Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that I think of it, the perfect example of a show that I get perfectly fine but still don't care for is Samurai Jack, which I've already mentioned on this thread before.

I do get that its going for a bizarre stylistic-take and paying homage to many classic films from eastern to western, and I get that it tries to tell a lot through visuals rather than lots of dialogue, and that's just fine. It just so happens that I find the execution of the show to be pretty weak and it usually leaves me completely uninterested, which is why I don't consider it one of the greatest shows from Cartoon Network even though so many other people do. And its fine that everyone else loves it so much, which doesn't really bother me, but I've had people tell me that I just can't get it or something along those lines when I express my problems with the cartoon, and that has always pissed me off quite a bit.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm just saying that it's a weak argument to criticize detractors of anything including animation and that it's part of a larger problem in entertainment nowadays.

Some people try to dismantle arguments by saying the detractor doesn't "get it" (as Silverstar said) which is just a way to make criticism invalid and devalue someone's opinion, I get that. But in my opinion if you take that argument further you end up with what I stated above.

Either way, I don't like it either.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 21, 2012, 09:40:28 PM
Now that I think of it, the perfect example of a show that I get perfectly fine but still don't care for is Samurai Jack, which I've already mentioned on this thread before.

I do get that its going for a bizarre stylistic-take and paying homage to many classic films from eastern to western, and I get that it tries to tell a lot through visuals rather than lots of dialogue, and that's just fine. It just so happens that I find the execution of the show to be pretty weak and it usually leaves me completely uninterested, which is why I don't consider it one of the greatest shows from Cartoon Network even though so many other people do. And its fine that everyone else loves it so much, which doesn't really bother me, but I've had people tell me that I just can't get it or something along those lines when I express my problems with the cartoon, and that has always pissed me off quite a bit.
Well maybe you just don't get what Genndy was going for. Sounds like your problem and not the show's, so what is wrong with you?

Hater.

Yes, I also find the show lacking when I watch it nowadays.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Goldstar

9 times out of 10, when someone types "Anyone who doesn't like it just doesn't get it.", what they really want to say is "If you don't like my favorite show, then you're just stupid." The former is just a way of wording the latter that won't get the poster into trouble with the people in charge.

One case of this for me is definitely Nick's Hey, Arnold! For whatever reason, this show just never pulled me in. I understand that Craig Bartlett tried to make his show more than just a kids' comedy cartoon, but I didn't care for how some shorts would be played strictly for laughs while others would be almost completely humorless. This coupled with the fact that most Arnold's plots were so predictable that you could bet off of them. I guess that Hey, Arnold! was meant to be a "dramedy" (a mix of comedy and drama), but I just never cared for the shows' approach. Plus, it was clear that Mr. Bartlett enjoyed the character of Helga much more than I did. I  personally thought that the episode "Helga On the Couch" was a total bore. I felt like the only person on the planet who didn't find that ep to be some masterpiece in miniature. So naturally, when I typed my views of Arnold! on Toon Zone, some pretentious d-bag hit me with "Well, you obviously don't get it."

This is more about some hardcore fans than it is about animation itself; I find it annoying when some hardcore fans can't accept that a show they really like gets canceled and so they pull these insane conspiracy theories out of their pants as to the "real" reason why "their" show got the ax. "So-and-so show was canceled because the head of the network hated it and wanted it gone." "Hi-Hi Puffy Ami-Yumi was canceled because the President of Cartoon Network has a prejudice against Japan!" Never mind the fact that HHPAY was about Japanese as a Quarter Pounder. It's never because it wasn't getting the ratings. My favorite excuse of all time is "Class of 3000 was canceled because the President of CN is a racist who thinks Andre Benjamin is a gangster because he played one in the movie Four Brothers."  :lol:
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

"HHPAY was about Japanese as a Quarter Pounder"

I spit on my screen due to laughter from this part. I need to sig this.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

Quote from: Goldstar on December 22, 2012, 09:35:27 AM
This is more about some hardcore fans than it is about animation itself; I find it annoying when some hardcore fans can't accept that a show they really like gets canceled and so they pull these insane conspiracy theories out of their pants as to the "real" reason why "their" show got the ax. "So-and-so show was canceled because the head of the network hated it and wanted it gone." "Hi-Hi Puffy Ami-Yumi was canceled because the President of Cartoon Network has a prejudice against Japan!" Never mind the fact that HHPAY was about Japanese as a Quarter Pounder. It's never because it wasn't getting the ratings. My favorite excuse of all time is "Class of 3000 was canceled because the President of CN is a racist who thinks Andre Benjamin is a gangster because he played one in the movie Four Brothers."  :lol:
Maybe it's just because the shows were terrible.

