Yu Yu Hakusho

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I think Koenma said "super A class", now that I think about it. Not super S class. Regardless, that term was only used once and then never again for the rest of Chapter Black onward. My guess is that it's something the dub decided to throw in, and a rather silly addition too. S class is all that's above A class, and it essentially categorizes demons that the Spirit World can't handle.

I like the sense of honor that exists in Demon World, and the decision to make it a futuristic but also primitive world run by kings living in kingdoms. However, at the same time, I do still kind of prefer the idea of Demon World that they give off in Chapter Black. At that point, it's just this savage unknown world and we have no idea what it's like, except that it's something to be feared above anything else. And I especially like the way Koenma described it, like an infinite series of basements that go deeper and deeper, and the lower you get the more dangerous the world gets (and how Koenma mentions that, out of all that, they only control half of the first basement). The actual Demon World really wasn't much like that. Guess that goes with the idea that nothing can really live up to your imagination.

Had the series ended with Chapter Black, Demon World would have been left like that, and all we would have seen of it was that small piece of land on the other side of the tunnel, where that plateau is located that Sensui fights Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei on. But being that the story continued, they went the best direction they could've gone.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll have to disagree with that. Having Demon World be as savage and barren place in general would be the 1-dimensional generic thing to do. And it also wouldn't make much sense given how many smart demons we had already seen in the series. Making it a world with a civil order and kingdoms and such that paralleled many of the concepts of our own world was more unique and ingenious, and it's part of Togashi's trademark writing style that makes him stand out. It also fits much in line with the whole message of the Chapter Black arc, that you can't really separate humans and demons as black and white polar opposites. There are both good humans and demons, and also ones that are complete scumbags, so it only makes sense that there are also plenty of civilized and orderly demons in their own dimension. It would be alright to have savage and scary demons that exist within that world, but having a whole world like that would be a rather boring concept in the long-run, IMO.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 19, 2014, 04:05:44 PM
I'll have to disagree with that. Having Demon World be as savage and barren place in general would be the 1-dimensional generic thing to do. And it also wouldn't make much sense given how many smart demons we had already seen in the series. Making it a world with a civil order and kingdoms and such that paralleled many of the concepts of our own world was more unique and ingenious, and it's part of Togashi's trademark writing style that makes him stand out. It also fits much in line with the whole message of the Chapter Black arc, that you can't really separate humans and demons as black and white polar opposites. There are both good humans and demons, and also ones that are complete scumbags, so it only makes sense that there are also plenty of civilized and orderly demons in their own dimension. It would be alright to have savage and scary demons that exist within that world, but having a whole world like that would be a rather boring concept in the long-run, IMO.

In a way, I agree with what you say here. Making a story arc out of a big world of mindless chaos wouldn't be as interesting. However, what I was mainly trying to say was that I preferred when we really hadn't seen much of Demon World. It was shrouded in mystery, but all we knew was that it was dangerous and that the tunnel to Demon World must not be opened. From there, the characters as, well as the viewers, can imagine what it could be like themselves. Before we learned what it's really like, I think Demon World was really interesting as an idea.

But being that they did decide to flesh it out and clear up that mystery, I think Togashi did an excellent job and took it in the best possible direction he could've. So I agree with all of your points there.

talonmalon333

I changed my mind. I really like the feeling of fear and mystery that they instill into you with the concept of Demon World in Chapter Black. But I prefer the idea of them fleshing it out with more humanity. That initial feeling would've worked had the series ended with Chapter Black. But the fact is, they didn't. And I didn't necessarily want them to (well, it would've been a great ending, but my ideal ending is still a war, anyway).

gunswordfist

HXH made me think about this - was the only time all 4 of the main characters in YYH fought alongside each other once or twice during The Saint Beasts arc?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 22, 2014, 01:35:11 AM
HXH made me think about this - was the only time all 4 of the main characters in YYH fought alongside each other once or twice during The Saint Beasts arc?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. They fought together nearly the whole show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He means at the same time. Not in one-on-one battles with the other characters commentating on the sidelines.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 22, 2014, 03:50:44 PM
He means at the same time. Not in one-on-one battles with the other characters commentating on the sidelines.

Ah. In that case, I can't think of any moment where all four of them fought together. The closest they came was Kuwabara, Kurama, Hiei fighting those zombie people in Maze Castle, and Sensui in Demon World. I vaguely remember them fighting together maybe a few times in one of the movies, but I might be wrong about that.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 22, 2014, 03:50:44 PM
:D Typical Shonen.

I was thinking about the movie too. I believe they only fought as a team at the end. Man was that main villain ridiculously overpowered. He was literally invincible and a reality alterer but the moron decided to pull out his source of power for no reason. What an idiot.

