Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AddThreeAndFive

I can see why John K always harps about "writers creating cartoons" if he himself is not a good one. Jealous much?

I think what I like about SMFA is that it didn't go after the hip crowd. It wasn't trying to be poignant like Adventure Time, edgy like Regular Show, or ironic like the Problem Solverz (or whatever the heck Annoying Orange is supposed to be). It has an unpretentious feel to it you don't see in many cartoons now.

Seconded on Disney princess overload. At least Wreck It Ralph subverted the formula a bit.

Spark Of Spirit

Cat's Don't Dance is a lot better than people remember it being.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Third....ed...the Princess overload. It's frustrating that people associate Disney with only princesses and fairy tales, as though Fantasia, Ichibod and Mr. Toad, The Great Mouse Detective, Tarzan, and Treasure Planet don't exist.

The Reserved Nutcase

-I agree with Spark of Spirit, I really liked Cat's Don't Dance.  Max was hilarious ("How does the kitty cat go?" *frighteningly meows* "Very GOOOOOOOOOOOOD").  Too bad it did abysmal at the box office.

-On the subject of Disney movies.  As in I've always found movies like Jungle Book, The Great Mouse Detective and Wreck-It Ralph to be far more fun than say Cinderella, Snow White (well I liked the dwarves) and Sleeping Beauty, so I guess I fourth-ed the Princess overload.  Though I don't completely shun them, my two favorite Disney movies that involve the princesses are Tangled and Aladdin.  Beauty and the Beast & Mulan come second. 

Dr. Insomniac

The pleas of overly-sensitive fans of cartoons who refuse to view any legitimate criticism with anything more than a petty glare have become so formulaic that I've found a cute, little Bingo sheet that perfectly describes them.

Just replace the Eragon references with whatever show's fans do any of these at the moment.

Grave

If you devote time to discussing the negative points of this series, you have no life. But discussing its strengths is a hobby.

WHAT?! Please tell me people don't talk like that.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on January 20, 2013, 10:45:08 AM
I think Potterheads use this up as well.

More like fanboys in general. Any series has its fans that will never accept any form of criticism to their favorite "masterpiece" of a work. That even includes series that I'm a fan of. For instance, as I've stated before, despite liking Hunter X Hunter, I also criticize a lot of weaker aspects of the series and blame it on Togashi being lazy with his writing. I once had some douche-bag attempt to counter all of my points by saying that I just didn't get that Togashi was an "eccentric" writer (the dude writes a somewhat dark shonen series, there's nothing fucking eccentric about it), which apparently was enough to wave off any so-called flaws I pointed out in his work. What a load.

Also, this applies to a lot of popular, well-liked series. For instance, I love Batman: The Animated Series as much as the next person, but I hate how so many people just typically seem to ignore that it has quite a few mediocre to downright bad episodes (in all honesty I'd say about a third of the episodes in the series fall into that range). You can still really love a series but admit that it has its flaws and problems, but I can't stand it when people try to cover up anything wrong with a series in order to hold the illusion that its absolutely perfect (for the record, I don't believe that there is a single work of art on this planet that I would consider to be absolutely perfect in every conceivable way). At least I can admit the faults of stuff that I like, and say that I still like it because for me the strengths outweigh the weaknesses.

For example, I pretty much hate most of the World Tour Segment of Gargoyles, and that's a pretty sizable chunk of episodes right there. That said, while I admit that its a bland spot for the series (at least to me), I still love the show because it also brought me some of the greatest and most memorable stories that I've ever personally seen in animation, such as City of Stone and The Gathering, just to name 2 of my favorite examples.

Avaitor

Oh, another thing. I don't get why Adventure Time fans think it can be such an allegorical and philosophical show, when it's nothing more than just a yuk-fest.

Not to say that it's a bad thing, but there's nothing to the show but laughs.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

The Shadow Gentleman

Walt Disney wasn't a racist.

Mr. Big

The Shadow Gentleman

Avaitor

So, what does it say about Disney if I think Dreamworks will make a better Rime of the Ancient Mariner animated film than they would?

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on February 11, 2013, 10:46:48 AM
The more I think about it, the more I realize that arguments against Ed, eDd n' Eddy are complete bullshit.
Careful now. There's a difference between defending a show from baseless accusations, and refusing to acknowledge valid criticisms. We don't want to be DarthGonzos here.