Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Thoughts of two "plotholes".

1. Hiei says regular humans would shrivel up by inhaling the wind in Demon World... and yet humans stumble into it frequently in the end.

2. King Enma wants Yusuke either dead, or in Demon World... So they gonna elaborate on why Yusuke's allowed to return to the human world in the last episode?

gunswordfist

For 2., everything about Yusuke returning is a complete mystery, so there you go. 1. could in fact be a plothole.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

For 1, I'm pretty sure it's just Hiei being cocky. For 2, Koenma had more pull in Spirit World by the end of the series and he basically used it to bring Yusuke back.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Figure it's time for me to respond to the responses on this point:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 23, 2012, 06:58:03 PM
2. Isn't Sensui's level of power supposed to be "rare, even in Demon World"?

Some good points were made, in that it's not a plothole to see as many S classes as we do, considering Demon World is so huge. But I also agree that it's just bad writing, and yet another cop-out. Like, I'm sure you guys remember that scene when in E71, The Tunnel, Koenma says "You have to understand the alternative. If just one S class demon crossed into the living world...". From that point they show images of colossal demons in the human world wrecking havoc. I'm not gonna lie, that scene was scary. Those demons seemed completely immortal and unstoppable. It's especially effective in that they show the reactions of regular humans, people like us, to it. And then the whole scene is covered in a reddish sky, and it's really dark. You don't have a good view of what the demons really look like, but what you can see is really intimidating.

It's true that this scene isn't an actual event. It's purely the character's imagination of what would happen. But that's not the point, really. This scene creates a buildup and a sort of expectation. And how do they live up to that? Meh. A big friendly ogre with goat horns, a crazy drunk lady, and a few other characters that really don't leave much impression. The kings are okay, but still don't quite live up to that expectation. Ironically the only one that does, in my opinion, is Sensui yet again, even though he's not really one of the strongest characters in the series. Maybe this greatly has to do with what you see him do. You see him becoming invincible, you see him become even more invincible as the fight continues. You watch him murder Yusuke, and then almost do the same to the other characters in their vain attempt to avenge their friend.

With most of the characters in the final season, you really don't get much of a feel for their strength. It's mostly just other characters saying "Uh, these guys are tough". It all goes back to "show, don't tell". Seeing what someone can do is more effective than being told. Because let me tell you, when Sensui was effortlessly beating Yusuke's powered-up friends, I really believed that there was no way they could win. :o

gunswordfist

Koenma said it best. When something happened to the barrier (not sure if this was when Kuwabara cut it down or what) and Seaman said something like "Wait, shouldn't we all be dead?" like they were supposed to be instantly dead or something and then Koenma explains that the S class demons havoc would take time to wreck the world and not be instantaneous.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 26, 2012, 02:06:22 PM
Koenma said it best. When something happened to the barrier (not sure if this was when Kuwabara cut it down or what) and Seaman said something like "Wait, shouldn't we all be dead?" like they were supposed to be instantly dead or something and then Koenma explains that the S class demons havoc would take time to wreck the world and not be instantaneous.

Yeah, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

gunswordfist

I meant that there's really no demons that can blow cities away like that scene implied.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 26, 2012, 02:26:41 PM
I meant that there's really no demons that can blow cities away like that scene implied.

Sensui was holding back as much as he could in Demon's Door cave, and yet he was causing notable damage to the earth. And when he unleashed his power, blew up a plateau in an instant. I wouldn't be surprised if he could destroy a city. I think Koenma was just saying that the S class demons were waiting till they knew it was safe to pass through to the human world. He went on to say something along the lines of (not an exact quote) "And then, they'll unleash destruction far more than anything man has ever created, and that is how the world will end."

talonmalon333

Who do you guys like better between Karasu and Bui?

Dr. Insomniac

Bui had more of a reason to fight (so he wouldn't be just second-best). Also, his method of fighting didn't involve bombing things to death, so that counts.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 02, 2012, 06:19:25 PM
Who do you guys like better between Karasu and Bui?
That's a damn good question. I guess Bui. He can probably go up in the air and bomb (pun intended) Karasu and call it a day.

EDIT: I thought the question was about who would win in a fight. That's what I get for glancing while using all these tabs. Everyone knows I'm a Bui fan. There's nothing to pay attention to about Karasu except his powers are extremely cool - just as cool as Bui's. I always liked that about the two - they made Team Toguro that much more badass. I need to watch the part where they blow away some team again.

gunswordfist

Side note on the two, I love how Bui wasn't killed like you'd assume every member on Team Toguro would be since that's pretty cliche for shounen.

I love how Karasu came into the Kurama fight blind. As a teen, I was already sick of "Haha! I know all your moves" as seen in too many animated series so for a villain to go into a fight not knowing what he was getting into was very interesting to me. He even said something like "I don't know if you are crazy or what for being in this fight."

talonmalon333

I do really like Bui's little story, and he deserves credit for being the first to overpower the Dragon of Darkness Flame. However, I'd go with Karasu. In all of his scenes, he was so... creepy. To me, he left a far bigger impression. I also don't think Bui's dialogue was particularly memorable, and his design was just okay.

Rynnec

Too bad Bui never appeared again after Hiei defeated him, you'd think he'd become an ally, or have a rematch with Hiei or something.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 02, 2012, 09:05:52 PM
I do really like Bui's little story, and he deserves credit for being the first to overpower the Dragon of Darkness Flame. However, I'd go with Karasu. In all of his scenes, he was so... creepy. To me, he left a far bigger impression. I also don't think Bui's dialogue was particularly memorable, and his design was just okay.

Karasu was also the only one to on Team Toguro "win" against his Team Urameshi opponent (even though he still died), so he probably deserves props for that.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, sucks how Bui never even appeared during the Three Kings arc.