Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Justin Cook posted a Funimation Youtube video about the blu-ray

http://youtu.be/sG7X7sp_22s
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Angus on May 16, 2011, 02:56:13 PM
Justin Cook posted a Funimation Youtube video about the blu-ray

http://youtu.be/sG7X7sp_22s

Heh, Yeah, Aurora already posted the link to that video a couple of pages back. :sweat:

I also gave my thoughts on it about a page or so back, as well.

Angus

ok, cool. the long replies hid that away
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

While I wait for my season 3 and 4 sets to ship (Sigh, amazon) I decided to watch everything I own which is up to episode 70 - Genkai's Ruse.

I've always liked how Chapter Black started. It took the typical shonen cliche of "You're the strongest dude in the world, what could possibly phase you?" and instead of being boring and throwing in a more powerful guy to repeat the same plot, we are instantly thrown in the other direction.

In other words, the very first guy we fight after this:

Is him:

Seems lame, huh? Yet he manages to beat both Hiei and Kuwabara and captures Botan as well, almost netting Kurama on top of it. All of this, and he is considerably weaker than all of them by far. Hell, Yusuke is captured pretty easily himself, and could have been killed within seconds had his opponents been malicious. This is quite the interesting shift in tone from the Dark Tournament's "Strength is everything" motif where in Chapter Black not thinking ahead can lead to death in just as gruesome a manner.

The last episode I watched in my sets include Genkai teaching them all this very important lesson, just before they learn the true threat ahead of them.

It takes the tactics based battling from the early SD arc and puts them on steroids, not just in action, but in the plot which tells you just how different this will be from everything else you've seen so far.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You pretty much nailed my own thoughts down on the beginning of the Chapter Black arc. The first time I was watching this when it aired on Toonami, I realized the brilliant thing about it was that I had no idea what would happen next. Sure, the Dark Tournament arc was excellent in execution and is still to this day the best tournament arc that I have seen in any shonen, but I have to admit that I never had any doubts as to how it would ultimately end (as in Yusuke would defeat Toguro). With the Chapter Black arc, as soon as I saw how radically different the shift in tone was and even the type of threat and villains were, I was immediately taken by surprise and got more excited to see each new episode week-by-week in extreme anticipation of what would happen next, and I was never once let down....until I tuned in one week to find absolutely no new episode there, or the week after that, or the week after that, until I had realized that Cartoon Network had suddenly moved the series to 5:30 AM without telling anyone and I ended up missing the final third of the CB arc. :'(

As far as the beginning goes, when it was revealed that these guys who were toying around with Yusuke and the others using this new ability called "territories," while being significantly weaker in fighting ability than any of them, were actually their allies working under Genkai to test their wits, I thought to myself: Wow, if these guys put them through so much trouble and weren't even trying to kill them, I wonder how the hell they're even going to be able to survive against actual villains utilizing these types of abilities....

Needless to say, it immediately became my favorite arc once we finally did get to the villains (especially the main one ;) ).

Spark Of Spirit

Haha, didn't they take it off right at the point Kazuya appeared, too? Man, that was such a piss off.

You know it's a classic arc when you have modern shonens stealing directly from it, much like Kenshin's redemption arc. It took the best aspects of the previous arcs and cranked them up to ten here. I can't wait to rewatch the rest.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on May 19, 2011, 06:41:04 AM
While I wait for my season 3 and 4 sets to ship (Sigh, amazon) I decided to watch everything I own which is up to episode 70 - Genkai's Ruse.

I've always liked how Chapter Black started. It took the typical shonen cliche of "You're the strongest dude in the world, what could possibly phase you?" and instead of being boring and throwing in a more powerful guy to repeat the same plot, we are instantly thrown in the other direction.

In other words, the very first guy we fight after this:

Is him:

Seems lame, huh? Yet he manages to beat both Hiei and Kuwabara and captures Botan as well, almost netting Kurama on top of it. All of this, and he is considerably weaker than all of them by far. Hell, Yusuke is captured pretty easily himself, and could have been killed within seconds had his opponents been malicious. This is quite the interesting shift in tone from the Dark Tournament's "Strength is everything" motif where in Chapter Black not thinking ahead can lead to death in just as gruesome a manner.

The last episode I watched in my sets include Genkai teaching them all this very important lesson, just before they learn the true threat ahead of them.

