Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I thought you liked Teen Titans Go!?

Anyway, some unpopular opinions:

• Daria is the best show MTV has ever made. Beavis and Butthead doesn't even come close, sorry.
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars went on too long and had some boring as fuck episodes, but there are enough good ones in it to consider it a fairly good action show. I like better than any of the movies, to be honest, although I've never been a fan of this franchise even when I was younger, so YMMV.
  • Teen Titans Go! is kinda dull.  :??:
  • The only Teen Titans story arc that was very good in my opinion was the Trigon arc. All the other ones were either rushed like the Terra arc, or otherwise hindered by shabby plotting like the Brother Blood and Brotherhood of Evil arcs.
  • I like Superman: The Animated Series slightly more than Batman: The Animated Series, mainly because I find the former to be a little more consistent in quality and have more enjoyable supporting characters. I still really like BTAS obviously, but I honestly rarely find Batman and Robin themselves interesting aside from a couple episodes like Robin's Reckoning and I Am the Night, so really it comes down to the villain being really interesting, whereas I find Superman and his supporting cast a lot more fun so I get more mileage out of them rather than just the villain on a per episode basis. That said, I like Gargoyles better than either of them.  :P
  • I find it hard to watch a lot of comedy cartoons from my childhood these days. A lot of them are just too...loud. Some I can sit through fine and love, like Rocko's Modern Life and early SpongeBob, but I can only watch one or two Animaniacs or Cow and Chicken's at a time before I just have to stop and watch something else.
  • The Amazing World of Gumball and Regular Show are neck in neck as the best children's comedy cartoons on today. I like Gravity Falls and all, but I find those two much funnier more consistently, even if Regular Show's bro humor can be a little grating sometimes.
  • Ed, Edd, n' Eddy is the best cartoon cartoon. I love Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Sheep in the Big City, and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, but E,E, & E beats them in consistency and the freshness of it's humor.
  • Johnny Bravo's last season was flat-out awful. Almost as bad as the last season of Dexter's Laboratory. Almost.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 13, 2013, 11:12:01 AM
  • Johnny Bravo's last season was flat-out awful. Almost as bad as the last season of Dexter's Laboratory. Almost.
I'm not so sure if this really unpopular. I mean, those seasons actively killed said shows.  :sweat:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

GregX

Silverstar

Quote from: Cartoon XI thought you liked Teen Titans Go!?

I do like it, but I harbor no delusions; I'll be the first to admit TTGO! isn't Shakespeare. It's goofy and silly and juvenile, but that can still be entertaining if done properly and professionally. Warner Bros. Animation has always done silly quite well.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

The Shadow Gentleman

• I like Superman: The Animated Series slightly more than Batman: The Animated Series, mainly because I find the former to be a little more consistent in quality and have more enjoyable supporting characters. I still really like BTAS obviously, but I honestly rarely find Batman and Robin themselves interesting aside from a couple episodes like Robin's Reckoning and I Am the Night, so really it comes down to the villain being really interesting, whereas I find Superman and his supporting cast a lot more fun so I get more mileage out of them rather than just the villain on a per episode basis. That said, I like Gargoyles better than either of them.  :P
While I can't say I like it more than BTAS, I have a soft spot for STAS and it's in my top ten for sure. Maybe it's just becasue Supes is my favorite superhero, but I agree with it being more consistent.
  • I find it hard to watch a lot of comedy cartoons from my childhood these days. A lot of them are just too...loud. Some I can sit through fine and love, like Rocko's Modern Life and early SpongeBob, but I can only watch one or two Animaniacs or Cow and Chicken's at a time before I just have to stop and watch something else.
Which shows are you referring too, because I don't think any of the shows I watched as a kid that actually hold up are too loud.

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 13, 2013, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 13, 2013, 04:09:37 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 13, 2013, 03:35:41 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 13, 2013, 02:58:36 AM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 12, 2013, 09:33:06 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 11, 2013, 11:29:14 PM
New/MTV.s Spider-Man is better than Spectacular.
:char:
It's not my fault that you like a shitty cartoon :sly:
Can you explain why this show is supposedly "shitty", good sir?
It's factually shitty because it has characters that are plagued with bad dialogue like it's version of Doc Ock.
And what "bad" dialogue would you be referring to?
Just watch his first episode and take your pick.

