Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Real talk- if you think The Princess and the Frog is irredeemable racist trash, but you give Pocahontas a free pass. you need to recheck your priorities.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 24, 2014, 11:00:30 AM
Real talk- if you think The Princess and the Frog is irredeemable racist trash, but you give Pocahontas a free pass. you need to recheck your priorities.
I really like TP&TF and think Pocahontas is garbage.

And it has nothing to do with race.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Speedy

How is P&TF racist anyway?  Honest question.

Dr. Insomniac

It's racist the same way Mulan's racist, in that it did a pretty good job with the story and research, but some social justice nitwit will decree racism simply because they're from white directors.

Avaitor

Well to be fair, I do think that the argument that the first black princess in a Disney movie becoming a frog brings up questionable issues is a legit one, but... let's just say that some of us know certain people who will use this debate to the nth degree.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Does hating "Legend of Korra" count as an unpopular opinion?

Dr. Insomniac

It's only unpopular if it doesn't get repeated every day.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: GregX on August 26, 2014, 03:24:37 PM
Does hating "Legend of Korra" count as an unpopular opinion?

From what I've seen the reception to the show has been all over the place since its inception. Some people seem to love it, others have mixed feelings about it, and a good portion of people downright hate it. So, it's probably not too unpopular of an opinion, but depending on the way you look at it, I believe it could still count as one.

As for me, it takes a lot for me to hate something (it has to be at least ThunderCats 2011 or USM levels of bad), so I've never hated Korra as a series, but I do believe that it's nowhere close to ATLA in its prime. Either way, Mike and Bryan stated that they don't want to do anymore Avatar related stuff after season 4, so people are free to just forget about it and pretend that it doesn't exist once the series ends for good.

Speedy

That's not an unpopular opinion at all.  Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who liked Korra's second season.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I liked the Beginnings 2-parter, at least. The rest of the season was easily my least favorite Avatar season by far, though. Still, even that I don't hate with a burning passion compared to some actual shitty shows that I've been subject to. It's just something that I have no desire to re-watch, but my negativity doesn't really go beyond that.

Spark Of Spirit

The only thing I really disliked about Korra was season 2. No idea what they were thinking with that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Homura Akemi on August 26, 2014, 04:03:42 PMIsn't Gargoyles just Shakespeare with bats, coupled with a really substandard 3rd season

Goliath Chronicles is non-canon.

LumRanmaYasha

As far as Korra goes, the only season I hate is the second season (the Beginnings two-parter is okay, though). I thought the first season was decent but not on the same level as any of the Avatar seasons, while I really enjoyed the third season, and might say I like it more than book one of Avatar. Overall, though, I can't say I really like or dislike the show. I'm kind of just "eh" on the series overall.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Homura Akemi on August 26, 2014, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2014, 04:15:14 PM
Quote from: Homura Akemi on August 26, 2014, 04:03:42 PMIsn't Gargoyles just Shakespeare with bats, coupled with a really substandard 3rd season

Goliath Chronicles is non-canon.

It's still substandard, which is more than I can say for the first two seasons. Eww.

No, Gargoyles isn't terrible. It's as good as Korra!

Nel_Annette

Season 1 of Korra's alright until that abysmal finale. Season 2 is crap barring the Beginnings 2-parter, which is a shame when you have an entity like Vaatu and an event as big as Harmonic Convergence as the centerpiece (seriously, he's basically the villain of the entire franchise, and he gets stuck with a bore like Unalaq.). Season 3 is bloody fantastic, and my second favorite season of the franchise as a whole.