It takes the tactics based battling from the early SD arc and puts them on steroids, not just in action, but in the plot which tells you just how different this will be from everything else you've seen so far.
Such a great post. I'm sure EK loved the hell out of it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Aurora

Speaking of Chapter Black, I forget. Why didn't Sensui just go Sacred Energy asses on them and beat the hell out of everybody immediately?

In fact I gotta lot of questions both dumb, and out of curiosity! When I get the chance I'll post them!

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 19, 2011, 11:27:34 AM
until I tuned in one week to find absolutely no new episode there, or the week after that, or the week after that, until I had realized that Cartoon Network had suddenly moved the series to 5:30 AM without telling anyone and I ended up missing the final third of the CB arc. :'(

BWUHHHAHAHAHA!  :whip:

Mang, good thing I checked the schedule of Yuyu Hakusho on Friday a day before the airing of "Death of a Spirit Detective", and knew about the 5:00 a.m. change.  ;D

And then I proceeded to oversleep alot and miss alot of the Three Kings Arc. D-:

But atleast, I saw the last episode! Which was incredible then and still is now. Yes, I cried then too.  :'(

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Aurora on May 20, 2011, 04:46:46 PM
Speaking of Chapter Black, I forget. Why didn't Sensui just go Sacred Energy asses on them and beat the hell out of everybody immediately?

Well, only Shinobu could use the sacred energy as someone who was pure of sin, and he had to save that personality of his until the end since he was doing nothing but sinful things using both Minoru and Kazuya, neither of who could use sacred energy. Also, sacred energy boosts him up to S class, and S classes couldn't pass through the barrier to demon world (of course he ended up breaking the barrier, but either way he couldn't even make it through the tunnel/portal in an S class form until after doing that.

Aurora

Actually now that you mention the hole between Living and Demon World, let me get one thing straight.

Only D and E classes could get through entirely with, A's-C's getting through here and again. But, thanks to that portal all higher A's-C's could get through without trouble. And only S-classes were left behind at home as long as the Kekai was up? Correct?

Niether that or Koenma and Yusuke/Raizen's right handman(who's name escapes at the moment) contradict each other. 

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Aurora on May 20, 2011, 05:01:31 PM
Actually now that you mention the hole between Living and Demon World, let me get one thing straight.

Only D and E classes could get through entirely with, A's-C's getting through here and again. But, thanks to that portal all higher A's-C's could get through without trouble. And only S-classes were left behind at home as long as the Kekai was up? Correct?

Niether that or Koenma and Yusuke/Raizen's right handman(who's name escapes at the moment) contradict each other.

Actually, Koenma explained that the barrier was there to keep demons of B class and above out, but C and D class (I don't believe that an E call was ever even mentioned anywhere in the series) demons could slip through from time to time. That would explain why Toguro could never make it through the portal to demon world which is why he was stuck with weaker beings in the human world, since no other demon that could cross over to the human world could be above a C class (unless they somehow got stronger after crossing the barrier as weaker class demons; just FYI I believe it was implied that both Karasu and Bui may have been 2 such demons since they were really weak when either of the Toguro brothers had initially defeated them).

As for Hokushin, He was able to cross the barrier because he used a device that sapped most of his power so that he could only emit the energy of a D class apparition, which is why he and those 2 other random servants of Raizen were able to make it past the barrier.

Aurora

I would go on, but I can't I generously offered a pal of mine the last season so, he could watch. Since you know. CN change it to early morning. :imnothappy: So, he couldn't finish it either. But both Koenma and Hokushin seemed to had contradict each other I swear. YOU'LL SEE! :-P
I seriously hope he enjoys though.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 20, 2011, 04:53:13 PMAlso, sacred energy boosts him up to S class, and S classes couldn't pass through the barrier to demon world (of course he ended up breaking the barrier, but either way he couldn't even make it through the tunnel/portal in an S class form until after doing that.

Well Sensui was a human, so he was able to pass through the barrier. It was Hiei and Kurama that needed the barrier to be broken.

Quote from: Aurora on May 24, 2011, 05:19:28 AMI would go on, but I can't I generously offered a pal of mine the last season so, he could watch. Since you know. CN change it to early morning. :imnothappy: So, he couldn't finish it either. But both Koenma and Hokushin seemed to had contradict each other I swear. YOU'LL SEE! :-P
I seriously hope he enjoys though.

I'll never forgive Cartoon Network for doing that. Series deserves respect. :P

Aurora

Great your back! Now get with the arguing!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Aurora on May 24, 2011, 10:41:05 PM
Great your back! Now get with the arguing!

NO U!

... How's that?