What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Chinese caricature aside, doing the same sounds good to me. I ended up liking The Flintstones more the last time I regularly watched it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I ordered the second Looney Tunes Platinum Collection release, and I didn't know that it came with a handful of MGM shorts. Some of Friz's work is there, but the really important thing is that about a dozen or so of Tex's shorts are on it!!!!! A handful of Droopy shorts, which are already on their own DVD set, but there's a good amount of his other work, such as "Red Hot Riding Hood", "Screwball Squirrel", and "King-Size Canary", among others.

This isn't the same as a set of his MGM work, but I'm happy enough. I wouldn't mind a DVD release of his material, if it came down to it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Seeing Anomalisa, Kung Fu Panda 3, and Boy & the World in the span of a week has done wonders to prove that animation is alive and well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

So, everything else was running fine as I was getting to the JLU finale, until out of nowhere, "Alive!" craps out on me, and now the disc barely works anymore. When I was watching the previous episodes on my player last night, it ran fine, but now it decides to stop working! I even switched to my laptop, and nada.

I checked for a replacement disc, but it honestly looks cheaper to just get a new copy of the season at this point. And I can wait to do that, since I'm not exactly a fan of Luthor's Flanderization near the end of the show's run.

So I'm done with my Justice League rewatch. It's pretty inconsistent throughout, aside from the second season, which is about as close to perfect as a super hero show can get. Now, I think that I'll finally pull out my Hey Arnold! set!

New blog!

gunswordfist

Never could finish a Justice League playthrough myself. Good lord at the thought of trying to start over at from the beginning for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time.

Avaitor

You know, I never saw "Man's Best Friend", the banned Ren & Stimpy episode before, so I decided to finally fix this.

Yep, Ren very nearly kills George Liquor with an oar. Because that's supposed to be funny, I guess. But there isn't really that much that's funny in this episode. I do think that Ren & Stimpy can genuinely be a great show, but I think that this is proof that John K shouldn't have TOO much creative control, since he's kind of a sociopath. A funny sociopath, sometimes, but yikes.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I went 4 episodes deep in Young Justice Season 2. After I got over how frickin' terrible the dialogue was for the first 15 minutes, I really got into it.

Lord Il

Quote from: Avaitor on March 29, 2016, 10:31:56 PM
You know, I never saw "Man's Best Friend", the banned Ren & Stimpy episode before, so I decided to finally fix this.

Yep, Ren very nearly kills George Liquor with an oar. Because that's supposed to be funny, I guess. But there isn't really that much that's funny in this episode. I do think that Ren & Stimpy can genuinely be a great show, but I think that this is proof that John K shouldn't have TOO much creative control, since he's kind of a sociopath. A funny sociopath, sometimes, but yikes.
Yeah, I think I can recall touching on the subject of John K. once before about that very thing. When Spike TV wanted him to revive the series, they pretty much gave him all creative control. I can take a lot of messed up content, but this was ridiculous! :il_hahaha: The episode where Ren & Stimpy are living a spittoon.... holy shit! :pedro_nooo: The ONLY cartoon that made me dry heave the first time I saw it.
----------

So I just finished the last episode of that candy themed anime Dagashi Kashi. It has nearly nothing of interesting plot or story... yet I watched it anyway. Have I really sunk so low as to watch something like this??  :lol: Well, I thought the characters were fun at least with some comedic appeal. And it was sort of educational about different Japanese candies. Really.

gunswordfist

The mode is crashed! I actually liked the overuse of Bill & Ted's Adventure style lingo.  :D I'm now up to episode 7. Also, episode 5 pretty much made me hate Wonder Girl before they even got to the mission. Batgirl's close.

Spark Of Spirit

Still disappointed that Impulse didn't get much focus and Tim Drake Robin got none. They were part of the original Young Justice team, it would have been nice for the nod here. Even X-Men Evo gave a nod to their original team.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I'm up to episode 13 or so of Invasion and I'm liking it. The show has been pretty intense for me and I'm liking seeing Static and Deathstroke. I understand that they want to give the younger superheroes more limelight but the complete absence of the Justice League is a bit much though.

gunswordfist

Uh yeah, I'm enjoying Season 2 of Young Justice more than any arc from The Avengers. I don't understand why it got so many complaints. Season 1 is certainly better but still. I'm 20 episodes in and I kind of don't see how they can stretch this conflict into 6 more episodes, so there's that. I'll wait and see.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 08, 2016, 01:26:59 AMUh yeah, I'm enjoying Season 2 of Young Justice more than any arc from The Avengers.

:il_rope:

A rushed story arc with too many characters and limited development for them in combination with more sub-plots that could have been cut does not equate to great material.

I'm saying this as a huge fan of Greg Weisman's work.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember season 2 being 20 episodes. Not 26. Is that not right?

Season 2 would have benefited with better pacing if it had the proper 26.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Finished the season. Pfftt, of course it was 20 episodes lol. Easier for me to think of why people would criticize it now. How everyone believed random aliens over the Justice League almost instantly, was insane. I thought Godfrey and Tseng were brainwashed and/or replaced with a clone but apparently not.

Then there's the Reach itself. I was confused as to who the leader was and how big of a leader they were until the show was almost over. I thought Black Beetle might have been the leader but he also came off as another soldier. Then they made it clear that wimpy Ambassador was his boss. I assumed he was the leader of all the Reach and not just the army on Earth. Hell, maybe he is. Idk. He wasn't really convincing as a major villain.

The Light did a good job of doing nothing but behind the scenes work. Nice plan but it's boring to watch. I expected much more from them seeing as they are a group of major villains instead of one leader and a bunch of henchmen like with Lex and Grodd's gangs in Justice League. Then you have Static being a mostly useless rookie despite him fighting 99% machines and Deathstroke was assigned to literally sit down for days and was taken down offscreen. Those two were the new additions I was the most excited about.

The last episode was pretty weak and felt rushed.

The dialogue was not that good a lot of the time and I cared for few characters outside of my favorites Black Beetle (despite his problems.), Red Volcano (it was good to see this snarky bastard again), Aqualad, Superboy, Blue Beetle, Arsenal and Impulse. Impulse really grew on me and Arsenal was a pleasant surprise. Plus him trying to kill Lex was probably my favorite action sequence.

With that said, I still really enjoyed this season and liked any episode I saw Peter David's name on it. It was the best animated undercover superhero story I've ever watched and was pretty entertaining for reasons I mentioned in other post.
Recently watched superhero cartoon rankings:
5. Avengers/Wolverine And The X-Men
4. Young Justice
3. Green Lantern
2. Justice League
1. Batman TBATB