Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I think both Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are both boring
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Goldstar

Well, there are 2 types of people in this world: people who like Animaniacs, and people who don't like Animaniacs (Sorry, couldn't resist). :D

As much as I enjoyed Pinky and the Brain, I don't think that they needed their own spinoff series. I liked P&tB when it was just a recurring segment on Animaniacs, but non-stop P&tB for 22 minutes each week without a break, it got old pretty fast. For some reason, I felt that P&tB worked best in short intervals. The shows' last season when the network started messing with the show, was particularly unenjoyable. The WB wanted to make P&tB their version of The Simpsons. They didn't want taking over the world to be the characters' primary goal anymore, which ultimately led to the gawdawful Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain, a thing that was so dreadful that it lead to Peter Hastings leaving Warner Brothers to work elsewhere.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

The Shadow Gentleman

Honestly, while I like them just fine, I can't say I really like any of the Silver Age shows. Only every once in a while do they make me laugh as hard as a good Looney Tune will.

Although I can say with certainty that Freakazoid is the single funniest character of the entire Silver Age.

Also, bitchin new avatar, Goldstar.  :thumbup:

AddThreeAndFive

I have a few.

I think Woody Woodpecker is severely underrated and dismissed by many as a poor man's Daffy Duck. He had a distinctive personality and some great cartoons especially in the 40s. But I don't find many of his 50s-70s toons watchable. The voice never sounds right. Walter Lantz said he never knew his wife auditioned, but I don't know if I believe him.

Jonny Quest, Yogi Bear, and parts of The Flintstones/Jetsons are the only worthwhile output by Hanna-Barbera. I also like the later seasons of Flintstones more, when it stopped being animated
Honeymooners and became weird (Great Gazoo, the Bewitched couple guest star, Fred turning into an ape/being cloned). The early seasons are boring. I'll also admit I kinda like Wacky Races, but only in short bursts.

I like a lot of the late 50s-early 60s Looney Tunes (after the so called "Golden Age" but before Cool Cat and the spinning abstract titles). There's some great gems in there like The Million Hare, Transylvania 6-500, Mad as a Mars Hare, Now Hear This, and some others I don't remember right now. It's not their zenith but they're still fun to watch.

I thought Ren & Stimpy was pretty good overall, and I admire John K as an artist. But he has horrible business sense and a lot of his fans are insufferable. On the flip side, others seem to think he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I don't worship at his feet but I don't actively hate him either.

Friz Freleng > Chuck Jones. For one thing, he created Yosemite Sam. And I find his cartoons to be funnier on the whole. Chuck Jones directed one too many Road Runners for his own good. His cartoons also have an annoying cuteness to them. Friz Freleng seems to get the shaft in most peoples eyes (John K calls him a hack. Proof I don't follow his every word.)

Quote from: Goldstar on January 16, 2013, 03:09:45 PM
As much as I enjoyed Pinky and the Brain, I don't think that they needed their own spinoff series. I liked P&tB when it was just a recurring segment on Animaniacs, but non-stop P&tB for 22 minutes each week without a break, it got old pretty fast. For some reason, I felt that P&tB worked best in short intervals.

I didn't understand the point of this either. For years, I thought they didn't make new P&TB segments for the standalone show.

Spark Of Spirit

I agree with Woody Woodpecker. He gets way too much guff.

Quote from: AddThreeAndFive on January 16, 2013, 10:29:15 PMI thought Ren & Stimpy was pretty good overall, and I admire John K as an artist. But he has horrible business sense and a lot of his fans are insufferable. On the flip side, others seem to think he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I don't worship at his feet but I don't actively hate him either.
My biggest issue is that the man has no writing skills. His animation and art can be impressive but more often than not its his terrible inability to craft a joke than turns me away from his material.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I didn't like Ren and Stimpy. It did have its moments. But I just found it to be a lot of nonsense with little actual substance. A lot of people say the adult version they later made was absolute garbage. And I can wholly imagine that being the truth. But it doesn't make the original anything great, even if it is gold compared to its later episodes.

Avaitor

Walter Lantz's stuff is ripe for rediscovery, his Woody Woodpecker classics most of all.