Quote from: GregX on June 13, 2013, 11:49:38 AM

Quiet, stranger. Real members are speaking ;)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 13, 2013, 11:18:21 AM
I'm not so sure if this really unpopular. I mean, those seasons actively killed said shows.  :sweat:
I think I watched two of those episodes a day ago. It's the ones where Van Partible is back on the show, right? The episode sections about some Babysitter S'urprise movie shit and the one where Johnny is at home with Mother Goose characters are so incomprehensible and...bad. I found myself confusing and dosing off at the same time. I did like the El Guapo whatsitsname episode a bit though. It seemed like an earlier season episode.

Also Cartoon X, Animaniacs and Cow & Chicken bored me as a kid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, season 5 returns to the style of the first season because he came back.

IMO, it was a bad idea.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 13, 2013, 12:16:21 PM

Which shows are you referring too, because I don't think any of the shows I watched as a kid that actually hold up are too loud.

More or less shows shows that nowadays I find the voice acting to be a little too quirky or the music too loud and repetitive, or where there is more yelling than I'd like to see. More or less I prefer shows with a kind of "relaxed" energy. I'm not exactly sure how to describe that, but I guess it's just how the dialogue and music sound to my ears makes a difference in how much I enjoy watching something. I like wacky shows mind you, and some of them I would say are loud. My favorite show ever is Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, which is one of the wackiest and over the top shows ever made. It's just somehow I kinda get turned off in some cases when a show has a comedic energy that is just too...I dunno, fast and in your face? Like I said, I myself find it hard to describe exactly what is preventing me from really getting into a couple of shows from my childhood, aside from that kind of comedic energy I see in them that doesn't really do much for me anymore.  :??:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 13, 2013, 12:22:45 PM
Yeah, season 5 returns to the style of the first season because he came back.

IMO, it was a bad idea.
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so random.

Avaitor

I used to like the last season as much as the rest of the show, but the only episode that I've seen in recent years is the Hollywood one, and if the rest of those episodes are like that, then yeah, I can see how it was a bad season.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 13, 2013, 12:39:34 PM

More or less shows shows that nowadays I find the voice acting to be a little too quirky or the music too loud and repetitive, or where there is more yelling than I'd like to see. More or less I prefer shows with a kind of "relaxed" energy. I'm not exactly sure how to describe that, but I guess it's just how the dialogue and music sound to my ears makes a difference in how much I enjoy watching something. I like wacky shows mind you, and some of them I would say are loud. My favorite show ever is Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, which is one of the wackiest and over the top shows ever made. It's just somehow I kinda get turned off in some cases when a show has a comedic energy that is just too...I dunno, fast and in your face? Like I said, I myself find it hard to describe exactly what is preventing me from really getting into a couple of shows from my childhood, aside from that kind of comedic energy I see in them that doesn't really do much for me anymore.  :??:
Oh, I totally see where your coming from. I prefer "relaxed" shows as well.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 13, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
It's factually shitty because it has characters that are plagued with bad dialogue like it's version of Doc Ock.
Not liking the dialogue of a single character doesn't make a show shit.

Dr. Insomniac

I would like to say that you mustn't feed the village idiot outside of visiting hours.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 13, 2013, 01:18:00 PM
I would like to say that you mustn't feed the village idiot outside of visiting hours.
I concur. This has become tiresome.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 13, 2013, 01:13:39 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on June 13, 2013, 12:39:34 PM

Oh, I totally see where your coming from. I prefer "relaxed" shows as well.

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 13, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
Not liking the dialogue of a single character doesn't make a show shit.

I know. You went away from talking about the show in it's entirety when you asked me about my opinion on Doc Ock. Pay attention.

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 13, 2013, 01:24:41 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 13, 2013, 01:18:00 PM
I concur. This has become tiresome.
Yeah, we don't want to feed you anymore. Your lack of focus has made it not worth it.