Umm, anyway, only Kazuma, Hiei and Kurama fought sensui at the same time. Yusuke fought him separately. He's probably the only common opponent they all share. I think the closest was...Hiei before that, lol Well unless you don't count Hiei and Kuwabara's "fights"

talonmalon333

So I think these are my overall favorite Yu Yu Hakusho songs, and in this order.

Smile Bomb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67hnY1PLkdE
I'm kind of obligated to put this at #1, but it probably is the best Yu Yu Hakusho song. And I don't think that's just pure nostalgia, but admittedly I do have a lot of nostalgia for it. I vividly remember when I was young and watching this show on Adult Swim and hearing this song, finding it funny how it seemed to not have much to do with the actual show. I also remember Adult Swim airing a marathon of Genkai's Tournament, and my brought and I, immature as we were, found it funny to blast the volume as loud as it can possibly get whenever during the opening theme. We probably thought it was funny because it was 12:00 AM at night. But yeah. Like I said, I do actually like this song beyond nostalgia. I especially like the second verse of the song onward (which ironically is the part that isn't in the show's opening). That's the part that really seems to make me think back to everything the characters went through over the course of the show, perhaps because it makes me think of the ending credits of the final episode. Very good idea to play this song in show's ending.

Sayonara wa Iwanai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5XQICACzGw
Might be the odd choice because I'm picking a song that really isn't part of the show. This is the theme of the movie, Poltergeist Report. Now that movie was okay, not really bad but not necessarily all that good. However, I really liked this song from the first time I heard it, I have no trouble calling it my favorite part of that movie, and the song I like more than the majority of the Yu Yu Hakusho songs. There's just something really nice about it, from the melody to the energy in the singing. That about sums it up.

Daydream Generation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_cZGskQAE
My favorite ending theme was always The Sun will Shine Again. But I think I've come to see this one as my favorite. And I connect that to the feel of this show's ending. I have to say about the Demon World Tournament. As much as I don't really like it, there is one single thing about it that I really do like a lot. There's a real feeling of harmony to it, like everyone is finding peace and is happy fighting each other. Call it corny, but I just liked that aspect of it. There was a feeling of joy hanging over it. I liked that, if nothing else. And this ending theme captures that same joyful feeling. There is also a bit of a sad feeling to it, though. In the animation for this song, all of the characters are seen, and watching it I tend to be reminded that the series is coming to an end. I felt like that when I was watching the Demon World Tournament for the first time, and I still tend to get those feelings when I rewatch the series now.

talonmalon333

So I was recently thinking, and it has really hit me that, after the first arc, Botan becomes nearly useless. And I think this is particularly painful for her because I already found her to be sort of annoying.

This is unfortunate because I think she's not only very likable in the first season, but she was important. I'd argue she was the second most important character of the first season. She was upbeat and a bit ditsy, but it was always kept in check. And she always had something to contribute. She eased Yusuke into his detective role and gave him his tools, she protected Kayko while Yusuke was fighting with Hiei, and she even stood up to Gouki. She also took care of the city while Yusuke's crew was dealing with Maze Castle, and I don't think I need to mention how important she was to the first few episodes where Yusuke was a ghost. Even in Genkai's tournament, where she really couldn't do anything, she always had something important and good to say.

I'd say the shift occurred in the Rescue Yukina story. She kind of just went along with Yusuke and Kuwabara for the ride. But it's especially noticeable in the next three seasons. I struggle to think of many important things she did from the Dark Tournament onward. Even Kayko at least had more character moments in them. Botan just acts silly and tries to backtalk the announcer Koto when she was just doing her job. She wasn't needed when the crew went into the House of Four Dimensions. In fact, she practically said the word "hot" the moment they walked into the house, before Kurama caught her. Then Koenma put her in charge of the group when they went to Demon's Door Cave, though I fail to see why because she still didn't do anything. They even left her outside when the rest of the group went into the cave because she was useless. In fact, of the 90 or so episodes that followed Maze Castle, the only things I can remember her contributing were finding Hiei at the beginning of Chapter Black and then convincing him to join the group when they went to rescue Yusuke.

Even in the last episode of the entire series, when all of the characters are coming together one last time, Botan feels like a side note. They even introduce her that way. She just sort of pops up into the group after everyone has already been reunited. 100 episodes prior, it's something you'd never expect to be done with her.

So yeah, that's what I think. The character of Botan is really one of my only problems with this series. I feel like, for the most part, the four moral support girls don't have that much character. But Botan in particularly just doesn't do anything for me after the first 20 episodes. She just sort of meows a lot and acts dumb as a way to get some laugh, but I just find her to be sort of irritating instead. Maybe I'm alone with this opinion, because Botan never struck me as a character that people dislike. But I really can't think of much more she offered after the first season.

Rynnec

These may be the best valentine's greetings ever.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Please tell me that those are real. :swoon:

gunswordfist

Rynnec

According to the original FB post, yes. These are actual, unofficial e-cards you can give to people.