But you prefer the later Flintstones, really? There's some fun episodes in there, but a lot of the weaker ones that people refer to when they think about the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: AddThreeAndFive on January 16, 2013, 10:29:15 PM
Jonny Quest, Yogi Bear, and parts of The Flintstones/Jetsons are the only worthwhile output by Hanna-Barbera
:thumbup:

Avaitor

And they are actually good, unlike what some people think.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

Eh, I could never really get into The Flintstones. It offered some chuckles here and there, but overall the show never clicked with me. Aside from how for the most part it was just a) The Honeymooners in animated form and b) illustrated radio, I never saw the point of the whole "modern Stone Age family" gimmick. If you're going to make a prehistoric society that mimics present day society so closely, then you might as well just set the show in modern times. If I'm watching a show about cavemen, I want to see them living like cavemen and doing caveman stuff, like hunting and gathering, having tribal rituals, discovering new things for the first time, etc.

Plus, it never made sense how the people in Bedrock celebrated Christmas millions of years before the birth of Jesus. I know that's over-thinking it, but yeah.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Goldstar on January 16, 2013, 03:09:45 PM
Well, there are 2 types of people in this world: people who like Animaniacs, and people who don't like Animaniacs (Sorry, couldn't resist). :D

As much as I enjoyed Pinky and the Brain, I don't think that they needed their own spinoff series. I liked P&tB when it was just a recurring segment on Animaniacs, but non-stop P&tB for 22 minutes each week without a break, it got old pretty fast. For some reason, I felt that P&tB worked best in short intervals. The shows' last season when the network started messing with the show, was particularly unenjoyable. The WB wanted to make P&tB their version of The Simpsons. They didn't want taking over the world to be the characters' primary goal anymore, which ultimately led to the gawdawful Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain, a thing that was so dreadful that it lead to Peter Hastings leaving Warner Brothers to work elsewhere.
Funny enough PB is the only thing I liked about Animaniacs. Everything else put me to sleep. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 17, 2013, 09:04:47 AMFunny enough PB is the only thing I liked about Animaniacs. Everything else put me to sleep. :D

Even a casual fan of Pinky & The Brain wouldn't like Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain. In fact, they didn't. It would've been an imrpovement to PE&B if it had been merely sleep-inducing; it was so jaw-droppingly bad that you'd find yourself wanting to stick your tongue into a light socket just for some relief. It's every bit as bad as you've heard.

Here's another one: I actually didn't mind Teletoon's 2007 remake of George of the Jungle. No, it didn't hold a candle to Jay Ward's original, and if you compare the 2, the original GotJ wins easily, but I thought the new series was still OK, if you viewed it as its' own thing and didn't constantly try to stack it up against the original. I certainly didn't see it as some abomination against God and nature like so many people on Toon Zone did.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on January 17, 2013, 07:27:22 AM
And they are actually good, unlike what some people think.

AddThreeAndFive

Quote from: Silverstar on January 17, 2013, 09:14:09 AMHere's another one: I actually didn't mind Teletoon's 2007 remake of George of the Jungle. No, it didn't hold a candle to Jay Ward's original, and if you compare the 2, the original GotJ wins easily, but I thought the new series was still OK, if you viewed it as its' own thing and didn't constantly try to stack it up against the original. I certainly didn't see it as some abomination against God and nature like so many people on Toon Zone did.

Same here. I'm a huge fan of Jay Ward and I know even Hoppity Hooper was better than it but it was still an alright show. I do think it got better towards its end, especially with that 4-part finale episode.

I never liked Ed, Edd, & Eddy all that much. I was definitely a Cartoon Network kid but that show always made me turn to Nick. Everyone was a jerk to each other. Eddy would try to con the kids, Kevin would call him a dork, Jimmy would rat on them to Sarah, Sarah would blow up at them. I don't know why people find that stuff funny. The animation was pretty messy too. I preferred the clean style of the other cartoons. Also the Kanker sisters. I did like Johnny but he wasn't used enough. I just think CN had better cartoons than that one and I don't know why it lasted so long. It feels like an animated It's Always Sunny, another jerk show that I can't get into.

I didn't like Megas XLR either. I remember watching it as part of a "vote for the newest Cartoon Cartoon" block and I didn't like it. The characters just seemed too obnoxious and "bro" for me then. Of course, the one I liked didn't make it to series.

Cartoons I did like that no one talks about anymore are Time Squad, Sheep in the Big City, Robotomy (it was like Superjail but without the disgusting parts), and the  Problem Solverz. Yes, you heard me. It's supposed to be bad because it's ironic. But I appreciated it on a non-ironic level too. I also liked Secret Mountain Fort Awesome (though that took a few viewings to grow on me). Maybe I'd like Megas XLR more now because SMFA was filled with bro humor.