstones. To me it was always just as boring as most of HB's other cartoons. I think the only stuff I really enjoyed out of HB was when they were in their more experimental stage in the early to mid 90's and came out with stuff like 2 Stupid Dogs and the re-iteration of Super Secret Squirrel.

This. While I can and do appreciate Hanna-Barbera's contribution to animation as a whole and their spot on the cultural lexicon, I have to say that I was never all that into most of their work. A lot of their various shows and characters are interchangeable, and their humor and stories are "meh" at best, and for me that includes The Flintstones. Once one gets and accepts that a) It's The Honeymooners in animated form and b) it's illustrated radio, there's really not much more to say about it. The main HB shows I liked were their latter-day, going into Cartoon Network stuff like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, PPG, etc.

Quote from: AviatorSpeaking of their 90's stuff, am I the only one who doesn't think that SWAT Kats holds up? I used to like it a lot back when it was on CN, but when I watch it now, the dialogue is too 90's for my tastes and the action and animation really isn't that impressive.

Yeah, Swat Kats always just screamed "90's Action Show" to me. No offense to its' fans, 'cause I know it has fans, but SK just never did it for me. It was this weird meshing of Top Gun, Batman: TAS and a furry fantasy. Seeing it again on Boomerang just reinforced how this show hasn't aged well, at least not to me.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Kiddington

Rynnec

Heh.

While I know Jetix gets a lot of flak for taking up over half of TD's hours, one can't really deny that their shows were much better than most of what we have on DXD (barring Avengers:EMH and I guess Trong Legacy and Motorcity). I'd much rather watch Digimon, and Oban:Star Racers over...anything else on DXD.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

I still don't get why Disney had to make their own "boys" channel. Couldn't they just cut back on the girly wish-fulfillment shows on regular DC and make more gender-neutral series?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on October 04, 2012, 09:17:53 PM
I still don't get why Disney had to make their own "boys" channel. Couldn't they just cut back on the girly wish-fulfillment shows on regular DC and make more gender-neutral series?
But how else could we pump out tons of Selena Gomez clones in so little time?

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 04, 2012, 08:56:18 PM
You'd rather watch Digimon Frontier? :wth:

Between that and Ultimate Spiderman? Hell yeah! Frontier may be crap, but at least it's watchable crap.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 04, 2012, 09:17:53 PM

I was going to say "They want to sell more albums?", but then that argument falls flat since there's nothing preventing a hypothetical gender-neutral show from having musical talent.

Avaitor

The thing is, none of Disney's new wave of stars really have made an impact of any kind yet. At least not on the level of Miley, Demi, Selena and the Jo Bros. And it's starting to seem like kids are getting tired of these shows.

Not to mention that P&F and Gravity Falls, which are actually gender neutral, are getting more attention than any of them as well.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on October 04, 2012, 09:29:51 PM
The thing is, none of Disney's new wave of stars really have made an impact of any kind yet. At least not on the level of Miley, Demi, Selena and the Jo Bros. And it's starting to seem like kids are getting tired of these shows.

Not to mention that P&F and Gravity Falls, which are actually gender neutral, are getting more attention than any of them as well.

HOW DARE YOU.

CHINA MCCLAIN IS DISNEY'S NEXT BIG STAR AND DON'T YOU FUCKING FORGET IT. HAVE YOU EVEN HEARD "CALLING ALL THE MONSTERS"? IT PEAKED AT 86 ON THE BILLBOARD TOP 100! EIGHTY. SIX.

YOU'LL SEE. YOU'LL *ALL* SEE.