And Andre 3000 is gangster, Outkast is so gangster.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Class of 3000 at least had a pretty cool pilot special.

And I wanna do a candy toss.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

I enjoyed Class of 3000 also, but the shows' ratings weren't that great and the show was too expensive to keep producing if only a few people were going to watch. That's why Co3 was canceled. It had nothing to do with racism or anything else.

Interestingly, some Hi-Hi Puffy Ami Yumi fans have tried to scapegoat Co3 as being the reason why PAY was canceled. Because "Cartoon Network didn't want 2 shows about musicians". You know that's bs because if 1 show about a musician brought in monster sized ratings for CN, the network would immediately order 7 more.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I remember Puffy doing pretty okay at one point, but never was a monster-sized hit. CN really wanted it to become their next PPG, and they over-marketed it so it could be, but the show just never became that popular.

I also remember reading a line from Lauren Faust saying that the show was so bad and that if it didn't do well, it would mean the end of girl-lead shows for Cartoon Network. It pretty much did, too.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 21, 2012, 09:40:28 PM

One show that I always seem to get accused of "just not getting" because I'm personally not into it is Adventure Time. Whenever I say that I'm not into the stories or the show's style of execution and how I'd personally prefer if AT were just a wacky comedy cartoon, I get slapped with "Oh, you just don't get it! It's great that it's more than just a comedy, it has the post-apocalyptic setting, drama, story arcs, character development, blah blah blah". Again, I don't have any problem understanding all that; I'm just not personally into it. I get AT fine, I just don't find the stuff they do on it to be entertaining, I don't care for a lot of the characters, I don't find the stories interesting and I would rather it just focus on being funny.

Admittedly, it's hard for me to accept Adventure Time as anything other than a goofy comedy due to the show's childlike art style, bright colors and goofy characters. Don't put a show on the air starring a spazzy kid wearing a bear hat, a magical talking dog and colorful living candy people and then expect me to take it seriously as an adventure/drama.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

The Shadow Gentleman

I don't think Zemeckis' Christmas Carol is all that bad.

The first Code Geass is on the same level as R2. In other words, shit. I also find Spinzaku more interesting then Ledouch.

The first season of Korra is a textbook case of "Good Idea, Poor Execution".

While he has made some impressive films, I think Don Bluth gets overrated a lot.

Tron Uprising is the best new show of the year.

Anything else I could say seems to have already been brought up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Graywulf76 on January 02, 2013, 04:49:55 PMThe first Code Geass is on the same level as R2. In other words, shit. I also find Spinzaku more interesting then Ledouch.

You and I are in complete agreement, sir! :thumbup:

Nel_Annette

I enjoyed Korra, but I really do think the season finale episodes were absolute crap barring the boat scene.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 02, 2013, 09:28:24 PM
I enjoyed Korra, but I really do think the season finale episodes were absolute crap barring the boat scene.
That scene got to me. I thought the finale and the episode where the Fire Ferrets and Mako's gf patrol the city felt forced and rushed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

I like Korra, especially some of the characters and the setting, but like I said its a good idea with bad execution. While it started off ok, the rest of the season completely dropped the ball IMO. The crappy love triangle took over and two of the main characters were pushed to the side so that the other two could get together in a very shallow relationship. None of the characters were developed, Korra herself remaining selfish,arrogant and getting every thing she wants. Mako wasn't called out for all the dick moves he made. The Equalists movement was brushed aside as just being evil without anyone suggesting they might actually have a point.

There are a bunch of other little things, like how Korra treats Asami like crap because shes "prissy", and Lin's dislike of Korra apparently coming from a past breakup rather then because Korra is so destructive, that also bothered be.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm bashing this show, but I really do want to enjoy it more and see it improve.

That's enough ranting for one day.  :sweat: