Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It's really on here that Ren & Stimpy gets an overwhelming negative reception.

I like it more than most people on here, but I see its faults and it doesn't rank too highly on my favorites. I can also see where the influence that modern animators took from R&S, and genuinely enjoy the show at its best, which is where my appreciation comes from it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I admire John K. as an animator and an artist, but certainty not as a writer and conceptualist. Ren and Stimpy, at it's best, really is quite incredible, but the problem is it was only at it's best for 10% of the shows' run, and the rest of it is pretty mediocre in my experiences watching through it, not even getting into the abomination that is APC. I don't think the main show deserves too much hate, but I also think it doesn't deserve too much praise. It's a love-it or hate-it show, but overall, I myself would call it a flawed, but significant cartoon in animation history, that at it's best serves as an example of what television animation should strive for, and at it's worst shows what television animation should not be.

Mr. Big

You know, the Games-era episodes get a ton of hate, but not all are bad. Some are almost on-par with an average Spumco episode.

"Stimpy's Cartoon Show" and "An Abe Divided" are pretty good. I also like "Feud for Sale" (which doesn't feature Ren and Stimpy at all) and "Reverend Jack".

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 13, 2013, 11:47:41 PM
I admire John K. as an animator and an artist, but certainty not as a writer and conceptualist. Ren and Stimpy, at it's best, really is quite incredible, but the problem is it was only at it's best for 10% of the shows' run, and the rest of it is pretty mediocre in my experiences watching through it, not even getting into the abomination that is APC. I don't think the main show deserves too much hate, but I also think it doesn't deserve too much praise. It's a love-it or hate-it show, but overall, I myself would call it a flawed, but significant cartoon in animation history, that at it's best serves as an example of what television animation should strive for, and at it's worst shows what television animation should not be.
This, all of this. Exactly how I feel about it.

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on August 14, 2013, 04:02:34 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on August 13, 2013, 11:47:41 PM
This, all of this. Exactly how I feel about it.
Absolutely.

John K. is his own worst enemy. He has a creative mind for ideas, but he can barely write and direct worth a damn. I do admire his stubborn nature to have a need to go his own path with his creations and have decent creative control. But you also need to be able to work with your employers and listen to what they say or suffer the consequences thereof.

Mr. Big

I know Thad Komorowski is a controversial figure in animation fandom, but everybody should check out his book "Sick Little Monkeys", which goes into details on what went on in the production of Ren & Stimpy, even devoting chapters on the Games-era of the show. It's very well done.

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Avaitor on September 03, 2013, 12:56:15 PM
Dalek be damned, The Black Cauldron rules.
:thumbup:

I've always had a soft spot for that movie. Watched it all the time as a kid.

Commode

American Dad is awful, always has been awful, yet people on the internet love it.  I don't get it.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Comeau on September 29, 2013, 08:32:49 PM
American Dad is awful, always has been awful, yet people on the internet love it.  I don't get it.

:il_rope:

Commode

I don't know what that represents. I am slightly(more than slightly?) drunk though.

I've never really liked the show, but tonight's episode has so far been just as funny as the Family Guy and The Simpsons episodes before it.  Which is to say painfully unfunny.

Nel_Annette

It's one of my top 5 animated shows, honestly. Just my kind of humor (most of the time).

Eddy

I don't go out of my way to watch American Dad but of all the Seth MacFarlane shows I like it a lot more than Family Guy or, ugh, The Cleveland Show.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody