Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 09:13:12 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 23, 2014, 09:03:16 PM
I don't think The Beach was that bad but then maybe I'm too good at watching shows on "cruise control"
I mainly don't like it because it really has no purpose for being there. As a character episode it doesn't work, as a comedy episode it falls flat, and as fanservice it would better served as a fanfic.

I don't think there's anything about it I like.

You're wrong on all counts, but whatever.

LumRanmaYasha

I like "The Beach" myself. It's a good look into the doubts and insecurities of Zuko, Mai, Ty Lee, and Azula, which makes it a good episode in Zuko's character arc that season, gives Ty Lee and Mai some actual backstory making them more interesting characters, and develops the idea of Azula's long-seeded mommy issues that caused her to go crazy in the finale. Also, I just found it amusing to see them try to fit in with regular teenagers.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 23, 2014, 09:37:40 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 09:13:12 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 23, 2014, 09:03:16 PM
I don't think The Beach was that bad but then maybe I'm too good at watching shows on "cruise control"
I mainly don't like it because it really has no purpose for being there. As a character episode it doesn't work, as a comedy episode it falls flat, and as fanservice it would better served as a fanfic.

I don't think there's anything about it I like.

You're wrong on all counts, but whatever.
Thanks!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 09:42:56 PM
I like "The Beach" myself. It's a good look into the doubts and insecurities of Zuko, Mai, Ty Lee, and Azula, which makes it a good episode in Zuko's character arc that season, gives Ty Lee and Mai some actual backstory making them more interesting characters, and develops the idea of Azula's long-seeded mommy issues that caused her to go crazy in the finale. Also, I just found it amusing to see them try to fit in with regular teenagers.
Glad to see you enjoyed it. Obviously, considering the thread title, I'm alone in this.

What would you consider the show's worst episode?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me, it's The Swamp. The foreshadowing is pointless since it's either stuff already foreshadowed in earlier episodes or something just a couple of episodes away, and as a stand-alone episode it's just an unfocused mess.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 09:42:56 PM
Yep and it also brought up Zuko's issue with his father and how Ozai unexplainingly went from loving dad to evil asshole. I personally thought the episode could not just be considered a throwaway because of that. It's also brought up in a recap of an episode and ties in to Katara finding a picture of Ozai as a baby. Again, Ozai inexplicably turning into a terrible person and how he used to be a good one is brought up.
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 23, 2014, 09:50:19 PM
For me, it's The Swamp. The foreshadowing is pointless since it's either stuff already foreshadowed in earlier episodes or something just a couple of episodes away, and as a stand-alone episode it's just an unfocused mess.
I might need to rewatch that episode. Also....why was the swamp/Earth, etc. alive? I'm not sure if that was ever explained. In fact, thinking about it kind of creeps me out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I'll have to second that I've never really cared for "The Swamp." I'm not that fond of the first few season two episodes before "The Blind Bandit" in general, "Return to Omashu" aside.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 11:43:11 PM
Yeah, I'll have to second that I've never really cared for "The Swamp." I'm not that fond of the first few season two episodes before "The Blind Bandit" in general, "Return to Omashu" aside.
Once you get to the Blind Bandit it really takes off, but yeah, the first couple of episodes are just sort of there. I don't remember liking the premiere episode all too much.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 23, 2014, 11:43:11 PM
Hmm, People seem to not like the very first episode of Book 2 and 3. I thought they were decent.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought that The Avatar State was OK, mainly for Zuko's sub-plot and the introduction of Azula as the new main villain of the series. Team Avatar's side of the plot was more predictable and by the numbers, but contained necessary exposition for how the Avatar State worked and also foreshadowed a lot of what would come later on in the season. It was a decent set-up episode for what it was. Return to Omashu was also pretty decent, but yeah, the first 5 episodes of Book 2 felt rather filler-ish for the most part, hence why I initially stopped watching the show at that point before deciding to pick it back up again once Doug Walker decided to do his V-Logs and reminded me that it even existed in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

The Zuko plot of "The Avatar State" was good, but the Aang plot really held it back. But I'm not sure what it was with season 2 and 3 that they needed to put a bunch of filler-ish stuff near the beginning, you usually save that for mid-season. Though I guess in season 2's case that would have meant staying in the city a lot longer and some people thought it was too long to begin with.

I still like it more than most of Korra season 2, though.

gunswordfist

Yeah, this is yet another show I need to rewatch. I'm somewhere in between really liking and loving the show as of now,

Peanutbutter

Heart of Ice is not the best episode of Batman: The Animated Series. It's a good episode, yes but the overall BEST EPISODE EVER the way people on certain sites hype it up to be. It did a wonderful job at recreating Mr. Freeze but there are plenty of episodes that had even more emotion to them, like Two-Face's debut.

Avaitor

Didn't you post the exact same thing like, a couple of months ago? :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I agree that I think there were much more emotional episodes of the series, like "Perchance to Dream" and "Baby Doll." I like "Heart of Ice" a lot, but it's not one of my top favorite B:TAS episodes.